New PC & Monitor advice required

Hi All,

I am looking at getting triple monitors, but will also need a new PC.

I am looking at an RTX 2080 Ti 11GB graphics card but im still unsure about what CPU. I am leaning towards an i9 thinking it will be more future proof than an i7, and I'm also under the impression that it is better for the CAD packages I use for work, but will this handle games? specifically RF2 aswel as an i7 due to how they work?

Regarding the monitors what size do people usually have? I was thinking 27ish" 144hz. Are these ok for a good FOV where you can see your mirror? Also what but resolution is sensible? Are curved any good as a triple setup? I like the idea of 4k but don't like the price and is it necessary on 27". Also is gsync necessary? I would like to think that the GPU won't struggle with it?...

I'd rather have the better spec computer for future proofing components, I'm not as willing to spend the same on the screens yet and I think the price will drop quite considerably. I have tried VR and don't yet think it is for me hence the triple decision.

I am a bit behind the times on computer tech so apologise if my logic is daft and I'm talking a load of s**t but just wondered what the sim community do?

Many Thanks for your thoughts.

The problem with 4k is that it is 60 Hz max last time I looked.

The prices for the computer components fall faster that those for monitors. I would do my future proof setup the other way round. Get best monitor(s) now, upgrade computer later.

Depending on the sim you play you will or won't get near 144 fps at 1440p (11 million pixels) let alone 4k (25 million pixels.... Years away)

rF2 should be okish at 11 million pixels but ACC will be pushing to get 60 even at 4k (8 million pixels) with all settings maxed.... As long as your fine playing the settings game, if not only 1080p x 3 (6 million pixels) will allow close to the high refresh sim racing. (not including older titles).

2080ti is fast but just still not fast enough for 144 fps at 11 million pixels in newest Sims (ACC and if AMS 2 is the same as pC2) I'm afraid so I'm probably in agreement with @dud in that the monitors are what you will keep and the GPU will be what you replace.

As for the i7 vs i9, may as well go the i9 so you won't need to swap that out in any time soon. i7 not having hyperthreading will be it's limiting factor sooner rather than later and you will be up for GPU and CPU in that case.

Good luck and I'd love to have your problem here, lol

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Porsche

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • McLaren

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Intel

Votes: 10 14.3%