Issue launching RF2

Mauser118

Premium
Hi all, had a long hiatus away from rfactor2 but jyst returned to it after seeing the latest release candidate does seem to add a lot of what was needed.

Long and short of it is, i reinstalled rf2 and it refuses to launch, you get the logo on screen and then a white and black screen and then it just bombs out back to steam.

I've done all the regular suggested fixes regarding deleting/renaming the userdata folder, deleting the bin32 and bin64 folders. uninstalling/unsubscribing to items in the workshop. Veryifying rf2 afetr that produces the same result, crash to desktop.

I've submitted trace files to the support at studio387, posted in discord and the forums and gotten the same answers, which is exactly what I've done above.....several times over the last 3 days to be frank.

The bizarre thing is....I can get it to run be reverting back to the old UI version.

I know it's not a hardware issue, as my system is a core i9 10850k with 128gig of memory and a 3080ti with steam in a 2tb nvme drive and is maintained and optimised weekly.

I'm not completely IT illiterate as was suggested a few times dealing with support, but I am stumped as to how I'm going to get things going again......That being said I won't be losing sleep if I can't get it going.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Last edited:
Sorry I cannot help you.
I gave up on this game about 2 years back because I couldnt get it to run even after some reinstalls.
I guess the problem is the combination of rf2s too ancient file system + the mandatory damage of urgent files when the game crashes.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im also sleeping good because there is better and more stable racing games out there.

Sorry I cannot help you.
I gave up on this game about 2 years back because I couldnt get it to run even after some reinstalls.
I guess the problem is the combination of rf2s too ancient file system + the mandatory damage of urgent files when the game crashes.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im also sleeping good because there is better and more stable racing games out there.
It's frustrating as looking at what the latest updates have done, it seems to run a lot better in VR as well as looking a lot better too....hey ho, least ways I'll free up some much need ssd space ;-)

Hi all, had a long hiatus away from rfactor2 but jyst returned to it after seeing the latest release candidate does seem to add a lot of what was needed.

Long and short of it is, i reinstalled rf2 and it refuses to launch, you get the logo on screen and then a white and black screen and then it just bombs out back to steam.

I've done all the regular suggested fixes regarding deleting/renaming the userdata folder, deleting the bin32 and bin64 folders. uninstalling/unsubscribing to items in the workshop. Veryifying rf2 afetr that produces the same result, crash to desktop.

I've submitted trace files to the support at studio387, posted in discord and the forums and gotten the same answers, which is exactly what I've done above.....several times over the last 3 days to be frank.

The bizarre thing is....I can get it to run be reverting back to the old UI version.

I know it's not a hardware issue, as my system is a core i9 10850k with 128gig of memory and a 3080ti with steam in a 2tb nvme drive and is maintained and optimised weekly.

I'm not completely IT illiterate as was suggested a few times dealing with support, but I am stumped as to how I'm going to get things going again......That being said I won't be losing sleep if I can't get it going.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Sounds like the same issues @Bram Hengeveld has with rF2.

Anyway. Have you looked at the log in event viewer in Windows, to see if there is something there that makes sense?

I'm suspicious that Steam can save a corrupt file on Steam Cloud. If you go to rF2 Properties on Steam is the Keep Game Saves on Steam Cloud box in the general tab checked?

I hope you realise there is no need maintained and optimised ssd drives like you would with a normal HD because files are not in a fixed position as with a normal HD so files do not fragmented on an ssd, it's all done automatically with in the ssd own operating system.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same issues @Bram Hengeveld has with rF2.

Anyway. Have you looked at the log in event viewer in Windows, to see if there is something there that makes sense?
Yep, when I've rolled it back to the old UI depricated release and all the other betas, and I can't see anything that would have caused it with a brief look over the event viewer. I'm going to try rolling back again, and making a detailed log before moving to the more recent releases to see what is going on with the newer versions opposed to the old one.

Yep, when I've rolled it back to the old UI depricated release and all the other betas, and I can't see anything that would have caused it with a brief look over the event viewer. I'm going to try rolling back again, and making a detailed log before moving to the more recent releases to see what is going on with the newer versions opposed to the old one.

It should show up somewhere in the event viewer, as it is a program that starts and closes. Windows should have a log of it.

I hope you realise there is no need maintained and optimised ssd drives like you would with a normal HD because files are not in a fixed position as with a normal HD so files do not fragmented on an ssd, it's all done automatically with in the ssd own operating system.
I also use the drive as a scrub disk so a lot of data is shunted around, deleted off it as needed, so I trim once a week and run any steam updates too

Oh. Does rF2 use Cloud?:redface:
Yep it seems like it.
Steam Cloud rF2.jpg

I dunno what it stores, but Bram says he even installed rF2 on a brand new PC and still had the same issue. Just intuitively, I wonder if it's saved a corrupt file.? Maybe Mauser could try uninstalling rF2 and then log into a friends Steam account and install it? Just to prove a point I mean.

Yep it seems like it.
View attachment 561024
I dunno what it stores, but Bram says he even installed rF2 on a brand new PC and still had the same issue. Just intuitively, I wonder if it's saved a corrupt file.? Maybe Mauser could try uninstalling rF2 and then log into a friends Steam account and install it? Just to prove a point I mean.
Done the whole reinstalling, even on my mobile workstation and that has the same results, ie it gets to the black screen with "access steam community" and drops back to the steam menu.. Tried it with the steam cloud active and inactive after clean installs on seperate machines. Yet when you roll back to the depricated version it launches and is playable. Bloody annoying I can tell you

Most common problem I have seen rF2 crashing at that stage of loading is 3D Config
Don't launch rF2 click on " Launch rFactor 2 Graphics Configuration "
I've run the graphics config numerous times, and you end up with the same result. Switching monitors, and even running in the reverb g2 with no mirror produces the same net result, it won't launch to the menu. The only versions I can get running are the depricated old UI version and strangely v1121 has started to work to the clunky old UI. As soon as you update to any of the v1122 and later versions in bombs out, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the new UI

Ah okay bummer

I have 1440p for my rig and 4K for everyday use
A lot of times I use the 4K for checking new content in sims making rfmods, AC content manager so I don't need to sit in rig

When I switch monitors and forget to do 3dconfig it does the identical thing you describe, monitor will go black and I need to kill rF2, then do 3d in launcher all fine

Last edited:
Did you try adding the RF2 executable or folder to the exceptionlist of your antivirus? Sounds odd but I have to do that every couple of updates, else it will not run. Had that bug on several PC's....

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 437 69.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 272 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 290 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 128 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 169 26.9%
Back