rFactor Racing Club (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
386026rFactorHistoricXflyer.jpg

Please Note this is for rFactor 1

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM HistorX
Ip 5.198.127.19:34297
Class /Cars: Lotus Elite '61 Vs Fiat Abarth 1000TC '65
Track: Watkins glen Nascar layout ( Download )

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock

Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (13 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.20 (13 laps)

Note 1: Only default liveries or the liveries that come with the mod please
Note 2: Odd Number Sign ups Race1 = Lotus / Race2 = Abarth Even number vice versa.
Note 2: 10 minute Superpole 3 laps (1x out lap 1x fast lap & an inlap )
but please use escape on the 3rd lap do not drive it

Server password: Click here
Racing rules: Click here

Entry List:
  1. Rupe wilson - lotus / Abarth
  2. Yves Larose - Abarth/ lotus
  3. Matej Lakota - Lotus / Abarth
  4. Jarek Kostowski - Abarth/ lotus
  5. Andrew Jarnell - Lotus / Abarth
  6. Jack Smith - Abarth/ lotus
  7. Tristan Clark - Lotus / Abarth
  8. Hans Sneep - Abarth/ lotus
  9. Steven Walker - Lotus / Abarth
  10. Mike Bishop - Abarth/ lotus
  11. Allan Ramsbottom - Lotus / Abarth
  12. Mick Martin - Abarth/ lotus
  13. Jacob Boonstra - Lotus / Abarth
  14. Krzysztof Babi - Abarth/ lotus
  15. Tim Ling - Lotus / Abarth
  16. Stig Bidstrup - Abarth/ lotus
  17. Roland Warmenhoven - Abarth/ lotus
  18. Hiroshi Awazu - Abarth/ lotus
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
Rules:
If you have not entered the server and driven a few laps with fellow drivers before we go to qualifying you are to late for that session. Please think of your fellow drivers and get out on track with them, watch how they drive, you can't race with guys you have not seen drive.
We ALL brake a little differently and drive the corners differently, get used to how they drive and then we can all race more safely.
If you drop out of the server during qualifying you can return.

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

For info on HistorX 1.96 click me

Last edited:
There has to be something wrong with your setup (hardware or software) or what you are doing, I drove both cars hard and had more than 90% engine health left when the race finished. I'd suggest you to connect to the server some day and try to figure out what's going on, I'll gladly try to help if I can.

Just a quick post to say thanks to Rupe for the great event. It seemed to go very well, even with the large grid and new interface, ( for GTLers) . Well done to William for the strong showing in both races,( Win and podium) and Davy V for his win in Race 1...also to Maxim, Yves, amd Jarek for their podiums.
Dispite the obvoius bugs, which I am sure will get sorted out quickly, it really was impressive how well this worked.
I don't pretend to know very much about the "physics" of the sim, but my sense is this seems more authentic. ( having driven a real E-type Jag and an Alfa Spider, without the drifting!)

Well done everyone, see you next time! :thumbsup:

It'd be good to hear what the others who had engine issues are doing differently, cos I don't left foot brake for one. That might be the cause if your issues, but it might be totally unrelated as well.
Dunno if rFactor has a chance of having a random engine failure no matter how kind you treat it, anyone to confirm or deny this?

Edit:
This post over here suggests that there is a random element;
http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/sho...c3c9096184043bcd4a3a6ee&p=2750765&postcount=4

Quote from the post;
Mechanical Failure
The rate of mechanical failures for vehicles is determined by two lines in the engine file. The example I’ll use here is the BMW 635 in TCL. Go to the folder C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\TCL\635 and open the document 635_engine (text file, so use notepad or similar). This determines the engine characteristics, so there’s a lot of numbers in there, but the ones we are interested in are 6 and 7 from the bottom:

LifetimeAvg=55000 // average lifetime in seconds
LifetimeVar=100 // lifetime random variance

If you read my last post, you’ll see that I have set every default race distance to be standardised around F1 race distances, and if you’re using that base, along with % time-scaled races, then you’re looking at a race lasting around 8000 to 10000 seconds (depending on average speeds at the circuit). You can see from the figures quoted that the 635 will make this easily. I decided that I wanted mechanical failures to be throughout the whole race, so the LifetimeVar will have to be the same as the LifetimeAvg. The next key decision is what rate of mechanical failure I want; a LifetimeAvg that is too low will result in too many retirements. The 635 is pretty reliable, so I’ll go with a 20% mechanical failure rate, over an assumed 10000 second race (about 2hr40mins). That equates to this –

LifetimeAvg=25000 // average lifetime in seconds
LifetimeVar=25000 // lifetime random variance

10000 / 20% = 50000, halved to take into account that the variance is the same as the lifetime; although the lifetime is stated as 25000, a mechanical failure could strike 25000 seconds either side. Apologies for my explanation not being the greatest here, but I hope it makes enough sense to be useful.
Not every car is going to have the same reliability. I set the 635s and Corollas pretty high, and the Sierras (for example) lower:

LifetimeAvg=15000 // average lifetime in seconds
LifetimeVar=15000 // lifetime random variance

Total range is 30000 seconds, so in a 10000 second race 1 in 3 Sierras will suffer mechanical failure.

You’ll notice this if you change these settings, but the failures don’t always manifest themselves as “Engine”. “Brakes”, “Suspension” and “Gearbox” also appear, and the way the car visually exits from the race corresponds; plume of smoke, lock-up or straight-on at a corner, car suddenly veers off, pulls over or into the pits. I think that this variability is hard-coded into the game, as I’ve yet to find anything in mod data that influences it. The variation of exits is nice, though.

Edit 2: And here's the same two lines for the cars in the HistorX mod (identical on both cars we ran);

LifetimeAvg=108000 // average lifetime in seconds
LifetimeVar=16200

Last edited:
Both races were an absolute blast for me and I had a great time testing myself against good friends and newcomers alike.:inlove: As is usually the case with me I started from the back and worked my way through the pack taking opportunities that presented themselves and planning my overtakes for the tougher and more consistent drivers.:sneaky: I seem to have more fun doing it this way rather than running with the fast guys at the front.:laugh: We had a marvelous turnout for this event and more contestants meant more action through the field and the replays look brilliant.

Talking of replays, I watched @Jack Smith in both races after he posted about his woes and I think I noticed the problem. You seemed to be changing gear when the light comes on in the cockpit which meant that you were close to the limit where the engine starts getting damaged and on numerous occasions your revs spiked above the limit. This coupled with the engine temps meant that it only took 1 more rev spike and the engine burst into flames.:(
The same happened with other drivers whose engines blew. They revved their engines too hard and boom went the block, especially @Tim Ling who blew on the grid in race 2. You planted your foot when the lights were about to change and the engine revved to over 9500 which was WAY too high and at those speeds it takes 1 or 2 seconds to turn the engine into a smoking lump of steel.:cry:

There is a way of being able to tell how high you can rev the engine safely and that is by looking at the specs when choosing the car. Look for the line that says "POWER" and this will give you something like 116kw @ 7,400 for example. This means that you can safely take it to this level before changing gear and it will also be low enough to accommodate rev spikes when you dip the clutch slightly before your throttle is lifted enough. You may find that when on track you can take the revs up to f.i. 8,200 before the engine health starts to deteriorate but it's definitely not a good idea to do this especially during a race as it's too close to the limit to be able to change at the correct point every time so a point in between 7,400 and 8,200 is a good place to change gear.:geek:

As for starting from the grid then there is no need to hold the revs high before lifting the clutch in my opinion. I have found that you can make perfectly good starts by treating it as a slightly faster exit from your garage. It lessens the risk of blowing up at the start massively.;)

I hope that this bit of advice helps some of you and I'd like to congratulate the winners and podiums and offer my gratitude to all who turned up. It was an immense pleasure to race with you all.:inlove: Till next time then:thumbsup:

Well, a bit better run for me this time than last Sunday. Last week my race ended right at the start :D.

I went from 97% to 8% engine life right at the start, don't really know why engine life degraded so badly, it wasn't like i sat at the line over revving the motor then dumping the clutch but oh well, so my goal was to just try and at least finish the race. I managed to do 8 laps then i spun my car and while i was trying to get myself back on track i ended up over revving my motor and did in my car :thumbsdown:

Still had fun though.

Edit:
I checked my replay and as a matter of fact i did end up pushing the revs past the limit at the start :whistling:.

Last edited:
Update @Steve. I think I may have solved the engine damage issue, but time will tell. My solution, if correct, may help some of the others.

I checked replays and noticed that I was indeed redlining quite often, but in the actual race I did not see that.. Why??? I had the in game tach dial enabled and it was placed in front of my car's tach making it difficult to see. It was large and easy to see so I left it enabled, assuming it was in sync with the car's tach.
I had tried to remove the in game tach earlier when first installing the game but the mapped key did not work so I just left it on. I just mapped a new key to the tach and disabled it, drove a car and compared both tachs by enabling and disabling, and also just moving the seat position and I noticed that there is a definite difference in the redlines. I will test this more ( late here and afraid of failure ) tomorrow.

Hi there

My race story in this replay....or Movie..from heat 1
I was overtaken by @Yves Larose @William Levesque @Jarek Kostowski and @Franklin Stegink
....I couldent really do anything they just disappeared in the Horizon...
its taken from my Live onboard cam...mixed with a small amount of the replay file..
heat 2 was short lived...on the straigth I forgot Theres only 4 gears in a cortina ( Blown Engine )

[video=youtube]

Stig Bidstrup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 58 9.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 39 6.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.3%