Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Optical instrument does not have IPD adjustment?
Even cheapest opera binocular has one. :O_o:

That HP HMD is a big let down, same old two tracking cameras (hello blind spot), LCD instead of OLED, non adjustable IPD. Makes Odyssey+ sound superior to that one.
We'll see what big hitters have up their sleeve.

That HP HMD is a big let down, same old two tracking cameras (hello blind spot), LCD instead of OLED, non adjustable IPD. Makes Odyssey+ sound superior to that one.

I think you guys may have misread the announcement. The IPD is fixed but it is adjustable...it's just in software. By default it is around 62mm, but software will adjust it from 53mm to 73mm.

Therefore, it'll give you the same amount of flexibility as before and similar to what everyone else has. Oculus Rift S is rumored to be doing the same thing with a fixed IPD that can be adjusted via software.

Are you using a cheap Opera Binocular for VR? ;)
Must admit my IPD is 63.5 mm so personally have no use for adjustments.:cool:
Would much rather have a eye to lens adjustment!

Prefer LED to Oled for VR!
Much clearer with 33% more sub pixels. Huge advantage in Sims as instruments and texts are way better and easier to read.
OLED is better for movies, but do not see the point in watching movies in a VR headset?

As for tracking, never had an issue and hardly ever use my controllers so do not care if they track behind my back or not.
The $599 is too high a price for me but really like the 2160 x 2160 resolution so something like this for under $400 and my Lenovo VR headset goes up for sale.

• Deleted member 197115

How exactly software IPD works. There is a relatively small sweetspot in the middle of the lens that ideally should be right in front of you pupil for the sharpest image.
If lenses do not move physically how does it align?

How exactly software IPD works. There is a relatively small sweetspot in the middle of the lens that ideally should be right in front of you pupil for the sharpest image.
If lenses do not move physically how does it align?
It moves the display center in and out so yes you get off the sweet spot real fast.
For some it works for others it doesn't work at all.

If your IPD is less than 62 mm or larger than 65 mm it is better / safer to get a headset with adjustable IPD.

OK, 80fps vs 90 and the audio are definitely downsides.

The tracking appears to be top notch for room scale games. That is where is smacks the Odyssey and with native software support.

The increased resolution, better optics, getting rid of my camera tripods, might be enough for me try it, although I may feel compelled to get some efficient higher end headphones. I'll have to see how the sound strap works.

After reading a little more about it, they did do one thing that was brilliant. It has the exact same load on your graphics card as the original Rift, so no one needs to upgrade their computer to handle it.

Last edited:
OK, 80fps vs 90 and the audio are definitely downsides.

The tracking appears to be top notch for room scale games. That is where is smacks the Odyssey and with native software support.

The increased resolution, better optics, getting rid of my camera tripods, might be enough for me try it, although I may feel compelled to get some efficient higher end headphones. I'll have to see how the sound strap works.
Yeah, I won't swap my rift for this but seems like a decent entry. And it is cheaper than the Odyssey to boot. 40% increase in pixel density will make things less blurry and the 5 camera inside or tracking provides redundancy for 6dof so tracking will be very good I wager. I use external headsets anyways so the sound band would be off for me. Maybe I will grab one by the end the year after all.

I'll probably be an early adopter of this. It will likely be 2020 before I feel like we have hit the next real jump in PC / graphics hardware and I can't see going further than this until then.

• Deleted member 197115

GDC is not over yet. There is still a hope for more announcements.
New HP and Rift S are both lackluster entries.

Given the Rift S was billed as even more comfortable than the already very comfortable Rift, and that existing Rift owners like myself can just plug it in and go without any concerns about PC hardware or software compatibility.

Given that with its 5 inside out cameras it fully delivers on hand tracking.

Given that it has a larger sweet spot and better optics.

I'd say it pretty well makes sense as the right hardware for PC hardware right now and makes the OD+ just a heavier, less comfortable, alternative with less software support and less effective hand tracking.

• Deleted member 197115

None of them have hand tracking.
I will take image and audio quality, and physical IPD (that one in particular as I am on wide end) over slightly better comfort and archery.
On comfort side with VRCover I can't think of how it could get better.
At least I can safely hold for another release, as there is obviously absolutely nothing to see.
Unless HTC will surprise us with Cosmos, the whole GDC is a big let down for VR.
Guess it is dying indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely feels like all these VR makers see the market in terms of needing a low end device, while the loyal simracing/simflight audience for which VR is perfect is looking for a high resolution device even if its at a higher price.

Definitely feels like all these VR makers see the market in terms of needing a low end device, while the loyal simracing/simflight audience for which VR is perfect is looking for a high resolution device even if its at a higher price.

And what are you going to use to drive that device. Read the Pimax 5K thread and tell me that we can support such a device yet.

Right now we are at the just barely make work and squeak by stage. That isn't viable.

• Deleted member 197115

@RCHeliguy, what SS settings do you currently use with say AC.
My effective resolution that I can drive consistent 90 fps night and day is 200%, 2017x2517 per eye, I could push even higher except in WMR anything above 200% is getting blurry.
Why can't I use panel with native resolution like that?
And SS is a wonderful thing, you can also go below 100% if your system can't push native resolution and still get benefit of higher pixel density.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 0.8%