DiRT Rally 2.0 More DiRT Rally 2.0 Details Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Following the surprise announcement of DiRT Rally 2.0, Codemasters have been quick out of the blocks with a brand new screenshot reveal and DR 2.0 Roadbook post!

Although not able to reveal much thanks to an embargo in place until Monday October 1st, Codemasters have still confirmed that many of the 2018 World Rallycross tracks will be available within the title right from the off, with no less than eight locations coming as default content and more set to follow as DLC post launch.

Of the World Rallycross content we know of, Catalunya, Montalegre, Mettet, Silverstone, Hell, Holjes, Trois-Rivieres and Loheac will be included from launch on September 26th. Representing the first eight rounds of the 2018 WRX season, Codemasters have promised more events will be coming to the game at a later stage. Presumably the four remaining events at Riga, COTA, Estering and Cape Town will be up for grabs as DLC, however more details should be announced on the build up to public release next February.

Also confirmed in the roadbook today are some of the more traditional point to point rally locations, with New Zealand, Argentina, Poland, Spain, USA, and Australia all set to make an appearance.

DiRT Rally 2.0 2.jpg
DiRT Rally 2.0 1.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

@Martin Fiala
So you chose to ridicule me instead of answering seriously? I guess that's because you understand that my point is completely legit, but you have to weasel your way out of this.
Sorry for being "overdramatic" when it comes to my money and very little choice. You do realize that rally sims are scarce and far between? Of course you do, but you'd rather ignore the fact since it doesn't suit your agenda.

What's your definition of "being forced to buy" something? People coming to your home putting a gun to your head? Then maybe it's you who is being overdramatic here? I personally hate it when a provider of a certain service or good decides to sell me something I don't want, exploiting the fact that there is basically no alternative (apart from not buying it at all). Not being vocal about this will result in them coming up with more ways to scam you off your money. Ok, being just vocal will probably result in little change to things unless you find a way for a legal action to be taken. Still, not trying anything won't change anything at all. But of course, you understand all this. It's just that for some reason your objective here is to try and make me look like an idiot. Therefore, there is no point in discussing this with you. You'll reuse the same excuses and won't take this conversation seriously on purpose.

Again, there is ZERO logical reason for rally-cross to be a part of a rally simulator and not of an RX simulator. Apart from hoping the customer will let it slide (pun not intended) just because that tactic worked previously. Except this time around they'll try to sell you two complete different games as an inseparable bundle, whereas previously RX was more of a gimmick DLC you can't opt out from. What's next? Bundling it up with some third person shooter under yet another strained excuse? I bet that will also be ok with you, won't it?

As I Said in a other threads... This place is rally becoming a kindergarten.

Last edited:
So, first gameplay vids start to appear.
The Golf seems quite lively and all over the place, but there are few things I find very disappointing:

- There are several vids of this stage already, and the weather/lighting is the same. That is very worrying, as the weather system in D4 was actually really great, and I loved the weather visual representation much more than in some our racing sims: it was more natural, less "epic", but it actually felt like the sun is getting behind clouds, the cloud shadow was very believable.
- The image in D4 was much sharper, this now is almost Dirt 1 level of bloom and blur.
Most likely the team has very little funding, and they are very limited with the capabilities of this engine. Hence VR issues... Seems that to increase detail in something, they have to cut off other things.

So, first gameplay vids start to appear.
The Golf seems quite lively and all over the place, but there are few things I find very disappointing:

- There are several vids of this stage already, and the weather/lighting is the same. That is very worrying, as the weather system in D4 was actually really great, and I loved the weather visual representation much more than in some our racing sims: it was more natural, less "epic", but it actually felt like the sun is getting behind clouds, the cloud shadow was very believable.
- The image in D4 was much sharper, this now is almost Dirt 1 level of bloom and blur.
Most likely the team has very little funding, and they are very limited with the capabilities of this engine. Hence VR issues... Seems that to increase detail in something, they have to cut off other things.

Is that Phil Mills I hear?

Looks promising to be honest. I really wouldn't mind if it was Dirt Rally again. Shame we haven't had a demonstration of the dynamic road surface yet.

I think they´ll survive.

Until one day, they don't. It doesn't take much for a business to collapse. Especially one that has zero interest in catering towards its customer base. Ask Telltale games how at risk they were of going bankrupt when everyone was eating up their products 3 or 4 years ago.

Not so now. 200 employees now without work or payment for work completed. My point is, if you run an organisation and have even the slightest feeling that you are untouchable, no matter what you do, you're going to be in for a rude awakening real fast.

I'm not saying Codemasters doesn't care at all about their player base, or are going to go under tomorrow as a company. It's just that for us, it's the wrong demographic they are targeting. Which is fine, for them, if they continue to make money. But Dirt Rally 2.0 is the LAST chance that I give a Codemasters game. At least in the way that I look forward to an announcement / release of any new products. I've already got very low hopes for DR 2.0 as it is.

I'm not too impressed by what I see here. Car seems to behave as if It has a huge invisible wings, front and rear, holding it down on to the ground.

But for those excited for launch, enjoy!!

Ever driven a FWD on gravel or other slippy surfaces????? :whistling:
In times before ESP etc...? :ninja:
Where the rear axle ist just there so the car has 4 wheels?? :laugh:

Maybe it has only midday sunny setting, as it is pre alpha footage. At least it says so at the top of the golf footage. Idunno.

Other news: lead dev let it slip that there is multiple tyre compounds which players can choose from. Likely just soft hard and wet but at least its a start :) A long rally with worn softs in the end should be interesting...

if i am not mistaken that j. armstrong chap is the guy who won the wrc07 esports championship.
watching him play makes you realize how missing g-forces produce a totally different set of movements to gain maximum advantage in a given challenge, even though the challenge might superficially resemble real life.
watching the stage: doesn't look too different to the dirt04 australian stages to me, marshalls are taken straight over from the earlier game (might be changed till release), but also the way the track was laid out reminded me of the slightly bland stages we saw in dirt04.
on a different note: in a psot cd mentioned "my team" being included and that is exactly the part of dirt04 which makes me still play the game even though the cars do not handle too well in my opinion. so, nice it's going to be present again.

if i am not mistaken that j. armstrong chap is the guy who won the wrc07 esports championship.
watching him play makes you realize how missing g-forces produce a totally different set of movements to gain maximum advantage in a given challenge, even though the challenge might superficially resemble real life.
watching the stage: doesn't look too different to the dirt04 australian stages to me, marshalls are taken straight over from the earlier game (might be changed till release), but also the way the track was laid out reminded me of the slightly bland stages we saw in dirt04.
on a different note: in a psot cd mentioned "my team" being included and that is exactly the part of dirt04 which makes me still play the game even though the cars do not handle too well in my opinion. so, nice it's going to be present again.

He also had two outings in a Ford Fiesta R5 last year in Spain and in Germany, where he clinched a stage win in WRC2. Pretty impressive as he had very little experience in an R5. Mainly been in R2's during his career.

The New Zealand stage is modeled after a stage called Whaanga Coast in New Zealand.

They seem to be opening up to include vr in a later stage. But not at release and his comment about first 6 months of development are planned. Probably bug fixes and esports spec mode etc, and first dlc. He did say it was a lot of work implementing it so i think the game engine is from D4 as they had to rebuilt it for the stage generator.

@Eckhart von Glan ah yes, you are correct. Jon is that chap from wrc07.

Wasn't this game supposed to be the official WRC game? A WRC game without WRC cars? It makes sense.

No I don't think it was because of the officially licensed series. There are select historic WRC cars, but nothing after the 2017 regulation change for sure. It seems like the license will be locked down for a while longer at least, I wouldn't expect too much WRC licensed content in a Dirt game.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 50 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%