Physics right or wrong?

Disclaimer:
First of all please don't make that a fanboy discussion. I always try to be objective and leave my personal preferences out of the way. I am always willing to accept, if something I don't like on emotional basis, is better than what I like on emotional basis.

Ok I hope I covered that part and this won't get into a "You are a fanboy of this and that thread".

Prequal:
Like most people I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa. I read about all the licensed content, loved the screenshots and everything. I didn't drive the tech preview, because I didn't want to get a false impression, because it was all still WIP. The day AC was released on Steam I bought it.
I started really testing it after the first update were the FFB was fixed.

I do really like the game and wanted it to be good and so far my only issue are the physics. Most people praise them and they get a lot of love and I do confess, that in external videos they look great.
The car dives in on the braking, you see all the weight transfer and everything. No other sim offers that!

Example:
But as soon as I drive it, it feels just so wrong to me. Just one example: I tested the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza. I know the track very well and usually drive GT cars, so a perfect combination for me.
Despite all the massive understeer you get everywhere in AC even with setup tweaks, I wanted to point out something you can judge on a much more objective level. So I will talk about the braking distance.

Every racer knows how hard the first braking zone in Monza is. You have a low downforce car and arrive at 260+ kph and have to break down to 60-80kph. So if you look at a lot of GT3 onboards on youtube even with cars, that do have ABS and are a bit restricted due to BOP. They all break before the 200meter board.
That said, I can brake at the 300meter (270kph) board and have the car at a total stand still at 150meters. If I brake for the corner I can brake at or after the 150 meter board.
So we already have a 25% shorter braking zone compared to a real life car with equal or less power and ABS, which I didn't use.

Test conditions:
So now people would start arguing, that I maybe run more downforce and stuff and that is the weirdest thing. I tried to figure out the "worst" braking performance. I used hard tyres and removed all the downforce from the car for this test.

I don't want to get to much into the details of the cornering behaviour and the understeer and that you can just pull on tons of lock and don't get any turn-in oversteer.

Is my opinion qualified?!:
A lot of simracers don't have a lot of reallife experience and I didn't race a GT3 car in my life, but just a quick background:

I drove Race07, rFactor1 and now rFactor2 and I am a pretty good driver in rF2 especially in rear wheel drive touring or GT cars. Even in the new Civic I was racing for wins after 30mins on an unkonw track, so I can quickly adapt to new cars and tracks etc.

In my free time I did some kart races with friends and even on an unkown track with for me unkonw more powerful karts than the average rental karts on a bit cold track I got within 1,9 seconds of the track record within 15min and reduced it to 1,5 seconds in a further 15min.
Keeping in mind that real professional Kart drivers practice their and I had maybe 2 or 3 hours track time in karts ever, I would say I am not a bad driver.

So when I jump out of rF2 into a kart it just feels like home. I apply nearly the same technique and everything. When I jump into AC it all feels wrong. It is so hard to get wheelspin. You can turn the wheel so much, that you would end up in a wall in real life.

I also spoke to some guys with actual racing experience and they got the same feeling.

The end:
I really wanted AC to be a very good sim and I do love everything about it, but these physics keep me from driving it.
In a sim I don't want it to be easy, I want it to be as realistic as possible, but in AC you can apply some really bad driving technique to get quicker laptimes.

But wait, after reading through this whole thread I was about sold on rf2 being the greatest thing ever and was this close to deleting AC and its simplistic, arcade tire model.

So confused.
And nobody said that, well done. Show me were it was an "arcade tire model". They both have diffrent approaches and one is more complex than the other. Complex does not always mean better. It is more a matter of taste, but it is fact, that you can push the tires much harder in AC (at the moment still early beta) without getting punished.

Just because you state something does not make it a fact in any way, shape, or form....If I slide around and punish my tires for just a couple turns I end up backwards...If you are able to push the tires without punishment maybe you need to see if you have tire wear on.

Funny thing, watching the Daytona 24 I would see guys leave the pits with new tires and run laps within a second or so of their best and not get punished...

How did we even decide that one of the tire models is more complex than the other one? I read a couple guys speculating on what they thought might be happening with AC but I never saw where anyone cracked the code open to actually prove what they were saying. Oh well, whatever, roll on troll thread, roll on.

Just because you state something does not make it a fact in any way, shape, or form....If I slide around and punish my tires for just a couple turns I end up backwards...If you are able to push the tires without punishment maybe you need to see if you have tire wear on.

Funny thing, watching the Daytona 24 I would see guys leave the pits with new tires and run laps within a second or so of their best and not get punished...

How did we even decide that one of the tire models is more complex than the other one? I read a couple guys speculating on what they thought might be happening with AC but I never saw where anyone cracked the code open to actually prove what they were saying. Oh well, whatever, roll on troll thread, roll on.
I think I should give an example what I mean exactly. There is no problem doing a PB on fresh tyres even with high fuel on rF2 without killing the tyres.
But if you have a bit understeer in a GT car in AC I can put on a bit too much lock and go onto the power quite hard and power through the understeer if the front tyres. I can do that on every lap without hurting my tyres. You can apply the same "technique" in rF2 and wear first of all is not a problem, but you get the tyre out of its working temperature window and you loose a lot of grip on the front. In early rF2 builds you could do that without punishment.
I cant really get my front tyres overheated in AC. With the rear tyres it is much easier.

I guess the truth is between both. RF2s front tyres are a bit too sensetive for heat and the rears are most of the time no problem. In AC it is the other way around. Therefore you can apply a more aggressive driving style.

In the real world you can have both really depends on the tyres. I can post a video from Martin Brundle later. There you can see the diffrence between Button and Alonso in older F1 cars and they both apply one of each techniques.

Of topic:

Bwaaah, please admin team or master of the race department universe can't you just remove this stupid brown smilie, please?
Is it only me or what? It just puts me of reading any post/thread with that smiley included. Makes all those posts so bwaaaah and redundant. Please remove it or replace it with something funny.
I don't know why people use that, it's not common where I live to show that kind of stuff off in every single sentence. I mean people censor that with **** if they wonna spell it but the picture of it is just fine lol.
Ahhhhhh could go on and on about it lol, sorry. :D

Yet again I see certain individuals putting words into Frederic's mouth. And others still stuck in the ways of putting down everyone else and the sims they like. I refer to my avatar for the attitudes I'm finding here.

I had high hopes that things would change in the sim racing community after the release of AC, rF2, *maybe* pCARS and SimBin's newest offerings. I guess I'm just naive. Different sims, same bickering and tired cliches. :cautious: I wasn't aware that we were still stuck in 2008...

Yet again I see certain individuals putting words into Frederic's mouth. And others still stuck in the ways of putting down everyone else and the sims they like. I refer to my avatar for the attitudes I'm finding here.

I had high hopes that things would change in the sim racing community after the release of AC, rF2, *maybe* pCARS and SimBin's newest offerings. I guess I'm just naive. Different sims, same bickering and tired cliches. :cautious: I wasn't aware that we were still stuck in 2008...
Thank you someone who understands what I am posting :D

One thing I found funny is, that during this thread AC updated the tyre model (v 0.5) and the GT3 and GT2 for example have now less understeer, but people were already defending the old version.

I hope I wont cause mayhem with that sentence :D

I think I should give an example what I mean exactly. There is no problem doing a PB on fresh tyres even with high fuel on rF2 without killing the tyres.
But if you have a bit understeer in a GT car in AC I can put on a bit too much lock and go onto the power quite hard and power through the understeer if the front tyres. I can do that on every lap without hurting my tyres. You can apply the same "technique" in rF2 and wear first of all is not a problem, but you get the tyre out of its working temperature window and you loose a lot of grip on the front. In early rF2 builds you could do that without punishment.
I cant really get my front tyres overheated in AC. With the rear tyres it is much easier.

I guess the truth is between both. RF2s front tyres are a bit too sensetive for heat and the rears are most of the time no problem. In AC it is the other way around. Therefore you can apply a more aggressive driving style.

In the real world you can have both really depends on the tyres. I can post a video from Martin Brundle later. There you can see the diffrence between Button and Alonso in older F1 cars and they both apply one of each techniques.

I've found that in AC if I power through the understeer, it does affect front grip. I even suspect that it goes so far as to make the FFB weaker to simulate less grip, but I don't know for sure. It sure feels like it does. I think you're wrong about understeer and front grip. I also think things like this are over-exaggerated in other sims so that they can be more easily detected, and thereby perceived as "more realistic." But like I said, if I power through understeer, it seems to me that I get more nasty understeer on the next corner in AC. It's subtle, but lap after lap, I'm convinced it's there.

ETA: I'm mainly driving street cars with the weakest tires available, not GT3s with slicks.

Very mature making comments without an explenation. All games do have their flaws and maybe some games like Race07 don't have perfect physics, but why should they be called sim-cade?
Sim-cade is a game which provides you a typical arcade game style with careers, tuning, achievements, story and everything, but provides a bit better physics than most arcade games. Games like Race07 try to simulate a real world championship without a lot of extra and try to provide realistic physics.
You can call it a bad sim, but not simcade.
But Race07 isn't "bad", just not as good as sims which are better. For example SimBin would have made a Race08 which excels in everything compared to R07 - Race07 wouldn't be suddenly a worse game or sim, it's still the same as before. I don't think this is anything that can simply be put into one word...

Race 07: drifting

rFactor: drifting

rFactor 2: drifting

Gsc: drifting

Gtr2: drifting

:roflmao::O_o::confused::D

Edit: me drifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-Oysl1Jw4
The 'your driving' as an example. 0:09 onwards allows you to increase or decrease the angle. It's also hard to drift around the inside of the corner, drifting isn't to point the front of the car into a corner and then hope to keep it a a decent angle, it's about control. That makes initiating the drift almost too easy in some of the "sim" videos, and in result makes the drift itself not look as compelling. Good, but it could be more realistic.

On the other hand you need that control not just in drifting but also in driving on a track - not for controlling 45° drifts, more for controlling oversteer, preventing understeer, in general driving itself, even if the car doesn't look sideways it's guaranteed not all 4 tires point straight forward all the time :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%