Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Every day I look at this and find something else wrong, take more measurements and think more about how it will fit together.

I don't have my front finished, but I'm considering tearing the back apart and starting to 3D print parts in place of the aluminum I'll be milling (that arrives today). An assortment of fasteners arrive over the next few days. Then I could have it all done at once....

Currently the seat brackets are a very tight fit on the NLRv3. So I'll be able to relax that a bit and widen the bracket stance on the top a bit which may actually help me with bolt clearance, and I won't know by how much until I take my brackets off of my NLRv3 and see how far they naturally spread.

So I may actually want to wait to print things until I see how that works out since it could change what I can do. There is a LOT of trickle down with something like this, so it's hard to change just one thing without needing to adjust other places.

I would have HATED figuring this out without Fusion 360 !!!!! It would have taken my a long time to iterate to a solution with a lot of wasted parts and milling time.

FYI, I haven't played any games in a while now. I've been too busy fortifying my home, but today I finished installing my last bit of door armor and my last automatic exterior light. The new security cameras are about to go up and I'll be "DONE" with that little exercise.

1633111277569.png

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how you used to sit down and do some driving, now that is the last thing on your mind even though the very thing you're spending so much time on is actually for driving.

THIS is why I HATE messing with my system. People bait me into doing stuff that I don't really want to and it takes MONTHS to get everything back the way you want it/had it before.

My motivations are mine alone.

Yes my rig is apart, but this is fun for me. I like "messing" with my rig and I think this will be a very worthwhile upgrade.

RigApart_6911.jpg

It's been about two years since I've had my seat off.

I took the opportunity to polish the angle aluminum that I cut 2.5 years ago when I first built my P1 rig. I doubt I'll have this opportunity again for a long time.

Polish_6913.jpg

@RCHeliguy, I love this thread and it has become like a daily blog which i look for every time i visit the Racedepartment forum to read first. When there's a day gone by without a new post from you, i have to admit i'm a little disappointed :D

So there's a big thumbs-up from me here complimenting you on all the efforts you put into explaining every little detail from your rig builds. Your are more a rig builder then a racer ( like me)

I have to admit though that the tactile part, with the isolators and all the fusion 360 drawings does make it a bit more complicated to follow, but i'm convinced this is a solid upgrade to your rig.

Seeing all the latest changes, i still can not understand that one of your reasons not to develop a DIY belt tensioner yourself was the lack of time. :unsure: Anyways i'm pretty sure the G-belt of SimXperience is awesome to, so there wasn't a wrong choice to make.

When everything is finished and all effects (with Rodneys help) are installed, i hope you will make one of your videos explaining en demonstrating it all.

@RCHeliguy, I love this thread and it has become like a daily blog which i look for every time i visit the Racedepartment forum to read first. When there's a day gone by without a new post from you, i have to admit i'm a little disappointed :D

So there's a big thumbs-up from me here complimenting you on all the efforts you put into explaining every little detail from your rig builds. Your are more a rig builder then a racer ( like me)

I have to admit though that the tactile part, with the isolators and all the fusion 360 drawings does make it a bit more complicated to follow, but i'm convinced this is a solid upgrade to your rig.

Seeing all the latest changes, i still can not understand that one of your reasons not to develop a DIY belt tensioner yourself was the lack of time. :unsure: Anyways i'm pretty sure the G-belt of SimXperience is awesome to, so there wasn't a wrong choice to make.

When everything is finished and all effects (with Rodneys help) are installed, i hope you will make one of your videos explaining en demonstrating it all.
Appreciate the kind words.

Some day I hope to finish my modification montage video. I think I'm 4 hours into editing and probably 20-30hours from completion. That's just work.

With regard to the DiY seat belt tensioner. I saw a lot in the G-Belt that would have taken far too long to recreate. Far more hours than I will have in this.

What I'm doing now works in my head, so it's just a matter of flushing that out to reality.

But I have a few detours planned already.

Last edited:
These are the initial prototype test fit parts for the left side. The proof of concept is sound and they fit better than I expected. However I am making some additional changes. Once I'm happy with the left side, I'll mirror the parts and print the right side.

Having 3D printed parts to use as templates when fabricating the aluminum should help quite a bit.

NLRv3 iteration_6919.jpg

The final placement of the front and rear profile will be determined with the seat in place.

Based on @Mr Latte's suggestions, I'm considering creating more direct to the seat shell contact points near both transducers as shown below. This just an initial idea and they only approximately placed for the time being.

After I have the mounts finalized, I'll print out corner sections of the front and rear plates that I will mount to the seat brackets with the seat in place to get an actual width for the plates.

TestFit3.jpg

Last edited:
Watching with interest.

Keep in mind that most seat risers/foot sections go partly underneath the seat, so this area could allow you to have some form of adjustable contact with the underside of the seat. This then combines with the contact the bolts holding the seat offer.

Give it some thought...

I am probably misunderstanding,
but if a nominally rigid vibrating structure
is both bolted to FRP seat at some points,
but also nominally contacting FRP in others,
that would seem liable to provoke buzzing and rattling at nominal contact points.

Last edited:
Absolutely right. It would be impossible to keep all kinds of issues between rigid bodies with flexing beyween multiple contact points.

Still thinking about this.

Testing and iteration continue. The motion seems to check out.
FrontSide_6928.jpg

I'm still waiting for a properly sized M8 bevel head bolt for the back. It should be here today or tomorrow.

There is an M8x40mm bolt going down through the slot into a trapped lock unit in the solid aluminum from the top of the rear NLRv3 arm slot. There is an M8x60mm bolt going from left to right to make a compression fit between the piece of angle and solid aluminum bar. There is a bevel head bolt coming up through the angle to make a solid connection with the aluminum bar.

I may extend the bar further, move the existing bolt further and add a side bolt through it.
CloseUpBack_6929.jpg

NLRv3 tilted all the way back. Pushing back on it hard I can't get it to touch.
FrontUp_6923.jpg

NLRv3 tilted all the way left. This is the closest point. If I push very hard on the back I can just about get it to touch. I may put a piece of UHMW tape on the underside just in case. I may also trim the edge of the angle back a more millimeters.
LeftDown_6920.jpg

Tilted all the way forward, plenty of room.
FrontDown_6927.jpg

Also all the way forward.
Down_6926.jpg

Tilted all the way right.
Right_6925.jpg

All the way up.
FrontUp_6924.jpg

Last edited:
Next I'm going to test print the yellow plates.

This will be a two part test. First I will bolt the seat brackets to the plate and the plates to the isolators to check clearance and front to back hole placement. I'm not expecting any issues here.

Then I will bolt the seat bracket to the seat and refit the other parts to get an absolute width. Since both sides are floating this "shouldn't" be an issue either, but will just verify the width of the plate such that the isolator holes line up.

1633348971114.png

FWIW, that shaker mount is effectively a torsion spring which,
with the shaker mass, will have its own resonant frequency,
along with a resonance for the entire seat, driver and RaceBase isolation springs.

A lower mass and potentially more rigid shaker mount
might be a pair of aluminum angles to which the shaker bolts at one end, extending to a front isolator angle crossmember.

Last edited:
Yes, everything has to be taken within the context of it's surroundings and mount points.

Just like a room is effectively a part of your speaker system and will cause ringing, bass nulls and add other sonic character to the sound you hear.

Oh wait! It's October 4 and not April 1st !

Sorry if that sounded a bit snarky. I've got a lot going on right now and I can only handle so many trains of thought right now.

The current intent is to see how it goes and if there isn't enough room, shim it up until it has enough clearance. I'm not worrying about others for the time being. I just want to get it to work well.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 486 69.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 298 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 322 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 150 21.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 193 27.5%
Back