Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

My guess:
  • overly massive metal parts with the same dimensions as polymer may have too much inertia for specified springs
I agree, but I believe the structural parts can be made out brass and some of the smaller parts could be made out of aluminum and if I could anodize the parts they might look pretty good.

Aluminum is twice as heavy as PLA and given that many of these parts are nearly solid, I think I could possibly mill weight off of the aluminum parts.

I'll figure it out as I go :)

Agreed... have you experimented metallic-appearing filaments?
I have the following on the way here.
I have a gold PLA that I used on the Index controller holder for the Index logo, but it seemed a bit dark to me.
The Viva La Bronze is what was used in the images of the tri-color tourbillon clock and it looked pretty good. If it looks that good when I print it, I'll use it.

1641828399216.png

After looking at many of these parts that absolutely do not lend themselves well to machining, I think that SLA printing of aluminum would be the best way to handle it. Of course without changing the design, it would likely have issues because of the additional weight.

Last edited:
By a perceptual effect AKA "simultaneous contrast",
blue parts will cause others to appear more yellow.
The contrast helps too :)

One more day's printing progress and some tools, bearings, 1.5mm rods, etc..

I have to spend time now to plan out my next prints. Probably another day at 0.25mm. Then I'll start printing the BIG stuff that dwarfs these tiny parts.

todaysProgress_7567.jpg

washers.....
washers_7563.jpg

Last edited:
I should probably stop posting about this here. There is going to be at least a solid week of printing before I have everything I need to assemble it. The last set of bearings land tomorrow, some M2 bolts on Saturday and early next week the long feeler gauge material to create a mainspring out of. That's everything that I'm aware of.

todaysPrinting_7571.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww.... for some reason I was missing my last ski boat today.
When I got it I was very proud of it and told people I would be buried in it, but my priorities changed. It's been over a decade since I waterskied last. It had a fuel injected 351 with GT-40 heads (310Hp x 400ft/lbs at the prop).

I sold it to a doctor who had a home with a private tournament ski lake in the back yard. I wonder where it is today....

myNautique_3530.jpg

Engine_9251.jpg

Last edited:
There's probably a boat sim out there just waiting for someone to make a rig for it.

A ski boat is like a sports car on the water. It can pop a skier up in about 1-1.5 seconds and because many of them are flat bottomed, they can spin really well. If you timed it right you could drop a skier cut the throttle and flip the boat 180 degrees. They aren't fast. My 310Hp boat only went about 46-47 mph, but they have TORQUE and can hold a steady speed. They have one purpose in life and they do that very well.

Of course these days most "ski boats" are really wakeboard boats with massive towers etc..

True story:
I visited Lake Mead in mid-1990s and saw lots of fast boats...
Most of them seemed to spend hardly any time actually boating,
compared to launching and retrieving, much less towing to and from wherever.
A color-matched (metallic blue) truck, trailer, ski boat unloaded.
The driver cranked up a big exposed V8 with tall chrome intakes;
gunned it, standing the boat on its transom..
the engine stalled and the boat slid underwater.
Fortunately, the water was not too deep, and the boat was quickly retrieved.

I've got about 1200 engine hours behind the wheel of various tournament ski boats, two I've owned and those of my ski buddies. I was in a 3 boat rotation for many years with 2 other guys. We trailered because we skied on a number of local lakes and we could launch or trailer a boat in under a minute. All 3 of us knew the drill. When we put the boat on the trailer, one guy would get the truck and trailer and drop the trailer in the water just the right amount. The owner would drive the boat on to the trailer and the last guy would hop out and hook the nose. The MasterCrafts had a spring loaded pin and you didn't even need to get out and hook the boat. Then we would pull the boat out of the way, tighten the nose hook, pull the drain plug and we would all wipe it down before we all went our separate ways.

This is some old video of me skiing the slalom course at 34.2 mph 28 off.

TN doesn't require any classes for you to register a boat, so we frequently saw people with expensive brand new boats who didn't have a clue how to launch or trailer boats. Sometimes we would offer to help just to get things moving. Other times we sat back and enjoyed the show if the new owner was completely losing his Sh#t!

Getting a boat back on the trailer isn't always where things end. One time I saw a trailered boat going up a hill by the ramp and the owner apparently didn't have the trailer's backup chains on the hitch. He didn't have the ball secured well either and the trailer came unhitched, the nose of the trailer dropped enough for the nose wheel to touch down and the trailer promptly turned around and picked up speed rolling back into the lake nose first after bouncing off a car. The boat was floating above the fully submerged trailer anchored to the trailer by the nose hook.

Another time a young drunk couple out on a freshly but poorly repaired PWC that was obviously sinking. We offered assistance and they refused. The driver thought he could restart a swamped engine. They didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. So the two of them drifted in the middle of the channel for about half an hour. The 2nd time we offered assistance they accepted and we took them aboard and towed their partially submerged PWC to a beach on a cove not too far away where they started from. There was a houseboat there and everyone there was wasted. Apparently someone had wrecked that PWC just a couple weeks ago and they didn't even water test the boat after the repair. They were happy we rescued the PWC and invited us up to drink with them.

Another time a family had a rental houseboat and had gotten a line wrapped around their prop and they were drifting towards a bunch of rocks. Houseboats are required by law to have anchors, but the owner renting the boat had a few renters cut the anchors free and decided renters couldn't be trusted with an anchor. I got to tow them to safety and at the time I had my houseboat out, so we anchored our boat and lashed them to the side of our boat while we freed their prop. They hung out with us until the next morning and offered to pay us for helping them. We refused, but the houseboat owner drove out early the next morning looked his boat over and never even thanked us before he left.

These are just a few of many incidents I've seen, but I've also had a lot of great time out on the area lakes. It feels like a lifetime ago, but my kids loved the houseboat. We would tie up to the shore in a narrow cove just off of a cove with a slalom course in it for entire weekends. We'd anchor a large inflatable volcano out in front that that you could swim up through the middle to get inside and people would jump off the roof of the houseboat. Good times!

Woke up to a large print completing. The upper base is printing now.
Base_7575.jpg

12 hours of printing yesterday got me these.
todaysPrints_7573.jpg

Last edited:
who didn't have a clue
Fewer than Minnesota's thousand, upstate New York has many lakes.
While fishing from one's shore with a buddy, we watched newbies deploy.
One skier waddled to the pier end and sat down, waiting while
his 2 buddies struggled to launch the boat, then toss the tow rope to him.
After idling out most of the slack, the on-board watcher shouted back:
"Are you ready, Ski King?"
Upon hearing an affirmative, the boat gunned away,
but Ski King neglected to keep tips up
and proceeded to drink the lake..

Upon hearing an affirmative, the boat gunned away,
but Ski King neglected to keep tips up
and proceeded to drink the lake..

One of the most important things I told people learning to ski was if you get ahead of your skis LET GO OF THE ROPE!

It's amazing how many people want to play submarine....

However I've also seen successful dock starts for skiers and barefooters. Barefooters typically have a body suit on and would put their legs over the rope, come up on plane on their back and then transition to their butt before putting their feet down. Barefoot boats were typically outboards with 200+ Hp motors that could trim out well over 50 mph with some around 65mph or so. They still had a mid boat pylon and skegs. But outboards became crazy expensive and the days of the barefoot boat were over.

Actually the days of the closed bow 3 event boat like mine went from dominance in the 90's with jumping, trick skiing and slalom skiing to obscurity pretty quickly. Jumps became insurance liabilities on public lakes, so we took ours down. Trick skiing was something you really needed to learn when you are young and it fell out of fashion. When I sold my boat I was dead center of the age curve for the bulk of competing slalom skiers and that curve just kept moving and the market for these boats went with them. In the 90's there were 25 companies making closed bow ski boats. By the early 2000's that number was dropping fast. Now you can special order one from Ski Nautique for about $80,000, but you won't find a boat dealer keeping any on hand. I think you may be able to special order one from MasterCraft and maybe Malibu as well, but they are built like tanks, so it doesn't make much sense to buy new. The boat I sold used in 2008 would probably cost about $25,000 for that year model today. They are a simple bulletproof boat. The older ones basically have a truck engine, bulldozer transmission and cable driven rudder. There is very little to go wrong. Mine had a more advanced 1.23 gear reduction transmission, but they required very little beside oil changes and proper winterization.

Last edited:
This is going faster than expected and I may have all the printing done in just a few more days. I'm sure the assembly process will be interesting, but I should be back to rig stuff soon!

Of course I've been so busy with a couple projects lately that I've had no time for enjoy my rig.

PrintingProgress_7655.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I started printing the first prints with overhangs that required a bit of support and now I'm printing more jigs and the sized prints based on the jigs. Hopefully just a few more days of printing. I may be able to assembly this this coming weekend :)

Some of these parts require two jigs and have a matrix of print files to use.
Crazy stuff. I'm not sure that I would ever want to do this again. But I will have all the print files grouped by nozzle and color ready to go. Unfortunately the offset parts are just for my printer.

printing_7656.jpg

Thin wall detection on, 0.4 print width across the board. I'll be impressed if this single wall thickness prints properly. This is definitely some of the most precise printing that I've ever done.

1642423433107.png

Last edited:
One more day of printing.

This little bugger is a beauty with a single width of filament stacked high.
I did need to play with the slicing a bit to get it to print.
1642500735271.png

It finally printed once. I need 3 of these and have had some failures.
spring_7659.jpg

For some reason I can easily print these in pearl blue, but white has issues.
BetterInBlue_7661.jpg

TodaysPrints_7660.jpg

It's hard to go through this project without learning things!

Looking at why he chose particular print settings has been interesting, and he definitely has an artistic flare. Some of these parts are beautiful.

Last edited:
They recently bumped the price of a TST-429 by $100 to $700.
Yesterday I was referred to an eBay listing for open box unused TST-429s for $350 or $381 with shipping, so I picked one up. There are more available if anyone is interested and they discount them in multiples.

To be fair my TST-329 in front is doing well, but I've wanted matched pairs between the front and back for a little while now. The TST-429 is twice as efficient as the TST-329 and can handle a bit more power and go a bit lower. I've noticed that transducers are able to handle more effects without one effect drowning another out better at lower power levels, so that is my rationalization, but realistically, I just wanted a matched pair.

Just started 3D printing again. I've been snowed with work this week.

Last edited:
I would really be careful about buying the TST429 from Megaevent Sales on ebay. I bought one in addition to the one i already have. Both running off Behringer NX3000D with wattage limited to 150w/channel. The ebay unit i received came with no hardware and the mounting bolt was sheared in half. Not a terribly big issue. However when everything was set up, after a few minutes the ebay unit died. Although the seller advertises no refunds, the only reason i tried them out was ebay's "money back guarantee". The seller accused me of driving the unit too hard even though the unit I originally had is still running perfectly. The seller advised me to ship back the unit (at my cost) and now he's trying to petition ebay to keep my $$.
Very shady person with false advertisement. "New Open Box" should probably read "Used and Abused" Also the warranty is a false statement. Clark Synthesis will not honor the warranty if you purchase second hand. I've since purchased another TST429 new and it's been running perfectly.
Buyer beware, this guy is as shady as they come.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 296 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 239 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 22 2.6%