Physics Not enough to be a real sim?

Hi guys,

As always, my hobby comes down to "adjusting stuff", before with rF2, now with AC.
I mean; racing alone doesn't do it for me, I need to fiddle with the files, see what happens and so on.
Not the setup, but the data files. No problem; I only do offline and I want to see what is possible, "fix" things I think are off a bit and that kind of stuff.

Now; I heard a lot about AC being better than rF2 and I'm not opening that can of worms, but there are a few things -when we do compare the two- I'm missing here:
- caster adjustment
- cg shifting (I mean; all cars have that.......be it setting the seat 1 inch forward)

Now I'm trying to build that in and there doesn't seem to be that option no matter what?
Is that right?
So, that doesn't seem right for a "proper sim, arguably better than rF2", right?

In case you're serious:
1. caster - not all cars in real life can even change it, and when they do, they don't all adjust it in the same way (same can be said for camber). Odds are that even though the adjustment is present in RF2, it's not necessarily true to the real car (just from a programming perspective, it pretty much has to be a catch-all), so the same caster angle in sim and real life might mean different mechanical trail between the two. Also, the reason it's typically adjusted in real life (steering weight) is one that is not super applicable to sims.
2. cg shift - AC includes the shift from fuel which is really the most important thing. Moving your seat even a foot forward in a car with adjustable seats won't change the weight distribution by a noticeable factor, so the only cars really left out here are ones with adjustable ballast (e.g. LMP2, which neither sim has a good example of).

Not to say that AC shouldn't/couldn't have these features, they're just of relatively minimal importance in the grand scheme of simulation. There are other things which both AC and RF2 (and all consumer sims...) are missing that would make more of a difference to the driving dynamics than what you mentioned.

edit: typo

Last edited:
Well, I am serious.
Have to say this is about F1 cars in this case, but a lot of cars shift their weight, more than you think.
Caster; it is an important setting and does help a lot, especially on an F1 car, I know from real life.
I know a lot from rl racing and thus; I would love to replicate it.

I can't imagine they would be shifting weight up on purpose, but yeah, I know they'll place ballast strategically if they're underweight and have the luxury.

Both of the things you're looking for are possible in AC, of course, you simply need to do them manually in the files. Caster is a function of suspension geometry which you can adjust freely in suspensions.ini. CG height and longitudinal location are also defined in suspensions.ini and car.ini. (suspensions.ini for the physical change, then adjust graphic offset in car.ini to compensate for whatever changes you make in the physics.)

Last edited:
Thanks, I found them!
Still weird it isn't in the setups, right? A lot of games have that; I would expect this one fore sure would have it.

Anyway; up and down for the seat is done for roll. In rain for instance and softer springs.
Its not just a high seat, but for dry, stiff; it is lower. Look at it from that angle. Maximum between them is not even 2 inches, but its enough in F1 cars to make just that tiny bit of difference.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%