My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in this thread. I already derailed this one too much, but I'm also not trying to compete with this project as I'm primarily trying another approach (based on a windows driver and telemetry)!
I will open up another thread and put up a website about it before x-mas, but don't get your hopes up just yet as my main focus is to support iR, support for other sims will follow earliest some time next spring, probably sooner if the project finds interest and other programmers are willing to participate.
Out of respect to Mizoo and the other guys the USB HID FFB implementation has the lowest priority possible. The systems will be fully compatible as I will be using the same hardware except omitting the blueboard. If my approach turns out to be succesful and Mizoo releases the firmware before I get to it you can easily upgrade and switch to whatever system you prefer without problems. Mizoo and the other guys did a very good job on finding the motor. I honestly don't know if he is okay with me doing my project using some of his/their published knowledge I gained here and in the .fr forums, but I gave him a heads up and even asked him if he has a problem with that, but after finding out that I'm not from France it seems he doesn't want to talk to me. I really hope to get in touch with him as I don't want to step on his back, but the HW is an obvious choice here as the VSD-E seems like a perfect fit for a community project like this and the motor seems almost to good to be true for that price..

Upvote 0
hi all, looking with interest this project and searching for parts for it meanwhile waiting for it being completed, ive seen that the servo drive, the granite device vsd-e is going out of stock and is being discontinued by a new series argon servo drive http://granitedevices.com/digital-servo-drive-argon which is going to have full support, problem is that this new series is twice the price so the cost objetive is lost again :( do you know any other solution, i think wee need to look for another solution.

Upvote 0
Since they are still in stock at the moment..., do you recommend to buy one now? Will there be a big difference in firmware/software required to use either one?

Upvote 0
Well.. beeing pissed from work today I wrote a little rant mail to GD.. can't be that they take the VSD-E off the market and don't release anything that falls into that range of features (don't even care about the price) leaving many projects that are based on that drive for dead.

I think that they made too little profit from the VSD-E while selling them too cheap.. I honestly wouldn't even care if they raised the price for 50% as long as there is a solution out there.. grml

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%