Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
You got a source for that last statement?
Until now we only have paid reviewers on the Valve Index headset and they are only allowed to comment on the hardware.

It was the first Tested video when they talked about the Index after having tried the Reverb.

Start watching about 7:00 in.

He said he didn't think the reduction in stereo overlap was an issue with the Index and that the reduction in overlap wasn't egregious like it was with the HP from what he could remember.

So it's not like he had them side by side or it was a scientific comparison The HP had left an impression with him that it's stereo overlap was worse. That's all.

I do find it humorous that you feel you have "confirmed" the Reverb is best for Sims, but say all these other reviews are worthless. Seems a bit like biased filtering.

I hope you enjoy your Reverb as much as I expect to enjoy my Index.

Just remember that these are all disposable and something much better than anything available today will probably be released in the next couple years, so it isn't worth fighting over.

Last edited:
What troubles me is that my Titan XP will not be able to drive the Index nor the Reverb properly:unsure:

But maybe next year’s GPU’s we’ll get proper 120Hz sim racing and think it will be a marked improvement for the fidelity. I’ve researched a bit about frame-rate and sim racing, apparently going higher than 60fps improves the experience dramatically, up to ~ 100fps. Above 120fps there is little to no benefit. So the Index’s 120Hz seems like a perfect match for sim racing. Now we need proper GPU’s to drive it. But the fight between AMD and Intel and NVIDIA is a good thing for us, we might see some exciting new stuff soon!

Of course active foveated rendering will solve all these problems, but that is also something apparently far into the future.

I will definitely try to get 120fps with my current setup by lowering everything down to minimum, so I can judge if it makes a difference. Reports say they improved their racing when switching from 60fps to 120 or 144fps screens, giving a much more fluid and believable racing experience. Racing seems to be one area that benefits from higher framerates, maybe since we’re going so fast and it’s all about response times.

• Deleted member 197115

What troubles me is that my Titan XP will not be able to drive the Index nor the Reverb properly:unsure:
Why, what do you use now? CPU load will not change with resolution. And if you use SS, with Reverb you can just drop it down to 1:1, 100%
@Dan Costa, follow this discussion, fix is coming.

• Deleted member 197115

Didn't Tested also mention that resolution is nowhere near Reverb which is in a whole another league altogether.
For current Vive Pro, Odyssey owners Index will be either marginal upgrade or just sidegrade when you just interested in seating experience with highest resolution possible.
Wish OJO showed some signs of life.

Didn't Tested also mention that resolution is nowhere near Reverb which is in a whole another league altogether.
For current Vive Pro, Odyssey owners Index will be either marginal upgrade or just sidegrade when you just interested in seating experience with highest resolution possible.
Wish OJO showed some signs of life.

Wasn’t OJO supposed to be revealed today or tomorrow?

Of course active foveated rendering will solve all these problems, but that is also something apparently far into the future.

Don't be so sure it will solve all of our problems. There is overhead involved in foveated rendering too.
HTC said they would expect only a 30% improvement with the Vive Pro.

That's about the difference between a 1080Ti and 2080Ti.

Granted that was with the Vive Pro. It's "possible" that as resolutions increase the difference will be more pronounced, but that's only if the overhead doesn't scale linearly with resolution. Fingers crossed.

Of course it's also possible that over time they will be able to dramatically improve the overhead.

I do find it humorous that you feel you have "confirmed" the Reverb is best for Sims, but say all these other reviews are worthless. Seems a bit like biased filtering.

I hope you enjoy your Reverb as much as I expect to enjoy my Index.

I did not say the reviewer are worthless just they are paid and are only allowed to comment on hardware as the software are still being developed. And that is in their disclaimer!

It is actual users of Reverb that calmed it was the best HMD for sim's of the consumer headsets.
Maybe the Index will be better but no users got a set and none of the review's I have seen has made a comparison.
You have gone from Fanatic Rift supporter to now Fanatic fan boy of a headset that you have no knowledge if it is the right one for you.
I hope you will be happy with it but being fanatic about something is never a good thing.

I doubt I will get a Reverb before some kind of FFR are implemented as it can't even run on a RTX 2080ti and I only got a RTX 2070

How am I a Fanatec fanboy?
I've replaced my Fanatec pedals and hand brake with Heusinkveld controls.
I've been lusting after the Pro-Sim H shifter for some time now.
Most recently in the DD conversations I think I've been very even about the pros and cons I've seen of the SimCube 2 and Fanatec DD's. Initially I was overly optimistic about the DD, and I admit that. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on that one and I'm not rushing or itchy to upgrade at this time. I think it will be at least half a year before I have a clue about them.

In the case of the Index, there really isn't much competition because I am a full VR user who cares about the hand controllers and precise tracking for room scale use. Even if it wasn't the absolute best for sim use, it won't be far off and will still be an overall improvement over my Rift. So I don't have any doubts about it being a great fit for me.

Will it be surpassed by something else with in the next 1-2 years? Definitely in 2 and maybe even in 1. I don't have any illusions about anything VR related having a long half life.

Ahhhhhh.

I absolutely do consider the Rift the best all around headset that has been out, for room scale and headset comfort, and touch controllers. It has weaknesses, but taken together it was absolutely the best choice for my needs.

All the others have had deal breakers for "me".

The Index is a cake and eat it headset to me. I keep all the things I like and improve on all of them.

Why, what do you use now? CPU load will not change with resolution. And if you use SS, with Reverb you can just drop it down to 1:1, 100%
@Dan Costa, follow this discussion, fix is coming.
I did not say the reviewer are worthless just they are paid and are only allowed to comment on hardware as the software are still being developed. And that is in their disclaimer!

It is actual users of Reverb that calmed it was the best HMD for sim's of the consumer headsets.
Maybe the Index will be better but no users got a set and none of the review's I have seen has made a comparison.
You have gone from Fanatic Rift supporter to now Fanatic fan boy of a headset that you have no knowledge if it is the right one for you.
I hope you will be happy with it but being fanatic about something is never a good thing.
I doubt I will get a Reverb before some kind of FFR are implemented as it can't even run on a RTX 2080ti and I only got a RTX 2070

I agree with you guys, I bought the reverb because it's probably what I can get as soon as possible (in addition to the rift S that doesn't excite me in any respect), since I sold the CV1 this week. If once tried I see that it fails to hold the 90fps of AC even at 1:1 of SS with 8/10 cars, then obviously I will consider another VR, even if belonging to the index I do not see alternatives at the moment.

I can setup 3D there to have incredible amounts of depth (using a registry hack to get basically as much depth as you want).
Sorry for OT but I have Nvidea 3d but I've given up. Just get ghosting no matter what I do. The more depth the worse the ghosting. Shame because otherwise I'd use it. Would this reg hack help me?

Real user impressions on Reverb

In a head to head with the Index, the Reverb gets murdered if you consider all aspects required for a well rounded hmd.

Thing is, I only care about being seated and doing nothing but sim racing. Couldn't care less about any of the other aspects and that's what's drawing into wanting one of these. The only thing stopping me is the absolute need for a more powerful gpu to power it as my 1080 wouldn't have any chance of running the Reverb at a decent level.

When I add the cost of those two things up I lose enthusiasm.

And round and round I go :O_o:

• Deleted member 197115

In a head to head with the Index, the Reverb gets murdered if you consider all aspects required for a well rounded hmd.

Thing is, I only care about being seated and doing nothing but sim racing. Couldn't care less about any of the other aspects and that's what's drawing into wanting one of these. The only thing stopping me is the absolute need for a more powerful gpu to power it as my 1080 wouldn't have any chance of running the Reverb at a decent level.

When I add the cost of those two things up I lose enthusiasm.

And round and round I go :O_o:
You have Odyssey, right? Open SteamVR and do this, see how it runs.

Reverb 2160xx2160=4665600
Which is approximately 188% SS resolution of Odyssey 1952x2440=4762880

I am on 210% now, the sharpest for Odyssey matching its internal scaling limit, this is with 1080Ti, so you should be fine.
upload_2019-5-30_17-36-7.png

You have Odyssey, right? Open SteamVR and do this, see how it runs.

Reverb 2160xx2160=4665600
Which is approximately 188% SS resolution of Odyssey 1952x2440=4762880

I am on 210% now, the sharpest for Odyssey matching its internal scaling limit, this is with 1080Ti, so you should be fine.
View attachment 308344

Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try this evening once I'm home from work.

From memory, I think I have that slider somewhere around the suggested default, in the 170 range so I might not be too far away :)

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 52 28.9%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 4 2.2%