New monitor is really terrible

acnomad

Premium
Up until recently, the only thing I cared about in a monitor was it's ability to render well for photo editing (no gaming at all). So my photo editing is done on a 4K flat monitor with 10-bit color and only a 60Hz refresh rate.

Now that I'm building a sim racing rig, the goal for the displays is obviously quite different. So, I purchased 3x 32-inch 1440p VA monitors with fast refresh rates, and a gaming desktop with a 4080 GPU. On first power up, the monitor I planned to use for the forward display looks absolutely terrible.

Here is a comparison of two iPhone images taken of a small area in the same photograph displayed on the two monitors.

Left: Samsung LS32BG652ENXGO

Right: BenQ PD3220U

I truly wasn't expecting the difference in display quality to be so profound. I knew the colors would be less realistic, and that I was going to be at a lower resolution. Is this just par for the course, or should I be shopping for a different gaming monitor?

Dont see any comparison but generally color shifts takes time thus gaming monitors try to cheat with them for better response times. I would recommend look into oleds if you are picky with iq and still want a responsive monitor

Dont see any comparison but generally color shifts takes time thus gaming monitors try to cheat with them for better response times. I would recommend look into oleds if you are picky with iq and still want a responsive monitor
Yeah, Oleds are really nice but expensive for my taste, so no personal experience.
Also I´m still dubios about the whole burn in thingy.
I believe that the best counter measure is pixel shift which would be awfull if it was not synchronized on all three panels.:speechless:

The monitors will probably be fine ingame, but that´s no relief when looking at the desktop makes you choke.

I´d say put them at viewing distance (for me that´s around 70cm) and whatch some fast moving videos. If it still bothers you after ten minutes :poop:, start the return process.
My triples are 1080p IPS and since I got a 4k TV a year ago I can see the pixels in desktop, but forget about it ingame..
It doesnt bother me enough to invest in 1440p screens, let alone 4k and a new PC:rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Do you have different brand monitors trying to match colors, even with color profiler it's pretty much impossible to achieve even with better monitors, there always will be some difference.
Get the same brand, color profile them. Double check that you didn't enable HDR mode in Window, that makes SDR content look washed out and dim.

Here is the comparison that I failed to attach in my first post:
Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 1.09.33 PM.jpg

I checked everything and the Samsung monitor is most definitely defective, so it has been shipped back to the merchant for a refund.

For the sim rig, I am not concerned with a precise color profile like I am with the BenQ which I use for photo editing. For that, I use a gadget from a company called a Datacolor Spyder which calibrates it to render accurate colors in my room lighting. This prevents surprises in the final print. The three monitors for the sim rig need only display accurate action at their rated resolution without distracting lines or banding.

Have you seen some tracks in some sims. The colours are cartoony and if you really like good colour reproduction you will have a meltdown because some things will not look lifelike, regardless of what monitor you are using.

TBH, I don't see the issue in the two monitors? The left monitor has artifacting due to the resolution of the screen and the camera and the colours are different but i dont see anything that cant be changed in the profiles so I am not sure what you are intending to show?

It’s quite a bit worse to the eye than my iPhone image shows. Also, the other two 1440p monitors that I just bought are much better. I do realize that the colors in driving sim games will not be accurate, so I have no expectations there. I just mentioned that my color calibration to indicate that I know my way around monitor settings. The monitor I sent back to the seller is truly not up to par.

As I now need to obtain a different third monitor, I have a new question:

Does it make sense to go for a flat monitor for the middle screen and curved for the sides? Or is it considered better to use three of the same?

Best practice is to use three "exactly" the same monitors to avoid shenanigans with Windows and Surround/ Eyefinity. I can´t comment on that because I didn´t dare to mix and match and had three LG´s from the same lot from the beginning. (Ii do not recommend, like the picture quality but DP/HDMI are directly next to VESA mount, normal mounting options of usual monitor stands do not fit.

Last edited:
Quick advice .. forget a about samsung especially about triple screen setup :) The only advantage they have among the other VAs is a somewhat faster response time.. other than that only issues. I was in that "movie" :)

Here are few issues, that remember from my recent experience with different samsung models - triples or singles

- (g6,g7,g9) scanlines especially at 240hz (interlaced like pattern) very visible on some colors or patterns
- (triple g7) rarely not able to boot at all or even freeze in bios if i have adaptive sync enabled on all from the monitors menu (verified with two different pcs, and three different gpus)
- (triple g7, triple g5) unable to get all three together working in gsync correctly
- (g7) very bad stutters and flickers in some situations/games and even image splitted in twice
- (g7,g9) sometimes monitor not want to turn on and need plug/unplug
- (g7) monitor osd control joystick sometimes not functioning (this could be just defective part or single case)
- (triple g7) color difference on each 3 (2 was same batch, 1 was older), but this is manageable if you have hardware to calibrate them

As for recommendations.. I dont know, I moved to ips flats (LG gp850), but they are not perfect again, but with their issues I can live.

EDIT: more specific more numbers for above g6,g7,g9 mentions
G9 = C49G95 2020
G7 = C27G75 2020
G6 = S27BG65 2022

Last edited:
As for recommendations.. I dont know, I moved to ips flats (LG gp850), but they are not perfect again, but with their issues I can live.
I initially thought IPS pricing was out of reach for me, but those are not that much more than the Samsungs I recently bought on sale. I do like the black rendering and contrast that VA achieves, but since I am not a gamer (until now) I do not know how much that matters for sim racing - only what I've read.

What issues do you find most prominent in the GP850 with regard to sim racing?

Last edited:
The main thing is that when they are cold, the image is looks not very clear... how to explain , like you are looking through a grid (mostly vertical) ... like the pixels are bigger, and this is noticable on moving images or on static but when you move your head. I dont know if I explain well enough to be understandable. This happens only first 5-10 minutes until the monitors heat up enough, afterwards the image becomes crystal clear.
Their input/outputs are horizontal and depending on what mounting you will have to your rig, you might need to get angled adapters.
And one last thing is that they have factory oc mode (180hz), and I use them in this OC mode it, but sometimes i get half black screen especially on the monitor with the longest cable (and i changed few cables already). This never happens on their default 165hz mode, and also can be due to the angeld display port adapters I use.

Last edited:
I have had no problems with my LG´s for three years I´ve been using them.
They switch on with a powerstrip and connect reliably after you figure out Eyefinity or surround. (I had AMD and now I run Nvidia)

Only reason to swap would be higher resolution I have FHD´s, 1440p would be nicer for 27"
The store person advised IPS, from comparison to my 24" 4th monitor (VA) I concurre.

Only detriment is installation/input panel, that´s my reason to not recommend:

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 18-34-52 27-inch UltraGear HDR Monitor - 27GP850-B LG USA.png

• Deleted member 197115

Here are few issues, that remember from my recent experience with different samsung models - triples or singles

- (g6,g7,g9) scanlines especially at 240hz (interlaced like pattern) very visible on some colors or patterns
- (triple g7) rarely not able to boot at all or even freeze in bios if i have adaptive sync enabled on all from the monitors menu (verified with two different pcs, and three different gpus)
- (triple g7, triple g5) unable to get all three together working in gsync correctly
- (g7) very bad stutters and flickers in some situations/games and even image splitted in twice
- (g7,g9) sometimes monitor not want to turn on and need plug/unplug
- (g7) monitor osd control joystick sometimes not functioning (this could be just defective part or single case)
- (triple g7) color difference on each 3 (2 was same batch, 1 was older), but this is manageable if you have hardware to calibrate them

Is it QLED Odyssey G9? Can't say that I've experienced any of the issues mentioned, to be honest the first one I got was a dud, but the replacement from Samsung has been absolutely trouble free for many years of every day usage in a single monitor application.
Not knocking down your experience, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it QLED Odyssey G9? Can't say that I've experienced any of the issues mentioned, to be honest the first one I got was a dud, but the replacement from Samsung has been absolutely trouble free for many years of every day usage in a single monitor application.
Not knocking down your experience, btw.
No, it was previous model LC49G95

Samsung monitors are a bit of a mess with names like. "G7" describing a lot of different monitors.
Here's an auto-translated copy of my G9 sheet from a few months ago:

Sorted for release date on this price comparison site:

1. 1080p, 144 Hz, 1800R, 8 Bit + FCR ; CHG90 ; LC49HG90DMUXEN (2017)
  2. 1440p, 120 Hz, 1800R, native 10 Bit ; CRG9 ; LC49RG90SSUXEN / LC49RG94SSUXZG (2019)
  3. 240 Hz, 1000R, G-Sync certified ; G9 G94T / G95T ; LC49G94TSSUXZG / LC49G95TSSUXEN (2020)
  4. Re-release of 1., no differences except supposedly less wattage ; CHG90 ; LC49HG90DMRXEN (2021)
  5. Re-release of 2., also less wattage ; CRG9 ; LC49RG90SSRXEN / LC49RG94SSRXZG (2021)
  6. Re-release of 3, "--" ; G9 G94T / G95T ; LC49G94TSSRXZG / LC49G95TSSRXEN (2021)
  7. G9 Neo, NOT G-Sync certified. Rest identical to 6. but improved HDR ; G95NA ; LS49AG950NUXEN / LS49AG952NUXEN / LS49AG954NUXEN (2021)
  8. Re-release of 2., but somehow very few details...; S95UA ; LS49A950UIUXEN (2021)
  9. Re-release of 2. & 5. ; CRG9 ; LC49RG90SSPXEN / LC49RG94SSPXEN (2023)
  10. G9 Neo Re-release, no differences except slightly different wattage ; LS49AG950NPXEN / LS49AG952NPXEN / LS49AG954NPXEN (2023)
  11. Re-release of 8. ; S95UA ; LS49A950UIPXEN (2023)
  12. Re-release of 3. & 6., G-Sync certified, otherwise only slightly different wattage ; G9 G94T / G95T ; LC49G93TSSPXEN / LC49G94TSSPXEN / LC49G95TSSPXEN (2023)
  13. OLED!, 1440p, 240 Hz, 1800R, G-Sync certified ; OLED G9 G95SC ; LS49CG950SUXEN / LS49CG954SUXEN (no year in title)
  14. 57"!, 2160p, 240 Hz, 1000R, NOT G-Sync certified ; Neo G9 G95NC ; LS57CG952NUXEN / LS57CG954NUXEN (no year in title) ; Note, 240 Hz at full resolution only possible with DisplayPort 2.0, which no Nvidia GPU currently has!
  15. Another version of the 13th OLED. narrower base-stand ; OLED G9 G93SC ; LS49CG934SUXEN (no year in title)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

LOL, Samsung to you. And how many things they called Odyssey? Multiple WMR headsets, different size and spec monitors.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.6%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%