RACE 07 Racing Club (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hya all

As a start lets kick some WTCC cars after the pause period. :)

Time: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET
Practise: 30 min
Qualy: 30 min
Race: 2*10 laps
Weather: Dry

Track: Istanbul
Cars: WTCC 06 and 07

Server name: RSC # RPMnet.org
Password: spa

Server 1 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #1
  1. Attila Domján - Chevy
  2. Gareth Hickling - Peugeot
  3. Pauliebhoy Harrigan - Seat Leon
  4. Gregory Degreef - BMW E90
  5. Mehmet Arikan - Seat
  6. Jerome Benard - Alfa Romeo
  7. Cristian Haba - BMW E90
  8. Christian Deparis - Seat 07
  9. Jens Hoeppner - BMW E90
  10. Patrick van Driel -Seat Leon
  11. James Yates - BMW E46
  12. Jari Vinnari - BMW E90
  13. Marcel Hulsbergen - Alfa 156
  14. Peter Böszörményi - Seat Leon
  15. Kent Karlén - Chevy 07
  16. darron miller - Peugeot
  17. Michael Herrmann - Alfa 156
  18. Nico Major - BMW E90
  19. Rami Kaukola - BMW E90
  20. Christopher Aponte - Seat LEon
  21. Simon Trendell - Peugeot
  22. big daddy Morpheus Lightning McQueen - car tbd
  23. Baron-Rouge[NO-B] - Seat Leon
  24. ingemar petersson Seat Leon
  25. Nevermind - Seat Leon
Server 2 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #2
  1. Driver
  2. Driver
  3. Driver
  4. Driver
  5. Driver
  6. Driver
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver

I can make this after all so I will arrive with Coulthards Red Bull.

Guys, we all need to be aware that there is a big risk of incidents on the first lap! I always try to look out for possible incidents in front and prepared to slow if necessary. Two recent races I came around corners - saw crashed or spun cars in front and slowed to avoid them. I managed to slow but cars behind have come fast, and ploughed into me, not funny.

It's like some guys see slowed cars in front and just think of it as an opportunity to pass, not realizing that the others have slowed to avoid an accident or that extra care is needed. If you see a slowed car on lap 1 look on it as a YELLOW FLAG! I dont say no overtaking but I do say SLOW and take care even if it means you miss an overtaking opportunity. We are talking about lap 1 here - you have the whole race - IF you don't blow it for yourself and others on lap 1!

Looking forward to a good race here for this is an excellent track/car combination.

Minis at Edmonton Airport - Race Report

I’d only raced here once before – in ATCC Season 1. I remember 2 things, the “speedbumps” that are used to prevent cutting are fierce and the tyres at the double apex hairpin are killers. Other than that I’d expected a fair amount of wall rubbing, but in these Minis that’s normally less of an issue as they can pretty much take a beating and keep on running. An added advantage of the Minis is that you can slam the gears and get extra braking without the fear of blowing what appears to be their indestructible engines. Even with the expected “suspension damage” messages, they still drive pretty well.

11 hardy souls spurred on by the threat to kittens pitched up and it had been some time since I’d driven the Mini’s in anger. Fortunately, Keith B had put a set-up on line from the last visit to Edmonton, but at the last minute I used the new one that he had tweaked for tonight. Id concentrated in practice in driving slow in fast out which is the technique for this track as it lets you control the understeer and avoid sliding into the walls on exit. Thanks Keith for the setup. Best time in practice is a low 1:24.

Qualifying
Never managed to get a perfect lap, but the short length of this track means that you could get 4 or 5 3 lap runs in. Managed a few good laps but was stuck in the 1:24’s and qualified 9th from 11.

Race 1
Poor start as on dropping the clutch the revs fell right down and I was slow away still stayed ahead of Mike Bell but not Mike Chaney who was sitting in 10th as we went more or less side by side throught T1. No matter as turns 2 & 3 are single file and you can normally catch up with the pack. Generally a good race at first between me and Eric O the highlight of which, for me was a pass as we went through the right-left combination into the start finish straight to go up to P7, followed by another battle with Mike C when he pipped me to the post passing me on the last but one lap to take P7 and leave me in the last points position in P8. By the end of this first race, my nerves were shot and so were the front tyres. This was Intense door to door racing with plenty of friendly rubbing and nudging. Gratz Eric O and Mike C.

Race 2
For the first time in my RD racing History I was sitting on Pole. No cars in front and from my in car view none to the side. All that I could say to myself was: “don’t fluff the start. Don’t fluff the start…”. I knew that if I didn’t get off well I’d be engulfed by the much quicker pack before I even got a chance to settle.

Wonder of wonders, as the lights went out, I dropped the clutch to see the needle drop to 4,000 rpm and the car launch toward T1. I took a wide entry in case Mike C sitting on P2 at the start had a better start and it allows for a tight exit minimising the chance of losing time from a wall grind. I exited that corner still in the lead and punched through the T2-3-4 complex. I had hoped that there would be some carnage in the following pack through that complex to let me build a bit of a lead. In the meantime all I could hear was the TS reaction to Ryan C’s gymnastic display (which looked amazing on the replay and stills in Eric N’s post). Managed to lead my first whole lap ever at RD but was quickly passed by Jesper, shortly after that Keith B and Eric N passed although I did try to fight back and Keith and I were side by side through t 10 with us both avoiding the walls. Next was to try to hold on to 4th from the charging Ryan C whose Mini Adventure proved just how tough these little cars are. Going for the pass at the double apex hairpin Ryan outbraked himself at the first apex narrowly avoiding the “tyres of death”. Eventually Ryan gets past me so now P5. After that I mange to keep Alvin N-R and Reggie B behind me until Alvin N-R dives down the inside at the first apex on the hairpin punts me into the tyres and drives off which means that I have lost P5 and P6 to him and Reggie. After that I had Mike C behind me by about 8-9 second so drove sensibly in very worn tyres to a P7 finish.

Overall, a good result for me even though there were only 11 runners, finished p7 just ahead of Mike C who had the same results as me a P7 and P8 finish. And broke into the 1:22's whilst chasing Jesper on laps 2 and 3.

Where was I losing the time:

• For some reason, even using Keith’s setup and contrary to what Ryan advises, it is possible to lock up the fronts and I lost loads of time bringing the car under control where that happened. I don’t know why as I’m on tha same braking setup as Keith who seemed to be able to mash the brakes with oblivion;
  • Drive the H pattern more. The number of times I block changed to 1st or 2nd when I meant to go to 3rd of 4th. I’ve lost count. Luckily, these engines don’t blow up!

See you all at Bridgehampton Friday night!

Some SS's and a video to follow.

Ps if anyone hadn't posted the link to the skin that they used last night could they please do so. I'll start up a skinpack.

Thanks for the feedback on the setup. It stands to have some minor tweaks, basically a little stiffer in the springs. Just goes to show how much I have to learn "driving" these FWD Touring cars (will still be 0.5+ seconds off the pace of the aliens and semi-aliens). But it's good to know that I am not so far off in creating setups.
Used Michael C's uploaded setup for the Honda and got a 130.8 on a qualification run dropping the rear wing to 2 but was a little sketchy. Made my own setup similar to Michael's but time was not improved any. Nice setup Michael!
First time out on this track and its fun with a clear road but I think racing will be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.3%