sepang trees and facelift extension

Tracks sepang trees and facelift extension 0.96

Login or Register an account to download this content
BoBaHK submitted a new resource:

sepang trees and facelift extension - Sepang International Circuit reshade and trees extension

This is an extension for sepang track. You do need to have a base track to use this extension. Simply copy over the content of the folder.

Changes:
- all close-by palm trees have been replaced by better looking ones
- background forests were planted in place of single 2D boards appropriate
- grass and kerbs were reshaded to add wear&tear for more immersion
- grassFX added to near and med-range grass, including nearby hills
- camerafacing crowds have been replaced by simple but optimised 2d...

Read more about this resource...

@BoBaHK there´s also another version available which is called "Malaysia" in the filename, instead of Sepang. Any chance you may improve this as well?

If you don´t have it send me a PM, happy to share it as well. We did some re-work already but without any extension files.

Looks great! This is a pet peeve of mine, but I suggest comparing your edits to the existing version on github, then you can add only the things that are new to this version so that any updates to the github version wont conflict with this one.
(I´m saying this because a while back I updated the github extension with rain and the full track lighting, however this version adds back the old lighting files.)

Last edited:
Oh... extension inis are on github??!? Amazing! I haven't seen any references to github in any extension files. As a community, we would benefit soo much from shared version-control system and OSS collaboration model. For future projects my plan was to ask around here and on GTP to see "who's got the latest version" and personally decide if I like any of them as a starting point. Happy to follow-up on this.

Yes, and you can download them automatically or manually with content manager:

Asking around to see "who´s got the latest version" is, imo, a terrible way to go about it so I much prefer adding to and using the stuff that is hosted on github now.
It has some limitations tho; while you can add new kn5 files to the repository, ini files on github can´t read new texture files so half the things you did for this track would be better suited as an additional skin.

Oh, that is nice. I've seen CM referencing some things from github, but wasn't sure how this might work. Since you have contributed to https://github.com/ac-custom-shaders-patch/acc-extension-config/blob/master/config/tracks/sepang.ini, maybe I can ask for some guidance? Maybe there is a doc/description somewhere on assettocorsamods net already?
- how do I package the extension for github? Are there conventions to use? all-in-one .ini or I've seen _lights being separated.
- what to do with textures? I don't see any $track_textures.zip files there.. will this work? I can package it to dummy.kn5 probably, but this is a bit ugly?
- who approves/merges PRs there? At what point community "embrace" a specific extension? Do players have a choice to pull the latest version?
Maybe assettocorsamods is a better place to discuss this..

"- how do I package the extension for github? Are there conventions to use? all-in-one .ini or I've seen _lights being separated."
dont think there are conventions for that per se; just need to match the kn5 name to the model replacement entry - and make sure you´re not replacing any existing file, of course!
as for the actual ini file, it needs to be named the same as the track folder name (or track kn5? not sure but im confident it's the folder's name)

"- what to do with textures?"
Release them as a separate skin; again textures aren´t read in the github file. The trees kn5 you made, however, could be uploaded since you´re using multiple textures there, i´m guessing you either added new meshes or just swapped some uv maps.
I´d advise against uploading a bunch of kn5 files; people would have to download a ton of mb for an extension, at which point you might as well make a new version of the track. But in your case, again, half the textures can be packed as a new skin an published here in racedept.

"- who approves/merges PRs there?"
Theres a bunch of maintainers there, you could send an email to rusty or trawa if you´re in a hurry or something. Personally I just upload stuff and let it sit there until someone takes notice, no need to rush that.

"At what point community "embrace" a specific extension? Do players have a choice to pull the latest version?"
There´s only 1 version per track/car at any one time in the repository, that´s what you download through content manager (automatically or manually). As to what the community "embraces", well that´s all personal choice - you´ll see a bunch of people making loose extensions in gtp and whatnot. As I said, I prefer to use github for most things - if I don´t like an extension there I can turn it off, make my own version or "fix" it, if there´s something obviously wrong, and people can just download it autmatically, no need to do any manual search on some forum.

It can go to sepang folder - afaik, it will therefore override any patches in central folder (at least I believe it will). So you can simply copy content into your content folder and everything will be added in the right place. You might have vao patch already, but I often re-bake it with higher max distance settings for deeper ambient shadows. However - feel free to replace it however you wish, obviously.

it is for base sepang. acu_sepang is based on sepang, but might not be fully compatible (e.g. some renaming might be required). Search for just "assetto corsa sepang" or consult one of tracks spreadsheets

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 266 67.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 178 45.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 190 48.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 82 20.9%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 106 27.0%
Back