Need your help , GPU upgrade ?

Plus i may need some upgrade on the power unit.
Not needed at all as long as you don't buy a 13900k + 4090!
Your cpu takes max. 130W, 4070ti max. 300W when overclocked. So 430W. You then have 220W spare for SSD's etc. Plenty enough!
If i can raise the bar at constant 110- 120 fps in all circumstances, it would be already a nice and pleasant improvment (not 144 fps, but is it really important ?)
You simply need to reduce the resolution until your graphics card drops to 70% load and check your fps :)
After reading your comments and searching a little more information, i came to the conclusion that a RTX 4060 ti could cover my expectations.
Last time I checked, the 4060 ti was called a joke almost everywhere.
Here's the average gaming performance in comparison by ComputerBase:

Screenshot_20230825_115647_Chrome.jpg
I don't what the prices are for you, but I would calculate price vs performance and then decide!
Going off topic a little here but why is it that every time someone says "don't buy an AMD card" it is always someone that doesn't own an AMD card.

I picked up a cheap 6700xt last week to pair with a 1080 165hz screen. Ok, it's with a 58x3d, but for £299 the thing is a little peach. haven't used it much yet but 150+fps without the need for dlss or any silly tricks.

There are currently three gpu manufacturers and none of them should be discounted as every use case is different.
If someone is budget constraint and doesn't want to use VR and isn't playing many titles that support DLSS, then the AMD cards are definitely my recommendation! The last PC I built for a friend on a budget got a 5600X + Radeon 6650 XT :)

Based on tom´s hardware gpu 2023 benchmark, the best value is rtx 4060 ti.
I can find a 3060ti cheeper, but draws more current.
Then the 4060ti may be a nice compromise.
I am not sure i should go higher in spec due to the other components.
A balance performance gain / price should remain.

I took the time to build my pc 5 years ago, and until now i have never been disapointed with any choice i made.
It applies to a new gpu. I am ready to change , but not at any cost or if the all pc is not balance anymore.

The 4060ti (3060ti) is already at least twice as powerful as my 1070ti. I suppose it should be enough. I will not go higher as 500€ budget
In any doubt, i will stick with what i have

Anyway, many thanks.
Difficult to decide

Last edited:
Going off topic a little here but why is it that every time someone says "don't buy an AMD card" it is always someone that doesn't own an AMD card.

I picked up a cheap 6700xt last week to pair with a 1080 165hz screen. Ok, it's with a 58x3d, but for £299 the thing is a little peach. haven't used it much yet but 150+fps without the need for dlss or any silly tricks.

There are currently three gpu manufacturers and none of them should be discounted as every use case is different.
Your link for tom´s hardware benchmark is very useful and compréhensive. It helped me a lot.
Indeed, the rx6700xt is on the same range as the 3060ti and 4060ti.
After, it is a matter of price, in which pc it will go, and of course à matter of personal préférences.

Thanks a lot for your "balanced" comments

I can find a 3060ti cheeper, but draws more current.
Then the 4060ti may be a nice compromise.
I am not sure i should go higher in spec due to the other components.
A balance performance gain / price should remain.

I took the time to build my pc 5 years ago, and until now i have never been disapointed with any choice i made.
It applies to a new gpu. I am ready to change , but not at any cost or if the all pc is not balance anymore.

The 4060ti (3060ti) is already at least twice as powerful as my 1070ti. I suppose it should be enough. I will not go higher as 500€ budget
In any doubt, i will stick with what i have

Anyway, many thanks.
Difficult to d

After reading your comments and searching a little more information, i came to the conclusion that a RTX 4060 ti could cover my expectations.
(So as the rtx 3060ti ). Let me know If i am totally wrong in my interpretation)

- new gen with dlss3 (ACC and maybe upcoming new gen titles ?)
- less current consumption
- in the same class as 3060ti for my resolution 2560x1080
- compatible with my cpu and the rest of my pc in general. (Anything about that would be powerful, but do i really need it ?)
- budget ok (About 400€).

I should be then able to survive the next 2-3 years, and take the time to think about the next quantum jumping with VR or triple screen. (It is currently to soon)
I have i7 6700k and just bought a brand new rtx 3070 for it which cost £350 - combo' runs well for me. Better card than 4060ti imo with 256 bus width compare to 128 of 4060ti which costs £50 quid more. To be honest IMO neither card are worth upgrading to from your 3060ti unless it's all about DLSS but there again 3070 has DLSS 2 and I read DLSS 3 of 4000 series is hit and miss with more graphical anomalies dues to DLSS Frame Generation but I don't know for sure. I upgraded from 2070 super. But I do like the power efficiency of 4000 series and I was tempted by 4060ti myself but saw the 3070 as the better option in the end. But there again is the 4060ti a sideways sought of upgrade which means there is not so much efficiency savings as you may not need to buy it in the first place. 4070 different story but I couldn't afford £600 on top of all gear (have 2 rigs). My end opinion is to ignore my opinion - I'm a conflicted soul in everything.

Last edited:
I didn't check the price vs performance until now, so it might be true. Here's my research:

Using this "performance chart" in 2560x1440 (scroll down almost half): https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefo...lease-Review-Benchmark-Specs-Preis-1419889/3/

A bit dirty, but 2.5x the % to the 4090 to get the numbers into the probably fps range gives us:
4070 ti = 166 fps ; ~820€ => 4.94€/fps
4070 = 136 fps ; ~600€ => 4.41€/fps
4060 ti = 101 fps ; ~400€ => 3.96€/fps

Yep, I'd suggest the 4060 ti too :)
The 4060ti (3060ti) is already at least twice as powerful as my 1070ti.
It depends on the game. My experience was a bit different. I had a GTX 1070 non-ti and due to being the only one doing flexible remote work at the time, I bought a 3060ti, 3070 and 3080. 3060ti and 3070 were for friends.
I tested them all though and 3070 was just about 2x the performance in rF2, AC, ACC, Dirt Rally 2, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider and Witcher 3.
Your TI is a bit better than my non-ti and the 3060 ti is a bit weaker than a 3070.

Here's a benchmark from pcgameshardware in Assassin's Creed:
1692965674755.png
That's not "at least twice as powerful", that's 31% uplift :(

But it really depends on the games and the 4060 ti should scale a bit better! :)

I read again some more , and i think the rx6700xt should be indeed added to the list.

Rx 6700xt 332 €
Rtx 3060ti 404 €
Rtx 4060 ti 450€

As the RX6700XT has about the performance of the rtx 3060ti in 99% of the situation except Ray tracing , the difference of price has to be considered

Last edited:
I read again some more , and i think the rx6700xt should be indeed added to the list.

Rx 6700xt 332 €
Rtx 3060ti 404 €
Rtx 4060 ti 450€

As the RX6700XT has about the performance of the rtx 3060ti in 99% of the situation except Ray tracing , the difference of price has to be considered
I use an RX6700XT as my daily driver (single 1440p / 144Hz), and an RX7900XTX on my Sim Rig (triple 1440p screens). I have no complaints about either GPU, with the exception of the heat from my 7900XTX in a Sun facing room! LOL

I can't speak much on VR performance as I only have an old Oculus Rift which is easy to run. But AMD did release a new driver a month or two back that apparently addressed a lot of the VR performance concerns that people were having.

One thing to keep in mind that hasn't really been mentioned here is NVidia GPUs have slightly higher driver overhead. Since your CPU is a bit older, you "might" have a better experience with an AMD GPU in regards to consistent framerates. If your plan is to use upscaling or frame generation technologies, then maybe this won't matter to you.

AMD is supposed to officially announce their RX7700XT and RX7800XT GPUs today. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
My monitor ist gsync, and i never hat tearing problems.
Maybe i should stay with nvidia just because of that ?
Oh, I completely forgot about this!
If it's G-Sync only and not Freesync compatible then probably yes. You could google the question along with your monitors model name and number, is - - - freesync compatible?
Exactly what Bob says.
You can also just post the model here and I'll probably know it of my head if it has a gsync module in it or is freesync compatible too.
I remember from a few years ago that it's the Alienware?
Then it's 100% gsync and you will lose variable refresh rates when buying an AMD card.
I'm in the same boat btw, with my 3440x1440 34" Alienware monitor.

I only quickly skimmed the last few posts in this thread because I'm out and on my phone. I thought I saw something about 10- and 40-series Nvidia GPUs. I have a 4090, 2080 Ti, and 1080 Ti. Would you like me to do any benchmark comparisons with the 3 or are none of those models cards which you currently have / are looking to buy?

It will be great, because i am curious, but i am not sure that i will decide to purchase any of these cards.

Just to show you what i can obtain currently with my 1070ti on ACC, i put you a link from my new created channel.
(Not a pro youtuber, and not intend to be)

What would be your proposal
  • harness tensioner helps me most, after VR and load cell brake
  • Playing with Intel PresentMon gives some feeling for whether GPU is weaker than CPU
    (Frame Time vs GPU Busy); for some Nvidia as well as (reportedly) AMD GPUs:
    ... but not e.g. RTX 1080Ti
  • PresentMon default overlay settings have Frame Time vs GPU Busy jumbled with other near-real-time graphs; fiddling is wanted, e.g.:
    FrameTime_GPUbusyAvg.jpg
FWIW, PresentMon overlay does not work with my GTX 1080 Ti,
which becomes unstable with drivers newer than 452.06, perhaps because
driving 2560x1600 dual link DVI monitors via DisplayPort adapters.

Last edited:
Hi,
With all of your information I went a little thurther in the process.
And the conclusion is that i am not sure anymore that i should upgrade now.

I made some more tests in tweaking in various games, and i understand better some aspects.
First, if i upgrade my gpu , i could for sure see an improvment, but my cpu is and will remain a limiting factor with AI in AC and ACC (about the games i play the most).
Other said, i may not reach the full potential of the upgrade because of the cpu in these games.

That said , and after my test this not seems to concern other games like AMS 2, AMS, Rfactor 2, and all the older simulations .

Another thing i discovered, is that by undervolting my gpu 1070ti and overclocking slightly my cpu at 4.7 mhz, i could reach surprinsingly pleasant results ( tested in AC and AMS2, to be confirmed). By keeping the gpu cooler i can manage to keep a steady high boost clock , and race with about 20-25 AI in very good conditions (graphics high and about 100 fps).
Of course , no problem by hotlaping or practising alone on track

Also i am reconsidering my absolut need to upgrade NOW, at least i understand and use what i already have at its full potential.

I may decide to upgrade until the end of the year, but then i will probably go for a 3060 ti, if i found one cheap , i mean under 350€.
I will not go further due to the balance with the rest of the pc.

I will make some more test to optimize my gpu/cpu, and put the result here and on my youtube channel. Until then, no upgrade !

I will add that i built this pc 5 years ago, and never thought one second i could play titles like ACC or AC with csp/ pure, or AMS2.
This is only possible because of some decisions i took at that time , like ...ti gpu and ...k cpu, and of course 2560x1080 and not 1440 monitor.

This monitor is really amazing in my opinion. I have absolutely no need to upgrade it at the moment
I use 120% upscaling in ACC and for me it is absolutely not the blurry mess i read a lot about in many forums. (This is what i tried to demonstrate in my humble video).

My pc is all but not high end, but it is possible to fully enjoy simracing in good conditions with it. It is worth mentioning even if of course it would be better with more fps and glamourous graphics after some upgrade.

Sounds great Manu!
Your upgrade path probably is now either a "cheap" graphics card towards the end of the year and/or waiting for the 50xx series 60 (ti) card and the next CPU generation.
Although Intel's 14th gen won't be a real upgrade.. So you'll need to wait for the 15400f or so, which will allow you to upgrade to a 15700k after a few years then.
Or an AMD 8600X, which will be upgradeable to a 8800X3D/9600X/10600X at some point and then a 10800X3D to probably run 500 fps in ACC haha.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%