Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

O.K after playing now for a while, hear are my thoughts, I am not an arcade racer, I race rfactor in a F1 league, GTR etc. After Setting the controller to reduce oversteer the game come alive...

The tracks and Graphic are stunning.. I have SLI on my PC it still doesn't look as good as this game.. I was playing a quick race at Silverstone last night, what make it different is the lighting, they got it right..doesn't look cartoonish.. You can pick what time for the day you want the quick race and lighting, track, crowd, grandstands, all looks like I am there.. I wish this was a F1 2009 game.. They have a awesome balance in handling.. I dont feel too much of the tire but you know when you will loose it by sound of the tire and the handling, hard to explain, but very fun to play....with the regular controller you have to concentrate on every turn.. The more I play the more I love it... Just don't have time due to work.. Cant wait for weekend...

As compare to Forza and Race Pro.. Graphic, sound, sense of speed its all there in Shift better than Forza2 and Race pro, just my thought, I have all three... but I guess you can feel more of tire in Race PRO, and Forza2...

I would say all 3 bring something to the table.. I spend 56.00$ on shift.. I am having tons of fun just offline with just a Civic SI.. so I know faster cars will be handful to drive and more fun.. Very Nicely done.. I have never bought NFS game before... This one is good.....If no one else does, I will post a video of my silverstone race tonight after work.. I camera is not too great, but I will try

Awesome videos! I like that blur effect as well actually, you get a really good sense of speed with it! Watching these videos, wow, it just feels extremely realistic! The head movements, the sounds, the shadows&lights, man I already felt like I'm in that car even if I wasn't driving it... Can't wait to try it out, only I fear it won't be any time soon:(

Anyone knows if the game uses DirectX 10 when installed on Vista or Win7? Or does it always uses the D93D render path?

Just interested if the graphics looks maybe nicer or is rendered faster on a D10 system.

Anyone knows if the game uses DirectX 10 when installed on Vista or Win7? Or does it always uses the D93D render path?

Just interested if the graphics looks maybe nicer or is rendered faster on a D10 system.

It only uses the D3D9 rendering but I am sure that some programming wizkids out there can make it go DX10, like they did with Racedriver GRID :) Either way, I like it as it is right now, and I really don't need any more eye candy than what is already in there.

How do you rate Need for Speed: SHIFT?

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the interweb about NFS Shift. If you are already the owner of the game how would you rate it after the your first experiences with it?

Rating time :)

Need for Speed Shift Interview

My podcast, Dead Pixel Live, interviewed Jesse Abney from EA Blackbox, the producer of Need for Speed: Shift. The hour long talk had Jesse giving details on everything from the philosophy behind the NFS series, to what may be upcoming in DLC content. Some of the highlights include him stating that NFS Shift isn't really in competition with Forza 3 and GT5, instead its targeted at the audience of PGR4 and GRID. He tells us how the Battlefield series and dev studio Dice influenced some of the design. His thoughts on drifting vs drift racing and how the game handles physics for both. His favorite racing game of all time. He also went into why it gets harder to fool the gamer as sims get more and more realistic.
The interview starts about thirty minutes into the episode.
http://radio.allgames.com/radio/deadpixel/episode/316/

• aussenbagen

ATI/Nvidia cards performance issues

I have been reading on a couple of forums that Shift has trouble with ATI cards. That there are freezes, slow downs, poor performance, etc... I contacted EA and got no response. I have a Q6600/4890 22" @180X1050, should I get this game or not in your opinion?

:welcome:
If there are issues with specific cards, I am sure SMS will correct that as soon as possible.
I would never let my potential purchase of game be influenced by opinions on forums t.b.h. Always best to judge a game yourself :thumb:
Hope somebody can help you out with this specific question

PGR and GRID were cool and fun games that would of been GREAT if they made it a SIM.I don't see why they "arcade" these games when all they have to do is slow down the AI.

• aussenbagen

I guess I didn't pose my question clearly. I definately want the game. I just am worried that it has some launch issues that need to be addressed. I want to know if those problems justify a delay while we wait for a patch. Is this an anectdotal thing or not. I have seen some threads on gamespot.com (a forum I don't trust) saying they are consistently having problems with FPS dropping to the teens and below with ATI cards even rigs with 295's, 4890's, 4870X2's, and even 4870's. That is why I am asking here. I think that is a fair question, that isn't asking somebody to think for me. I am asking about the technicals problems associated wth the launch. Are there people with ATI cards having no problems. I don't think I have seen a single one.

Voted an 8...
For a NFS game this thing rocks; graphics are awesome, sound is great. Handling of the cars is the best i've seen sofar from an NFS game ( i've played 'm all) but it's no hardcore sim.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Watch party

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 1.7%