Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Sorry for OT but I have Nvidea 3d but I've given up. Just get ghosting no matter what I do. The more depth the worse the ghosting. Shame because otherwise I'd use it. Would this reg hack help me?
I get barely any ghosting but ghosting has to do with pixel response time / pixel persistence so it depends on the monitor. Also, adjust the contrast level in your monitor's on-screen display. Brightness and Lightboost settings will probably not make a difference but contrast makes a big difference. You can also adjust contrast (and gamma and brightness) from the Nvidia control panel, some games are affected by those but other games ignore the NCP settings.

I have a Dell S2716DG which is very similiar to the ASUS ROG PG278Q and PG278QR and I barely have ghosting (or 3D crosstalk as it's official term). I get a bit of ghosting when there's dark objects against very bright objects like light posts against a bright sky but it's not that noticeable.

If you like, you can start a 3D Vision thread and I and others (although it's not that popular) can help you there.

I think Nvidia finally dropped 3d support, it was removed from the latest drivers. If you do clean uninstall with DDU it won"t show up during driver install.
You should try VR, I am sure even with less stereo overlap, you will be floored by virtual world coming from 3D vision. I don't think two are even comparable.
Ya, v425.58 are the last ones that come with 3D Vision but there are easy ways around this. The 3D Vision community is very active in the official Nvidia forums. The 3D Vision section there is always on top of things with all sorts of 3D Vision fixes for games that don't normally work or work good in 3D Vision (eg. Project Cars, Battlefield, Assetto Corsa Competizione, and many, many others) and they already have a fix for this. I'm using the very latest Nvidia drivers, 430.86, with full 3D Vision installed and working perfectly :)

You should try VR, I am sure even with less stereo overlap, you will be floored by virtual world coming from 3D vision. I don't think two are even comparable.
I've tried various Oculus Rift models as well as, just very recently, an HTC Vive non-Pro. They're awesome! I'll definitely be moving to a VR headset when true 2nd gen models come out (I consider these recent models more of a gen 1.5). The pure 3D depth/separation didn't seem as strong as I expected but I only had a few minutes so maybe it was all in my head. I was loving it and it gets me excited just thinking about VR simracing. I cannot wait for a VR headset to come out that ticks all my boxes. Having said that, triple-screens fully surrounding you + 3D Vision + 1:1 FOV (+ TrackIR 5 here & there) is pretty darn incredible. I still find myself laughing because of how incredibly immersive it is (although less immersive than VR headsets).

I was playing Race 07 and Automobilista for hours on end today and yesterday with 3D Vision and it's just very magical especially when you adjust convergence (pop-out) to correct values and depth to correct values. VR is even better but 3D Vision is still absolutely amazing. There's nothing else in the videogame industry that keeps on impressing me due to getting used to things and taking them for granted (better monitor, better wheel, better pedals, etc.), but not 3D Vision - it still blows me away every time.

Last edited:
For the few minute i used my HP Reverb (the unit i recived is difected) i can easy say is the top right now for sim. I also have the Rift cv1 and i used to run it with 200% super sampling in steam VR (ac, r3e, rF2 dirt rally) way less in Acc, and what ever SS in almost all the VR games.

The reverb is EASYER to pilot than the Rift + SS. With the reverb i simply match the Steam SS value with the head set native resolution (well almost coz you can’t put it in 2160x2160 per eye, just very close to)
The clarity is huge but the sweet spot is kinda tiny, in the rift is bigger, but overall clarity is good. A bit of cromatic aberration, way less gods rays, almost none. The coulor palette is a bit washed out.

I hope to recivie a functional unit next time

For the few minute i used my HP Reverb (the unit i recived is difected) i can easy say is the top right now for sim. I also have the Rift cv1 and i used to run it with 200% super sampling in steam VR (ac, r3e, rF2 dirt rally) way less in Acc, and what ever SS in almost all the VR games.

The reverb is EASYER to pilot than the Rift + SS. With the reverb i simply match the Steam SS value with the head set native resolution (well almost coz you can’t put it in 2160x2160 per eye, just very close to)
The clarity is huge but the sweet spot is kinda tiny, in the rift is bigger, but overall clarity is good. A bit of cromatic aberration, way less gods rays, almost none. The coulor palette is a bit washed out.

I hope to recivie a functional unit next time
What problem did it have?

The screen goes off and come back on, a lot. The audio at his will goes up and down. The right controller don’t get recognized, even after repairing with the unit. Is pretty broken :/

dang, so it's problemS, let's hope it's not all units like that, and that you were just one of the few unlucky, how HP will manage the return by when will they send you the new one? Thanks for the info

• Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

And the Odyssey is on sale right now !
I think for budget minded on the fence it is a better option than Rift S that can hold its own until true next gen arrives.

• Deleted member 197115

I would tend to suggest picking up a used Rift to save a bit more money, but that's based on my priorities, not yours.
Your priorities are not sim racing, we know that already.

@HoiHman did you already get your Reverb? Or when is it scheduled to arrive? Waiting on your review to decide if I'll add it to my stable..

Not yet Hugo, i have been on the phone with reseller a couple times, claiming we have a "promotional event" next week. I ordered it through my business and was offered a demo unit if it's not there on time.

According to him they expect delivery early next week and i should be in the first batch, but then again they also told me the it would ship the 29th of may.

I am actually condsidering doing a promotional event with the Reverb at the end of june. During a local fair, i thinking of offering a "Zandvoort F1 experience"

How the Reverb performs is actually a big part of that consideration.

Interesting info in the Pimax 8K X video.

What surprised me is that he said that the new Virtual-Link USB-C connector on RTX cards is not a fully open specification and that it is a placeholder for future functionality. I think specifically the issue was that they couldn't get two video signals across it yet.

I'm guessing that the hardware might be able to work as advertised, but the software driving it hasn't been finished.

Also mentioned was improving the optics to utilize a larger percentage of the panels, like the Index and StarVR system and a much higher price tag.

They claim was that a single card, I assume a 2080Ti could actually run this. If so than they will have done some incredible optimization of their Pi tools software. Given that this is becoming an open source project, the question is whether there is enough talent with the right expertise willing to step up to make these drivers more efficient.

The upside is that if they actually can make that kind of progress and the software is open source, than others might be able to learn from it. I'll be the first to admit that it might be surprising if an open source effort could make dramatic improvements compared to the other big players out there, however it has happened before. Sometimes you get the right people thinking outside the box and interesting solutions arise when competition between people who are working at something for the challenge of it and bragging rights vs. quarterly profits.

The big take away is that VR is gaining critical mass and momentum.

That would explain what appears to be an exponential increase in the number of announcements recently.

Last edited:
Not yet Hugo, i have been on the phone with reseller a couple times, claiming we have a "promotional event" next week. I ordered it through my business and was offered a demo unit if it's not there on time.

According to him they expect delivery early next week and i should be in the first batch, but then again they also told me the it would ship the 29th of may.

I am actually condsidering doing a promotional event with the Reverb at the end of june. During a local fair, i thinking of offering a "Zandvoort F1 experience"

How the Reverb performs is actually a big part of that consideration.

That sounds exciting! I hope you get it working by then. Also, you’ll get lots of feedback from different IPD’s and facial structures, that’s worth a lot for an extensive review;)

The real gold will be your comparison between Reverb and Index when you get yours end of this month.. please share all the juicy details once that happens?

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 47 32.9%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 3 2.1%