rFactor 2 Screenshots

I don't get it, half of these recent shots look really flat.

I'm sure it was looking nicer a while back.

It looks like it's been tone-mapped flat. Those super sunny days would look better with more areas blown out or at least have whites at 255rgb, and then the shadows be darker. Instead a super sunny day (blue sky, sun high up in the sky) has milky whites and shadows that you can easily see details inside.

I know tone mapping is subjective, photos vs what you see with your eye, but in my view these recent screenies look a bit naff to be perfectly honest.
None are mistaken for photos at first, unlike Forza 4 or GT5 screenies for example, and that is almost totally down to the tone mapping in my view...

I guess the issue is, should we be aiming for screenies to look like photos or not? I think we should. Generally I feel a sim is more 'realistic' when it looks more like a photo, despite my eyes seeing things not like a camera would.

Cover about 6 stops with some curve/knee for another stop at each end, and I think you have something that looks really nice. These shots look like about 12 stops with totally linear mapping.

Dave

The game looks great, but the colour is off, I agree totally. Looks like a bit of GRID-syndrome, a subtle wine coloured filter in the evenings. A bit too much, I think. In the daytime it's not nearly as bad, but it doesn't look natural.

I am confident that mods will come out after to adjust the settings. Remember the updated cubemaps in rFactor and Race 07? Very simple change to a very small file, but it made the cars looks so much better. That's what makes GT5 looks as sexy as it does, the lighting and colouring :)

I am confident that mods will come out after to adjust the settings. Remember the updated cubemaps in rFactor and Race 07? Very simple change to a very small file, but it made the cars looks so much better. That's what makes GT5 looks as sexy as it does, the lighting and colouring :)

Yep, assuming they don't encrypt/compile these fundamental tweakable files, it'll be a 5k text file to tweak the way it looks.

Lighting is very hard to get right. Once again this morning driving to work I was distracted by the lack of any light imparted by the sun just after sun-rise. The sun generated a great deal of 'sky' light though, and was casting shadows, but they were so very feint they were blown out by the glossy sheen of a damp road reflecting the sky!

Trying to balance all these effects to get natural lighting is tough. The more realistic you make your rendering pipeline, the more it can look wrong because the real values you are throwing into it are not accurate enough!

Dave

Is the way it looks to do with this HDR (not the same as photography HDR, and I don't like that either) that everyone seems obsessed with. Personally I don't like what I've seen from the screenshots that have been posted.

Was really hoping that in game HDR would be a selectable option in the graphics options (so that I could turn it off if i wanted), but from what I can gather it doesn't seem like that will be the case. I might be wrong, but I read somewhere on ISI's forums about not being able to even change your own textures without creating a registered mod if you want to use them online.

Is the way it looks to do with this HDR (not the same as photography HDR, and I don't like that either) that everyone seems obsessed with. Personally I don't like what I've seen from the screenshots that have been posted.

Was really hoping that in game HDR would be a selectable option in the graphics options (so that I could turn it off if i wanted), but from what I can gather it doesn't seem like that will be the case. I might be wrong, but I read somewhere on ISI's forums about not being able to even change your own textures without creating a registered mod if you want to use them online.

You can make personal profiles for it with things you want on or off. :)

My new best friends!

kf62df.jpg

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.2%