Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Im having trouble with the game now, it was working since the first install but now since i chagned the settings to lower graphics to remedy the stuttering and low fps the game loads fine but when I try to race I get booted to desktop. I've tried all graphics settings nothing seems to work, I'm a bit stumped.

I had this issue... spent 2 hrs trying to fix it... delete the graphic settings file located in the NFS Shift folder under the your my documents folder, its an XML all by itself. Next time you run the game GFX settings will be back to default.

-Paul

I have something to add here. It seems that the D-pad (with POV marked upon it in profiler for G25) is the problem for automatic scrolling through menus. Now, I don't know how in the hell to turn the D-pad off completely, since I don't use it at all, but when I pressed it directly SOUTH bound and then tried using the keyboard to navigate, there was no problem. So I put a little hairpin (Yes, a damn hairpin) borrowed from my sister, at the top of the D-pad's crease when pushed southbound, and no problem any more.

It's a primitive solution, but nevertheless a solution. Lets just hope someone else finds a way to deactivate the D-pad entirely (or stop it from activating all the time)

I've been having fun with it so far. At first the oversteer under braking was just ridiculous, so I eventually just turned ABS on and stopped worrying about it. The handling is ok, definitely better than the likes of GRID. My main complaint is that you don't get the sense of how close you are to losing grip (through the force feedback and sound) that Forza and Race Pro provide.

The AI is smart but way too agressive. If these were online opponents you might consider them spoilers. When they ram me I don't get the impression that they are trying to stick to their lines and ignoring me - rather it seems like they are doing it on purpose. I can imagine the AI drivers defending themselves after a dirty race: "I'm just an aggressive driver bro, that's my style!" They aren't very fast either - as long as I don't crash and have a passing familiarity with track I can win on hard, and I'm not a master driver like some people on these forums (maybe their cars are too slow, the game doesn't give you any matchup info). But I would take this over the race pro AI any day.

Another complaint is that in the first 3 tiers of career mode (out of 5 I think) I have yet to see a race over 3 laps long. This makes it hard to drive cleanly and patiently and still win, even with the best car. I saw something in the achievements about endurance races though so I'm looking forward to those.

The drifting is awful - I tried one event and it was just stupid (spinning around on ice). With a gamepad you could probably get the hang of it, but why bother. Luckily it seems like you can ignore the events and still progress smoothly through the game.

But like I said, it's a lot of fun - the graphics and sound are great, and the racing is exciting and at least somewhat realistic.

For some reason I put back the setting to what they were originally, which is kinda unplayable and the game works, go figure. Tnx for the help will try to adjust gfx to lower setting and if i get ctd then ill try use ur method, many thanks.

Just did the 1st tier in a megane and I must say the "physics" felt better then any NFS title before. I turned all the assists off as well as the race line and had good fun during the 1st few races, the AI is liked mentioned before a bit rough and liked to try and bump you off but the actual racing is quite good. The feedback of my G25 feels good for when it comes to car weight distribution and for surface, like curbs or when you get in the gravel. I missed the actual feedback from the tires, that could have been beter. For me the pointsystem for agressive or precise driving is something that could have been left out, would have made it even less arcady but overall 1st impression is possitive. I had my doubts but playing this "demo" has made a believer out of me and the 1st thing I did after quitting it was order myself a copy :nod:
Can't wait to try it out some more tomorow, after some well deserved and needed sleep :D

With an E8600&4GHZ, XP SP3, XFX BE 260, 4 GB Ram (3GB used)

Resolution 1920x1200, AA=8 (in Game); AF=16 (over NvidiaControlPanel)
All Graphik-Options High, only shadow Med; Blur off !

=> ~ 70 FPS
=> GPU Temps ~ 70°C

runs smooth, no stuttering or else

Switching through the different Driving-Views = CTD

also, one big freeze - needed reboot

Game looks similar GT5 Prologue, Tracks are very nice detailded; Nordschleife is beautiful; there is very good depth of sharpness

Game makes really fun, exactly was SMS said - a Funracer not a Simulation. But, u always have head vibrations that get u crazy - i think after 30 min u need a break !

I had my doubts but playing this "demo" has made a believer out of me and the 1st thing I did after quitting it was order myself a copy :nod:
Can't wait to try it out some more tomorow, after some well deserved and needed sleep :D

Hehe, so you are going to 'reload' your demo today :)
I hope to find the games in de local shops today. If not, the demo will do for da moment :)

Need For Speed Shift out on Friday!

NFS Shift is out in the UK this Friday and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the physics model of the cars?

I used to like NFS series but was unhappy with the arcady driving model, this time the game was developed by Slightly Mad with ex-Sim Bin programmers(GTR and GTL) on the team and they describe it thus

"Need For Speed: Shift is an all-new simulation racing game that combines the true driver's experience with real-world physics...."

Anybody else looking forward to this title?
Will there be a multi-player mode anyone know?

I will investigate and post more details as i find them out.

Edit: oops just seen a whole area on the forum dedicated to NFS shift :-P

Could a friend moderator please assist in deleting this post :)

• leahcim

And imo thos epeople without good internet connection, I'd say 'hello, it's 2009'.

Well, perhaps a better plan would be to write to them? :D

Ditto, same card here.

Hope AMD sort out a fix quickly if there are issues:(.

English version here: - http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...engine-info-and-Full-HD-screenshots/Practice/

They suggest that there are some performance issues with NFS: Shift and radeons that AMD are currently working on.

So I'd expect new drivers.

But, a couple of days ago 9.9 was released, perhaps these /are/ the new drivers? There's nothing in the release notes that I could see at a quick glance about specific games...

Other than that niggle, it sounds like anything around 8800gt plus or HD4850 upwards should do 1680x1050 4xAA with max settings.

Made a 2nd vid, now with Tier3 Porsche GT2. The driving becomes better and better. The driving experience (FFB, car behavior) on real race tracks like Spa or Nords is IMHO on the same or better level than GTR-EVO.

First, 2 laps at Spa then another lap on Nords. Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/6606607[/ame]

Nice video, but can you put that fog of in the cockpit when you drive over 200 km/h. I have never had that in my cars when I drove that fast.

Tobias can give me your Wheel Settings? :)

Sure. :party2: My Setup is a G25 with 900° rotation range. The brake is a bit too progressive for a linear pedal, haven't got the time to tweak this to my likings yet .

Attachments

• shift 2009-09-16 15-21-10-88.jpg
    shift 2009-09-16 15-21-10-88.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Tim Ireland

How does it compare with the likes of Forza2 or RacePro with regard to physics and the actual racing?

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Watch party

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 2.0%