LM55: DBR2 vs. 250 Testarossa @ Schottenring - Thu 25th October 2012

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: LM55: Aston Martin DBR2 ( Download ) vs. Ferrari 250 Testarossa ( Download )
Track: Motodrom Schottenring ( Download + GDB-fix)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
-------------Race 1-------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 10 laps)
-------------Race 2 -------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 10 laps)

Note 1: Only use skins that come with the mod.
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 3: The cars listed next to your name are the cars in the order which you will be driving them.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Knut Omdal Tveito - DBR2 / 250TR
  2. Simon Bacon - 250TR / DBR2
  3. Rokas Charlapavicius - DBR2 / 250TR
  4. Philip Brown - 250TR / DBR2
  5. Rupe Wilson - DBR2 / 250TR
  6. Hans Sneep - 250TR / DBR2
  7. Jack Smith - DBR2 / 250TR
  8. Konstantin Paul - 250TR / DBR2
  9. Dave Stephenson - DBR2 / 250TR
  10. Roland Warmenhoven - 250TR / DBR2
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Ross McGregor -
  19. Carlos Diaz -
  20. Roland Warmenhoven -
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Or maybe not !!:cry::cry:
Apparently some windows update wrecked my user account profile, which basically has shut me out of my own PC. I've initiated a system restore and ran downstairs to get my laptop on which I'm typing this now.. but it does not run GTL unfortunately

No idea if and when my PC will be back up..:mad:

So, here is my highlights (no wait, "downfalls" would be more appropriate :D)

Pre race testing: As I was testing the cars it became obvious that the keyboard wasn't going to do the job as I was power sliding everywhere. So, for the first time ever I decided to use my great second hand G25 in an online race.

Q1 - Anyone hazard a guess on what I did wrong this time? Ok, this time I waited in my pit stall for too long, so in the middle of my "not so flying lap" I ran out of time :roflmao:

Race 1: At the beginning I was trying to be as cautious as possible. Everything went rather well until the end of the first lap. There was a group of three cars in front of me and they decided to interfere with each other in the last corner. I was left with no room, touched someone and was forced to go onto the grass, but nevertheless I picked up 3 positions. After that I started to settle in, trying to concentrate hard on my "driving" task. Then all hell broke loose as there was a car parked at almost every corner. So, approaching half distance I was as high as 3rd, I believe. Sadly, my plan of finishing a race without spinning out failed miserably as I had two "moments" in the first corner. The first one was missing my braking point (or just applying wrong brake pressure) which sent me into the gravel trap, while the second one was a spin. It was that spin, that dropped me from mid-field to the rear of it. So, I was left in 5th (half of the field was gone already) with Konstantin close behind. He wasn't close enough to pass me, but I gave him the gift on the last lap as my legendary lack of concentration sent me into the pit lane. To make matters worse my pit space (?) was located before the finish line. I desperately tried to cancel the pit stop, but my lack of knowledge got me a DNF, just meters away from the line :D

Q2 - Made my lap in time and I was not last, sweet, although I managed to run in to Roland (again) in the pit lane (I was too harsh on the throttle, sorry for that.)

Race 2: I was really hoping that the more stable Testa Rossa (stable for me, at least) will give me a bit more control. But it wasn't the case. At the start I tried to be a bit more on the throttle which resulted in me going to the left instead of forward. Meanwhile, on the right side of me there was someone flipping :O_o:. The race itself was not easy. I was fighting oversteer (which I really hate) and eventually pulled the plug. I was really confused seeing the others accelerating way faster than me. Hopefully I will also get this car control one day.

So, all in all I think that the hot cup of tea made me a winner today. :cautious:

Congratulations to all the finishers, as there was not too many of them and well done to the podium finishers.

And of course, thanks guy's for having me tonight and till' we meet again.

Rokas

Well after loads of practice to tame these beast I had 2 setups that worked good for me .Race 1 :)... got pole by a second in the DBR2, really happy with that..
Set of a a rate of nots with knut on my inside and we were in for a great battle...I was slowly pulling away.
But as I went round the first corner on the second lap....there was a car coming in the opposite direction..(poor Hans had gone off track and got lost) I think almost pooped myself.. (These things happen Hans I know it was an accident :))
head on booom.. and that was it my steering was at 45deg.. but I got going again.
Knut was waiting on the next bend in the gravel he had taken avoidance and also got clipped..:( So we both set off after the pack. It took me the rest of the lap to find out my car was not well... but we were still racing...then Knut hit the pit entrance and did a massive triple salco with a full twist or 2 and I went underneath his spinning car in search of the pack ahead.. I was gaining on the pack and making a few good passes but my inside tyre was red..
maybe driving to hard or effect of shunt.. in the end it got cooled down as I went for a swim when I overcooked the last left hander...so I quit and sat on the side wondering how this all happened...:sick::roflmao:

Race 2 me and Knut decided not to qually and start from the rear..we both had similar lap time in the little bit of practice and was joking about coming from behind..
As the race started, I had gone not more than 40m when a car in front hit the inside barrier, spinning across the track and tapped me sending across the track into the gravel and down the embankment.
Some days it better to stay in bed :rolleyes: ..So I got back on track about 15 seconds behind the pack... it took me what seemed like ages to catch them back up and had a couple of near misses as I was trying to overtake cars.. people not seeing I was on the inside of them when turning in..(these were hard cars to drive and concentration on keeping straight I guess..) but I was still making up places and the last incident before I called it a night was in a up hill left hander when the car in front caught me out with a closing apex and I took to the grass in avoidance.. (I wasn't expecting the car to come across when it did) after a few more corners id had enough and called it a night.. still great fun while it lasted hope we get to use these cars again as I do like them:)

All in a days racing...:D

What can I say.. Whoa! Now that, was something different.:O_o:
These cars... this track.... it almost felt like a different game.
I imagine this is more or less what driving Grand Prix Legends was like, a challenge not to be taken lightly. And I suspect exactly that, his GPL experience, partially explains the excellent performance displayed by Hans who was lightning quick all night.:thumbsup:

I myself was happy I got some practice laps in on wednesday night already, as my PC acted up on thursday:mad:. Got in just at the start of Q1, and qualied slowest of all, but, mainly due to Rupe's stable 250TR setup:thumbsup: , at least I could get a time in.

Immediately after one of my better R1 starts Hans was all over me trying to find a way past, while I was going as fast as I dared to...:redface:
End of lap 1 a slight loss of grip led him into a slide way off track, causing some collisions on the way.. I think most of us could continue though, and I soon saw more and more people along the various roadsides:D and keeping my Ferrari on track got me as far up as 2nd place!:)

The DBR2 was even more of a handful and despite Rupe sharing his setup for this beast as well, I struggled like it was a Corolla times 10.
But.. the laptimes when I didn't crash were few, but quick. So quick I even Qualied 2nd, and began the race in the lead!!
1 lap later though I lost the car braking for turn 1, and once more few turns later. By then I was last, which actually felt as a relief, with noone around I could focus on dealing with just the car. I finished last as well, which was basically all I could ask for, finishing..

Clearly these cars demand some time invested in them, but they'll reward the driver in driving fun me thinks. This particular cars/track combo was, once again, an awesome match Knut, just a bit more than I could chew without proper prep. :unsure:
If more of the LM55 cars match this well, I'd love to see a short race series in them, like an inbetween leagues-kind-of-thing maybe?:inlove:

Thanks Knut, for another of these how-on-earth-did-he-come-up-with-THAT-combo:thumbsup: events, and to all who dared to try it :D
Thanks Rupe, for sharing your setups, which saved my night.

And Rokas, you're right, keyboard doesn't cut it with this game. My (second-hand) G25 has served me well for quite some time now, you'll never want to go back!

My most embarrassing moment in sim racing.:notworthy:
R1 Ferrari 250. Q on p5 not bad after a good start p4 after T1 behind Roland having a close first lap,entering the start-finn line Roland go slightly to the left so I go to the left as well an then things go very bad, the car went unstable in the front ( could not get rid of this behaviour heave to ask Knut !) car go to the right an hit Roland send me off backwards to the left of the track an make a spin there in my chatbox "stop&go"? ok can take that! but no idea where I was start the car an drive up the track ,in XD Hans Sneep P1 ?? something wrong here,slow down by the bridge an before I can say Oh..(My God)ther was a car approaching me no time to hit escape an Bam hit frontal on to Rupe his car ! even Knut involved ,sitting there for a moment an hit escape not easy to describe wat went through my had at that moment.

LV2zugoO

7TC1Yg7k

t17Dob9H

GRAB_005.jpg

quoted Rupe: I think almost pooped myself..
GRAB_008.jpg

R2 Aston DBR, Q on p4 good start but not the fastest after a few laps an some guys passing on p2 ?! not for long if Knut is behind you, going a little of in the right downhill corner an there was Knut ,during the following laps dropped back even to p6 but managed to come back to p4 after trouble from the guys even fin on p3! I think because David drove in to the pits! ( this one makes me feel a bit better ) some pics of R2:
GRAB_010.jpg
GRAB_011.jpg
GRAB_013.jpg
GRAB_014.jpg
GRAB_015.jpg
GRAB_016.jpg
GRAB_017kopie.jpg

Well that was a remarkable race evening,In love wish these cars !!
Thanks Knut for setting this up,an the guys for racing !!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%