AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@Sebring, Wednesday 8th December 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
My PC couldn't cope with so many cars on this track. I'm curious what processors you are all running so I know what to look for in a replacement PC.
I7 8700, 16GB, RTX2080, Single screen 144kHz

Last edited:
Is there a replay anywhere guys that I can watch back?

Cheers,

Tony

I'd be glad to see a replay as well, it seems that you had a very fun race! Also I'd like to understand how you guys managed to run well below the 2.30 mark (I don't know if that's actually my best time or I lost something because of a crash yesterday evening but my best recorded on CM is 2.33..).
In the end, after putting the kid (and wife) to bed, I had the time to check the reason for the pedals acting up and I found out that the cable connecting them to the wheel base was not properly plugged into the RJ socket. The odd thing is that when I had them malfunctioning in the afternoon, exiting and re-entering the game resulted in having them working ok for a few minutes, so I hadn't figured it could've been a connection issue. I managed to run without issues for an almost full ACC session (about half an hour) without problems, after that so I believe I solved the problem.

I have i5-6400 2.70GHz, GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb, 16 Gb RAM.
Look at my percentage comparison for acc. The 6400 behaves similar to that 9400f, which is 17% slower than the 9600k.
You can't overclock the 6400, you can't run high mhz ram sticks, you can't force all cores to the same boost clock and it only has 4 cores..

In overall gaming performance, you don't need the k CPUs when on a tight budget but for simracing, you really want the maximum clock speeds.
So better get 6 cores with full overclocking potential vs 10 cores that are locked.
However, some generational leaps are massive, so for example a 12400f might be a lot better than a 10600k!

But comparing 8th/9th/10th gen, a 8700k that can achieve 5 GHz stable is better than a 10600k that only runs at 4.8 GHz.

Complicated.. Depending if you want to buy used or new.
It's all housed in a small Dell case so no chance of slipping in a new motherboard
I was about to ask about your ram mhz to check if you could re-use it.
It makes more sense to keep your dell as a full complete package then.
Or sell it as one.

If you really want to go for the upgrade just drop me a pm or create a new thread.
I'll happily put an example build together at a shop in your country or nearby. Or whatever ships to you without issues.

Good cases can be purchased for 30-40€. Psu for 80€. Sure, it adds up but if you don't have 2 left hands, putting it all together yourself will cost a lot less :)
If the CPU was improved would the GPU be good enough for a while or does that also need upgrading?

I'm running 3 x 1920x1080 monitors at 60Hz.
I'd say yes. AC doesn't need much graphics card power. Although 3x 1080p are a lot of pixels...
GPU related frame drops are a lot smoother though. The load doesn't spike as with cpu drops.
A lot easier to set up and every little setting has an impact.
With cpu, it's very difficult since you need to reduce he "drawcalls", not the eye candy.
So only things like world details, mod track optimisation, reflection update rate have an impact.

With gpu, you simply drop the anti aliasing a click and see if that's enough :)

60 fps/Hz isn't that hard to achieve though so I'd say a better cpu would already smooth out your overall experience a LOT!
even with a 6600k at 5Ghz and a Gtx 980ti
The 6600k at 5 GHz is a lot faster than the 6400 though and the 980ti is as good as the 1070.
Both about 30% better than Colin's current part.
Still astonished by the 5 ghz you achieved haha.
The processor frequency is king in AC
Yep!
That and generational leaps, that Intel didn't have until the 12th gen now hehe.
The only thing that really changed is that 6 cores do perform quite a lot better even with assetto corsa only really using 3 cores.
Having a bit of headroom does help..
5 cores would be enough though, but aren't built :p

Thanks Chris!

@Bram Hengeveld Would there be a way, through S.GP to automate this kind of thing (i.e. have the replay of a race be available, even if it was for a just few days) or would the requested storage space be too much?
AC (and I think also ACC) servers don't have any capability to produce a replay, unfortunately. As such, it would require a full client running, which seems like a lot of burden.

@maxilogan
I must be overlooking the obvious. nothing new there, but the replay resides in your AC replay folder.
You can dumb it down so that it takes up virtually no memory.
I believe that the only difference is replay FPS.
one thing to note is that taking meaningful measurements outside of the visual is most misleading. :)
If you do not know how to, it can easily be explained.

Last edited:
@maxilogan
I must be overlooking the obvious. nothing new there, but the replay resides in your AC replay folder.
one thing to note is that taking meaningful measurements outside of the visual is most misleading. :)
My replay was only a minute or so long, must be a settings thing I guess

@maxilogan
Thank you Ernie. By the way, one of the malfunction of my pedals was right after the session in which we ran together for a couple laps.

The obvious your overlooking here, is that I wasn't participating in the race yesterday evening because of a technical problem that I had no time to fix in time for the race :D

The fact that everyone seemed to have had a very enjoyable race led me to support Tony's request, even if it was only to get some insight for the next time we will be reaching in Sebring :)

We had a short discussion online yesterday about wheels. I'd like to get a thrustmaster set with shifter, but that's going to cost me about $950 CAD before tax, and before any sale pricing. In this case, I'll probably never get one. I'd be ok with fixing my G25 for now, but the website that sells the pots for the peddals is out of stock, and doesn't reply to email. I don't know what it would take to fix the H-shifter. If I could do it, that would be ok to last me for now. Maybe I should start a go-fund-me lol... :D

@Goblin616

You could keep an eye on the race department sim racing marketplace forum.
you might pick up a bargain second hand Fanatec CSW for example.
in my view it does not get much better than those motor wheels, second-hand steering wheels for these are very reasonable too, considering their quality.
Postage to Canada is not exactly cheap but do able, not sure about the import duty.
I think the USA has an 800$ threshold.:)

@Goblin616

You could keep an eye on the race department sim racing marketplace forum.
you might pick up a bargain second hand Fanatec CSW for example.
in my view it does not get much better than those motor wheels, second-hand steering wheels for these are very reasonable too, considering their quality.
Postage to Canada is not exactly cheap but do able, not sure about the import duty.
I think the USA has an 800$ threshold.:)
My budget would be about $400 CAD, and I'm not sure I'll find such a deal, though it's still better than buying new. Thanks for the info.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.4%