Meta (Oculus) Quest 3 vs Samsung Odyssey For VR Sim Racing?

If given a choice between the Quest 3 and Samsung Odyssey for Sim Racing in VR (thru Steam), which would you choose?

I know that the Quest 3 is more versatile in that it's standalone and doesn't need a PC for its own games and apps, but AFAIK, it can also be used with a PC for "PCVR games". If that's the case, what's required to connect it to a PC?

I'd imagine that while the Odyssey uses "Steam VR", the Quest 3 would use "Oculus VR", right?

So is one better than the other for PC sim racing? I'm referring to sims like AMS2, AC, Dirt Rally 2, etc.

Thanks!

choice between the Quest 3 and Samsung Odyssey for Sim Racing in VR
FWIW, I had a Samsung Odyssey, still have an Odyssey+ and HP Reverb
  • Odyssey had noticeable screen door effect (SDE)
  • Odyssey+ optically eliminated SDE
Both lacked resolution to e.g. resolve Daytona road course turn 1 apex
soon enough (for me) from the (not) "front straight", while Reverb does,
Short answer Quest 3
Based on @wajdi comparison with Reverb, Quest 3 does seem the right choice,
provided that your GPU can adequately oversample and compress with high quality.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So it looks like the Quest 3 potentially would perform better, then.

Would either of you care to reply to my 2 questions about the Quest 3?:

1. What's required to connect it to a PC?

2. I'd imagine that while the Odyssey uses "Steam VR", the Quest 3 would use "Oculus VR", right?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So it looks like the Quest 3 potentially would perform better, then.

Would either of you care to reply to my 2 questions about the Quest 3?:

1. What's required to connect it to a PC?

2. I'd imagine that while the Odyssey uses "Steam VR", the Quest 3 would use "Oculus VR", right?

Thanks again.
1. You can run it with an USB-c cable or with wireless with a dedicated wifi6 router using either oculus link OR Virtual desktop
2. Depends on the game and if you're using Virtual Desktop or not. With Virtual Desktop you use SteamVR or OpenXr

Imho Virtual desktop is the way to go since it has better image quality and a much better interface compared to the Oculus Link, but you do need a dedicated Wifi 6 router.

Last edited:
1. You can run it with an USB-c cable or with wireless with a dedicated wifi6 router using either oculus link OR Virtual desktop
2. Depends on the game and if you're using Virtual Desktop or not. With Virtual Desktop you use SteamVR or OpenXr

Imho Virtual desktop is the way to go since it has better image quality and a much better interface compared to the Oculus Link, but you do need a dedicated Wifi 6 router.
Steam link can also stream vr now and is free. Have potential for lower latencies then vd codecs it seems. As for image quality there is a lot of settings to fiddle with but I find steamlink and vd both work good with the quest 3. If I would simrace I would for sure get the link cable and connect it to a high powered usb port so I don´t have to worry about any battery management and extra latency. I recon there is still some due to the compression going on but doubt it´s to bad with the link cable at least. With VD and decent codecs I am seldom below 45. And the best codecs give me 60ms in input lag.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Now - just to make sure that my pea-brain fully understands how this would work:

1. Connect the Meta Quest 3 to my PC using the usb-c cable that comes with the Quest 3, right?

2. Use Virtual Desktop app on the Meta Quest 3? (It's available in the Meta Store - Correct?)

3. Virtual Desktop allows me to see my PC's desktop on the Quest headset, right? If so, can I still use my PC's mouse to navigate thru the Windows Virtual Desktop and the racing sim's menu or will I need to use the Quest's hand controller?

Please correct any of my assumptions in the questions above and anything critical that I may have left out. This sounds like something worth trying, but I want to get things right.

Thanks again!

1. Yes, for oculus link ( or steamlink ?)
2. Yes the app in the meta store, remember you need a dedicated wifi 6 or 6e router
3. Yes, that the great thing about virtual desktop : It's a virtual desktop, so you only need the controllers to launch the app in the Quest 3 and from there on you can use your mouse and/or a controller.

Not having to remove and put the headset back on is one of the great features when you have to make adjustments or changes. Also 2 taps on the side of the Quest 3 enables passthrough so you can see your surrounds.

Thanks, HoiHman!

Just 2 points to clarify, if I may ask -

Regarding #1, can I use ANY usb-c cable to connect the Quest 3 to the PC? The Quest's cable is pretty short.

And does the router still need to be Wifi 6 or 6e if I don't plan to use Wifi for sim racing? (My PC connects to the internet via ethernet cable). If the answer is Yes, how do I determine my router's specs as the router is provided to me by my internet provider (ie - I rent it)

Thanks once again!.

You dont need virtual desktop. You can use steam link which is free and is probably a better choice then virtual desktop.

Any usb 3 works but better use high powered once so you can keep it charged. As for wifi 6 i had to for my wireless gaming but if you are alone in the 2,4 and 5 ghz bands you may have better luck.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%