Post Pictures Thread (part 4)

Cool that's rocking !! :)

Sure Dave, the car.ini tweaking & debugging can last hours...especially when having a real steering wheel.

I usually redo everything (http://www.supercars.net/) & don't do a copy of other car games physics.
Still, thanks to other games, the sound & texture collection for Racer cars is really speeding the process & makes it more enjoyable porting cars.

FM3 cars for example, now that I have a bunch of them converted & analyzed in depth their work, I can say, the basis is nice (the 3D scanning), but the UV layouts, especially for the seats & other stuff is ugly.

I typically make it nice enough to enjoy the interior view...
Now, Racer needs to align itself with the quality work we can provide & release, like the shadows (projected & ambient) & other stuff too.

The FM3 cars are a bit iffy in some cases... some look good but others like the E46 M3 are a bit poor.

Anyone got any FM4 cars yet? I'd really like to work on an F360 CS if anyone could get me the model!?

Thanks

Dave

I have some cars from FM4 in Racer, like Golf MK3, BMW M5 E28, Alfa Romeo Brera... they quality is very good, but also they have a lot of polygons, which makes work with them a bit harder. dutchman, pm me too

Car model courtesy of Turn 10 studio's Forza 4

This is LOD1 model, so not that many polygons vs the photomode LOD0 models. You really can't tell most times except for HQ high res screenies but to be honest Racer is about racing/driving, not photographing :D

Just FYI for those converting these cars, you can collapse them down to save tons of batches, weld all the verts and do the smoothing via smooth groups.
Just doing those two jobs gets me about double FPS from the car in this basic studio setting. Obviously you need to consolidate textures/shaders as much as possible.

In theory I can get this car down to about 7 shaders for the outside, and probably about 5 textures, so in theory it should run faster FPS than the default Lambo... this RS3 is doing so right now :D

rs3_white.jpg

Just thinking generally, it'd be nice to have a Racer photomode one day maybe. Press a button and it stops everything where it is, then you can move the camera around, set DOF, vignetting, motion blur, exposure, glare, bloom, AO and all those things can be cranked up...

That is when you would start really wanting LOD0 models too... just for still images, not for actually driving with.

Dave

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%