Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

after a couple of hours;

BUGS
- Name entry too short, unable to fit whole name (only 16 characters allowed)
- Force-feedback occurs on G25 when watching replays (at least when driving over curbs, possibly grass as well, road is fine)
- Did a drift event at ebisu touge through quick race. Afterwards, it just kept showing me a replay of my horrible drive over and over (was using keyboard at the time), no way to quit it, I had to ctrl-alt-delete to kill the process.

WHAT WOULD BE NICE
- Name entry should allow some additional characters (currently only alpha-numeric are accepted, nothing else)
- A replay timeline (current rewind and forward only operate in ~5-10 second steps)
- Ability to disable music during replays
- Showroom camera controls with a full-screen mode
- A better view of visual upgrades (i.e. applying bodykits, u have to look through a tiny gap in the UI to see the bodykit applied on the car model in the background)

played for a few hours now, at first i sort of regretted the purchase but once u give it some time, it sort of grows on you.

it's hands down the best NFS ever made, at least as far as wheel users are concerned IMO

the physics are not as horrible as some make out, yes, i'll agree it drifts a little too easily, but once u step into the more race-ready cars and start playing with car setups, the feel of the cars are a bit more believable. the first lotus invitational event was the clincher for me, that thing feels awesome.

sounds 9/10, graphics 9/10, physics 8/10, gameplay 8.5/10
overall, i'd give it an 8.5/10, it's a great game, i'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't NEED ultimate realism to see the fun and value in games like this.

P.S: going from iRacing to Evo was a little weirder than going from iRacing to NFSS, i'm not saying NFSS is better than GTR-Evo, just pointing it out, maybe my settings in Evo need tweaking ?

- Force-feedback occurs on G25 when watching replays (at least when driving over curbs, possibly grass as well, road is fine)

Confirmed. Happens with my Momo. it seems that it's only the curb FFB though, other FFB effects don't activate here.

- Ability to disable music during replays
You should be able to in the audio options by turning the volume down. Or doesn't that work?

Copying my impressions that I posted on a couple of sites so far...

I've spent some time on it, pretty addictive. Some quick impressions:

Playing with the graphics maxed out and it looks excellent. Even has the heat haze effect from the exhaust when the cars are idle.

On Pro mode, all assists off. Physics feel great, but when it comes to losing grip it's on the forgiving side. Closer to GTR Evolution that GTR2, for those who've played both.
Some cars drift almost naturally, others are difficult to save once you're sliding.
The old Toyota Corrola (don't remember exact name, but it's an old model) can oversteer badly if you brake to hard. Need to be gentle with the brakes to keep it facing the right way. The Nissan 350Z on the other hand can handle hard braking and easily drifts around corners.

I tried a Maserati on Nordshleife. Very difficult, I lost the bumper and spoiler near the end of the 2 lap race. Has plenty of grip as expected but once you lose control you're gonna crash...

Career races are a bit of a disappointment IMO. The races I've done so far are only 2 laps which I think is a bit of a joke.
Although you can do a quick race which allows up to 20 laps.

The manual also mentions 1 hour endurance races. I can't seem to access these from the quick race menu, think I need to make more progress.
You don't need constant podium finishes to make progress. As long as you finish the race, you earn points depending on how well you did. Although for career races you need some podium finishes but I'm not certain, maybe driving well like keeping on the race line and earning enough points will be enough.

AI is good. They screw up, they can accelerate too hard and kick up smoke at times, or miss a breaking point and go off the track.

My new baby: 780 bhp Audi RS4

Attachments

• NFS_Shift 780bhp RS4.jpg
    NFS_Shift 780bhp RS4.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 319
  • relakks

Would the game run on my MB Pro via Boot Camp with XP SP3?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz
4GB 1067MHz DDR3 memory
Nvidia GeForce 9400M 256MB
+ Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

thanks in advance :)

I don't understand why less resolution equals less performance (especially seeing 1600 x 1000 runs not so smooth compare to a higher resolution....
it usually does not make sense lol

I believe it's recommended resolution. If you are in the red/yellow, it suggests lower resolutions.

This maybe due to the way the graphics are optimised(they maybe optimised at certain resolutions resulting in running smoother at those resolutions) and/or the native resolution of your computer screen.

I have found this in many games, they run smoother when i set my Nvidia graphics to max in the Nividia control panel, 16AA, 16AS and High Quality graphic setting often run smoother then when these settings are turned down low.

hi

hi guys just brought need for speed shift and here is my opinion. like any released a lot of nice videos a lot of suspense and at the end its just another need for speed. the game had a lot of nice videos lot of special effects
but in my opinion e just one more need for speed the car handling is the same was need for speed undercover and all the others still a very arcade game its nice to relax play for 1 hour and that's it. i was trying the game yesterday
made some races and ufff the car always moves for one side to another with my wheel its a momo i try a lot of configuration didn't like any its seems im riding a boat so if u are a fan of arcade racing games or need for speed saga its ok
so like i was expecting to much marketing to much nice videos but in the end
big deception i now electronic arts its not the kind of making sims but i was expecting they change a bit the jog-ability of the game but no so heres is my ranking to this game from 0 to 10 i give a 6 just because of special effects and videos and graphics the rest is very poor :bad::bad::bad:
but this ist just my opinion

cheers mates

• relakks

@relakks
With the Geforce 9600 it should. Bu the 'M' in its name makes me unsure, mobile graphics cards are weaker.

yeah, that was what i was thinking too. ****ty mobile graphics cards..

I'll try, and come back with an answer, so others knows how it'll run before they're going out to buy the game. :)

You can disable the music in the replay fellas. Go to the Audio/Music folder and make a backup folder (just in case) and put all the music files in there.

Now do a race and watch the replay - no more music. This is the only way i found to do this.

I also noticed the bug that the wheel moves on replay.

Also, on back straight at Nordschliefe the engine sound in the mc12 is wrong - on replay.

Post the bugs you found (and possible fixes).
Here's what i've found after 6 hours of playing.
4 - I received an invite for a car battle between the Ford GT40 and the
Dodge Viper; I chose the Viper to race with but when the light went
green the Viper doesn't move when applying throttle (yes i had it in gear)

I can confirm this one. I had messed with my control settings just before I took this race, so I thought it was me :mad-tongue:
The Ford GT40 does work though..

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • At a friends house