Quest 2

Are you not worried about the video compression using the link?
Hi, I am going to try virtual desktop first. From what I have seen the quality will improve gradually after release. Did not purchase just for sim racing , that is just an added bonus. Tried the quest once and after that it was a no brainer for £280.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ordered the 256 version with improved headstrap and expanded battery pack for our son who, although he just built a powerful gaming PC, is enamoured of the Quest 2's standalone capabilities. He can go to a friend's house or even an open field, quickly demarcate playing boundaries, and have a VR experience.

Upvote 0
gents - the Quest 2 - anyone have any feedback on it so far?

I've just started reading up on VR again after a massive break from it (was a big CV1 fan but for many reasons not had it installed and used for well over a year).

Reading Quest 2 info and it looks like a substantial step up, but haven't yet seen anything sim racing specific about it (which is the only types of games i play).

Any feedback from owners would be good to hear.

Upvote 0
Here's what I know about Oculus and Facebook regard Quest 2 ordering and availabilty in the U.S. . . .

A. We had a decision to make when we ordered the 256GB Quest 2 on 20 September

1) Order from Amazon, Best Buy, or Newegg or 2) order direct from Oculus. The latter was chosen because Oculus had the improved head strap and longer life battery combo as an exclusive accessory bundle.

B. At the time, our order was expected to ship 12 October.

C. Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg Quest 2 customers have been receiving their gear. My son's friends have their headsets, so my son has been continually asking me to check our order status.

D. When I contacted Oculus regarding order status on 12 October, a service rep "Mia" emailed me that the "internal processing" of our order had been completed and the package was to be "handed over to the courier" and the courier would send me tracking information. I was satisfied to hear this "progress" (if you miss my tone; now I use this word sarcastically for this situation) and they closed my ticket on that issue.

E. On 14 October, I opened another ticket with Oculus requesting courier tracking. "Varsha" emailed me that my package had NOT been handed over to the courier and they would require more time for processing*.

*My son has found several forum posts stating the Oculus shipping delay is due to a lack of improved headstraps or extended life batteries. I have not confirmed this.

F. Now we're over a barrel: we can either 1) cancel the Oculus order and hope to pick up the headset with a standard battery or 2) wait.

Regarding option #1, I see no option to cancel just the 256GB headset portion of our order and maintain our order for the . My son wants the Quest 2 mainly for its standalone capabilities. He does not want the standard battery because he does not want to game for only two hours and then recharge the battery for two hours.

Option #2--I told my son he could get the less desirable headset now. He sees the wisdom in waiting for his ideal setup but is nonetheless impatient.

Making the wait a little easier--the games his friends and he really want to play on Quest 2 have not yet been released by third party developers.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

From CSP Discord
"@Jcustodio77 if you get it to work check and see if your GPU stays at max frequency when you get out of the game and are back to the home in VR desktop. Not gonna lie I am just about to go return this quest 2. Game looks like **** and now the GPU does not throttle down unless you power off the headset."
You can ask guy for more details, but seems like it's a no go

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Yes I picked mine up some days ago and tested it against my good old Rift S. And the Rift S won it, for me (1080ti). Crisper image, better framerate. And more comfort wearing it. The Q2 is great and I will keep it, but for wired use it is not better than the Rift S (yet? maybe Oculus will do some firmware updates and improve that, I mean they want to have the Q2 as all in one solution, right?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I heard one guy who got a Q2 and has a Pimax 8KX say that he was surprised but Q2 did pretty well. He's running a 2080Ti and a top shelf system to push his 8KX.

Anyway, It seems the Q2 is a pretty good deal. It's inexpensive and stand alone or tethered.

I don't think it is setting any new records, but it's a great gateway for a person to get stand alone and then eventually connect to a PC if they get more into VR gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are at least two YT vids on Quest 2 and sim racing. One is GamerMuscle's and the other is a guy I've never heard of before - Karl Gosling:

I've never bought into VR after my brief experience with the CV1. The Quest 2 has piqued my interest but I'm one of those whose totally turned off by the Facebook requirement and is, in fact, a deal breaker for me. I'll continue to wait in the wings. I'm not willing to make a big investment into VR since at this point in time, it's just a curiosity thing for me. It helps that I'm a patient guy. :cool:

Upvote 0
The whole logging in with FB to get to VR seems to have hit a nerve with many people who have been quite vocal, but a whole lot of other people don't seem to care. FB can likely correlate you with your FB account in most cases. They have some pretty advanced AI.

Maybe the more important take away is that they are announcing that they are going to track what you do in VR and eventually track what you are looking at in VR and how to hook you to stay in VR longer.

Upvote 0
I have a rift s and a quest 2 and for simracing the rift s is better. Currently the quest 2 running over the link cable is rendering at a lower resolution(same as quest 1) than its native resolution which results in a decent but soft image. Rift s seems sharper but has more sde. Most of the youtubers have been using a beta quest firmware which renders at quest 2s full resolution eg 4k and that looks much better . How much latency it has is yet tobe seen.
As a standalone gaming headset quest 2 is great, as a media playback device its even better, watching youtube netflix amazon video is a joy.

Upvote 0
gents - the Quest 2 - anyone have any feedback on it so far?

I've just started reading up on VR again after a massive break from it (was a big CV1 fan but for many reasons not had it installed and used for well over a year).

Reading Quest 2 info and it looks like a substantial step up, but haven't yet seen anything sim racing specific about it (which is the only types of games i play).

Any feedback from owners would be good to hear.

Seems 90Hz mode is desired but big improvement over original CV1 that quite a few of us had experiences with. Will the pricepoint this Quest 2 is at put pressure on HP to reduce the Reverb G2 selling price?

With Quest 2 also being a standalone device it has certain other user benefits over some of the specification benefits of the G2. Quite a big gap in price for what may be mainly slightly better visuals and audio but future comparisons will be interesting to see.

Part of the bigger problem is how well/bad VR works in racing sims

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CV1 was always 90hz.

Obviously but currently without external methods Quest2 isn’t (yet). While it still has better clarity and visuals over CV1. Quest2 owners are saying for racing sims having the 90Hz is noticeable and recommend using it also with the enhanced refresh too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 290 34.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 234 27.9%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 155 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 8.0%