Samsung Odyssey USB connection oddities

This is a weird one so bear with me if you can while I try to describe it :thumbsdown:

Recently, something seems to have changed with the way my PC recognises the HMD.

My headset is always plugged in and permanently connected but what's changed recently is that everyone I open Windows Mixed Reality, which is done automatically whenever I launch a VR sim via Steam, this sequence of events happen:

1) Windows USB hardware device inserted tone plays, as if I've just inserted the HMD USB cable (which I haven't)
2) Multiple extra hardware devices show up in the control panel (3x Generic Non-PnP Monitor and Virtual Display Adapter)

W10 Devices MR Running.jpg

When I close Windows Mixed Reality, the Windows USB hardware disconnected tone plays and the extra devices disappear from the control panel

W10 Devices MR Not Running.jpg

This never used to happen and I believe the HMD was recognised as being plugged in as soon as the PC booted rather than this connected/disconnected cycle that now happens alongside the opening and closing of Windows Mixed Reality.

None of this effects my VR gameplay and everything seems to be working as it should, VR wise but I've owned this headset for 18 months now and the above only seems to have crept in a few months back.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

• Deleted member 197115

that everyone I open Windows Mixed Reality, which is done automatically whenever I launch a VR sim via Steam,
It's prone to errors due to USB re-enumeration. Always launch SteamVR first before launching sim or other VR title.

It's prone to errors due to USB re-enumeration. Always launch SteamVR first before launching sim or other VR title.

Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a shot. My memory is sketchy but now that you mention it, I used to be in the habit of doing that back when some games required it but had gotten out of the habit when those issues (or so I thought) got resolved.

Change the language to english. And go totally down the page to take a look at the point Additional issues,

This is bothering me too since this update! O_o

"During Windows Mixed Reality sessions, virtual monitors are shown as generic physical monitors in Settings> System> Display."

That's very interesting and I wasn't aware of that change. Thanks for the link :)

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Porsche

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • McLaren

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 32 39.5%
  • Intel

Votes: 12 14.8%