AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Daytona, Wed 8th February 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Can the collision penalties "notice" which car was the one starting the wreck if its not a racing incident?

Like yesterday, I got turned into on the back straight sending me into the near and far walls while the other driver only hit my car. Would I have gotten -3 while they got -1, or would they have gotten -1, and I got nothing?

Besides the occasional frustrating incident where you come off worse than the other car, I didn't feel like penalties missing was a bad thing. As others have said, usually we all leave each other enough space, and if an incident happens both will acknowledge and wait accordingly. And in the rare instance the other driver doesn't notice they took someone out, I'm not sure a couple penalty points would help (real life they'd probably get a drive through if it was bad enough).

Guess what I'm trying to say is, I feel like this will end up penalizing us more for "regular" bumps vs helping us avoid larger crashes?

But then again, I'm just a sim driver, not a sim marshall :p

I like the track limits penalities though, so long as it doesn't ding you for going off to avoid an accident.

There are not many races I do not get hit or knocked off, and I certainly do not disagree with everything you have said, I agree wholeheartedly. But I have realised that some of the blame goes my way. The last 12 months I have been aware of that and so have had, from my perspective, really much much less trouble, probably more down to it not affecting me any more.
I say sh^t and hope all be well with the rest of the race.
And usually, because I am not carrying that "baggage" around for the rest of the race, it has no impact on my race.
So why not make it official?

Configured on the server it´s no extra work for Han and it´s a strong hint to us if our "playing is a bit t rough"

if I am overtaking I have all the responsibility, it is up to me to pull out, not the defending driver.
if an overtake is not on, I don't.
Quite happy to not challenge an overtake if there is no mileage in it for me.
Do I expect everyone to be like that, hell no, these are my rules?
Do I cut corners, never, but sometimes I just get all out of shape, and rarely if ever does it give me an advantage.
I sometimes give someone some grief if they are going to overtake me, but then I never try, just make it awkward. I think I owe that to the next driver up the road, especially if it is Fulvio.

The racing Gods, the Stewards and I agree whole heartedly.
That´s the way to make the newcomers feel welcome.

Everybody cocks it up eventually, then it´s time to own up and apologize so we can stay friends. That´s the part I really miss, sit in the paddock, share a sausage and a beer and talk eye to eye.

About the grief part, I also concure :D
One can see the times of the attacking driver on the leaderboard, if he´s several tenth faster he´ll make the overtake sometime, but fighting will cost us both a lot of time and the posse behind will come closer.
My favorite Dutchman on the other hand ( should he have cocked up and be behind me) would have to work with stiff (but i hope fair) resistance because he likes to annoy people and can swallow his own medicine sometimes.:p
Against a known bully I´d fight tooth and nails and if it kills us both, so be it. And mostly we both died. Learning curve still incoming :(

MFG Carsten

Playing mop up the day after the race in chat?
Tom, it is what it is. Most incidents are not intentional and it is always good for the sole to bare that in mind. We are all at sometime going to have our race ruined. I only thought the other day when i got taken out hard that i was overdue a crash. When you think about it, unless we get a major electric shock every time we get it wrong poo is going to happen.
Personally, i was a little disapointed when you left the race yesterday. Just take it on the chin and carry on mate

After watching the replay i have to public apoligize to Robert @Alfred Wayne.It was me who put you in the wall going 3 abreast..I assumed you had moved out of the way and hit the wall,crewchief said i was clear,i never felt anything and if i had known i would have slowed down and waited for you..The AC close race lagging thingy is also a big problem..Once again Robert sorry i owe you 1..

No worries, it's happens. We'll put the blame on Jim :p
5 of us going into the oval was always going to be tight :thumbsup:

Maybe it was a consequence of so much drafting and close racing, which we normally don't have as much, but I also saw more "lagging" then other races. Almost found myself in Thomas's trunk once while trying to get a good run into the straight :confused:

Tom, it is what it is. Most incidents are not intentional and it is always good for the sole to bare that in mind. We are all at sometime going to have our race ruined. I only thought the other day when i got taken out hard that i was overdue a crash. When you think about it, unless we get a major electric shock every time we get it wrong poo is going to happen.
Personally, i was a little disapointed when you left the race yesterday. Just take it on the chin and carry on mate
I was replying to Ernie. Did you not read about scraping the first s#*t incident off the sole of my shoe in turn 1 and was disappointed yet kept driving on. My soul is unbruised and strong Steve thanks for your concern.

A good example, is the start, second corner following two Mazdas too the 180 deg bend.
Did not want to lift, did not want the slipstream, and went off track just to kill a small bit of speed, without affecting those behind, so that I would not be braking into the back of Andrea. that would be a track penalty.
In some races, not only me but others have to, hit people on purpose to get their car straight after an accident, even if they are not involved.
That would be another penalty.

Trying to make it the longest thread in racedepartment history.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

20230208_171058.jpg

@Programmer_Rich

Newcomer opinion....Isn't this the exact kind of debate that is discouraged in group chat because nothing gets solved?

In my opinion, discussing incidents here in the race's forum thread has a few advantages that I deem positive. Posting happens after the race so it allows people to take a breather and ponder things in between; being a text-based message it is a bit more rational than emotional and, finally you can review what you want to say a few times before posting it.

I don't feel like discussing things on Discord it's discouraged but, doing that during the race can get in the way of the race itself, especially to others.

My 2 spoons of sugar... :coffee::coffee:

I almost rage quit in the first corner after Richard Barratt illegally passed below me on the apron so he could brake check and crowd me so he got his line. Then was spun by Theo Wasse going full send from behind around the outside hitting me while I was avoiding Richard. Yet I threw that bag of shiz out the window and proceeded to spend 15 min catching up. The only person who sent a PM apology concerning anything in the first corner was Dave Jevons who was unfortunately behind me during all this and thought he caused it. To be honest that collision at the end due to blue flags was accidental but Paul Fairweather kept his foot in it though the bus stop and around the bank. Yes thanks for the apology after Paul, just calling it how it was. I'm trying my best being a "newcomer" to keep it clean and respectful.
I was sad to read this Tom, PM sent to hopefully clear the air

Newcomer opinion....Isn't this the exact kind of debate that is discouraged in group chat because nothing gets solved?

Normally if you have a complaint about a driver over an incident it's sorted out in the background by exchanging PMs with the other driver, not "naming and shaming" in the forums. If either party is not happy with the outcome then you can ask Han to review specific incidents and give his opinion (he may also PM the other driver, hand out a penalty or even permanently ban someone).

The forums are good for more general discussions on track limits, driving standards, T1 issues, etc. (Also pre and post race banter).

My 2p. :)

Ok. Before I give my comments on the above just a reminder of club rule nr8:

Try and discuss any incidents with the other drivers involved after the race in a friendly manner. If you feel stressed out by an accident then take 24 hours to calm down, review the replays of the incident and resolve it in a mature way via PM. Do not make angry posts about it on the forum. If you cannot resolve the problem then please contact the staff member whom organised your race via PM, sending them an incident report that follows the procedure outlined here.

I would like to add to this rule to avoid using names in the public thread. Discussions and opinions about incidents in the race are allowed, but of course without making it personal and offensive language.

Keep in mind that the point of view of others has the same value as yours. As a rule, if you consider it serious enough, file a report to seek the opinion of RD employees staff members (we don't get payed).

If not, start or enter the discussion with the acceptable outcome for you being an agreement to disagree.

As mentioned above I agree that these discussions can be both valuable and interesting to others, so I applaud them.

And as a final addition to Ernie's great take on the matter, focus on having fun and realize that a race of catching up and overtaking is more fun than leading the race from start to finish. And as someone who doesn't have Ernie's smarts and therefore is often the victim of a first lap incident and gets thrown way back in the process, I almost always end up in a spot in an hour-long race that would have been the same without the incident but with a race that was much more exciting and rewarding. I always leave my rig with a smile at those events.

EDIT: before posting this I didn't read the previous post from Douglas. He's obviously better in English as I needed three times as much words for the same message:(.

Last edited:
hey guys that was super-fun. real roller coaster ride.... we shared some laughs and some tears. tears were mostly from me as i made my usual unforced errors that sent me on a field trip across the grass on a couple of occasions.
jose, we might have been at the back of the pack, but i still enjoyed our back and forth and you did a helluva job holding me off for most of the race. you raced a nice steady race.

thanks for the good times all, see you on the next one!
Hi Domenic, I really enjoy that fights.
That was a lively race, and man I WAS BAD.:cry:

( it´s not so bad when you´re slow, but to not even show on the leaderbord :sick:)

Had an OK start, could collect some freebies than a nice scrap with Steve.

Several times he had the run on me and than pulled back which I apreciate.
He must have lost patience because in the Busstop he pushed the nose in.
I left him space on turn in, but then got pushed completely onto the grass, of course we collided.
Regretfully I than rearended him into T!, we must have had completely different brake points in mind.:( Again, my apologies!!
A few laps later I must have scared the living Bejeesus out of Jose when I suddenly appeared alongside in the Busstop, again completely different rythm between the two of us.
This time we could resolve the issue without crash.

A nice scrap with Dave followed, several times I didn´t quite get the run on him,
Sorry for the lovetap in T1, but to be fair, that was a veritable divebomb from you ;)
In the end I had to finish over the apron as Dave tried to slam the door in the last second.

Could get around Paul on the outside of Horseshoe west, quite proud of that one :cool:

Than Thomas pulled me to new personal best before he pulled away . Thanks man :inlove:

Dominic and Jose fell over each to get out of the way, thanks guys, but Jose, you stunned me there with lifting in the horseshoe :geek:

In the last laps some more freebies,

Thanks everybody, especially Han for organizing:inlove:

MFG Carsten

( BTW, the penalty system definitely did not work, I think i´m about two drivethroughs short :thumbsdown:. In qualy I had two invalid laps because of four off in Busstop which i cleared by lifting in the oval. of course i can trust the other gentlemen did the same?? :O_o:)
Sorry for that Carsten, I tryed to move out but hit the wall and going back dowm. It is quite stressed with so many cars arround. I am sure you understand was not my intention

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 475 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 288 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 313 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 140 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 182 26.8%
Back