Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
And wrong conclusion on why Pimax did that, has nothing to do with "current hardware isn't adequate", Display Port 1.4 can only transmit 4k, thus they needed onboard upscaler to stretch it out to native resolution. 8KX has two DP inputs and can support 8K natively.

But... Two cards are not currently supported in VR. This is one of the things StarVR was working with NVidia to accomplish, so that option doesn't exist yet.

There is also that new VR port on the new RTX cards that physically looks like a USB-C connector. By the specs of that port, it could handle that resolution and then some. Too bad it doesn't have the power to push it yet or at least the software to make a two card configuration work.

• Deleted member 197115

You don't need two cards for two display ports.

I'm curious if the new Rift S will have the new USB-C all in one connector. Granted very few people will have a card with this feature, but it would be nice to see it start to gain adoption.

On a separate note.
HTC rep mentioned modular aspect of Cosmos,
https://uploadvr.com/modular-vive-cosmos-scale/
Does that mean possibility of unloading some processing onto HMD itself?
Theoretically that is possible. If you get a warped image to the hmd and leave the hmd to calculate just AA for instance, or to interpolate the image instead of fully rendering it, you could possibly offload that to a hmd using a dedicated chip like the one in oculus quest it could be doable. Question is if there is any interest.

Yes, I remember that event last year. Everyone got a credit for their next game purchase. It was all resolved in a day.

Was it a royal screw up? Sure it was, but it doesn't mean the Rift is still not the best supported PC headset out there.

• Deleted member 197115

GDC starts Monday, HTC Cosmos should be there too. Will be interesting to see both and how specs compare. Software IPD adjustment on Rift S is a big bummer.

I never switch my racing to VR. AC and ACC in VR are mostly used to look around in the car.

However, Google Earth VR is a really nice toy. That's VR like it should be. I think there is still exploration going on wrt what VR is strong in.

(hint: had to update my ATI drivers this week to make Google Earth VR work)

• Deleted member 197115

Odyssey is a step above on everything the rift has to offer, except in comfort. Sold my rift in an instant after receiving my O+.
Dan, you should really grab this, if you planning on keeping your Odyssey+, makes a world of a difference.

Dan, you should really grab this, if you planning on keeping your Odyssey+, makes a world of a difference.

Thanks. Yeah I saw that when it launched but It seems geared towards fixing light bleed. My problem with it is general comfort and I already have some mods in my O+ to address them.

No way I'm selling it :)

• Deleted member 197115

It's not only light bleed, comfort improves a lot as padding is super soft, face literally sinks into it, like a bum into Lazy Boy chair, eliminates all the wiggling too.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Watch party

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 2.0%