Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Grats on the graduation to the triple screen setup :) After a while you will not miss the lack of vertical height as you will be too busy being engrossed in the larger peripheral image you are dealing with.

Alex, your setup is pretty much perfect, nothing too add. My own laboratory starts to get messy, i switched from pneumatic to a hydraulic one, overpressurized it and then there was this "blob" and there all kinds of liquids in my face now..... Also added a secondary air-tank that creates the airsrping.... Won't be posting pics, it's way too gaffa-tape at the moment. I need to figure a good rigging for the cylinders, then i'll post. Momo force doesn't feel like momo anymore, i can feel the pedals now.. Now all i need is a pump that's controlled by FFB ;) no, it will never work but i can dream...

Jim - Totally agree. Spent a couple of hours in iRacing last night, and what a difference! - So much more immersive, despite the lack of vertical space.

Brill.

Mine aren't very adjustable, and only set at about 30 or so, not very high. Works fine for me though :)
Alex - I have the same monitor stand and was frustrated with the lack of adjustment.

What you can do it undo the hex head bolt on the pivot and remove the outer arms. You will notice on these outer arems that there is a small tab cast into the arm pivot. If you file this down with a metal work file and then reassemble, you will have unlimited arm adjustment angle. Once the angle is set correctly, you just tighten up the hex bolt and it locks everything down. :)

I have literally just finished doing this mod the other night - happy to take photos if you're interested.

Paul

I saw that when putting it together, and I agree it would allow for more adjustment, but I'm not sure there would actually be a benefit? The screens are fairly small, so the wide angle actually works OK?

Got pics of your setup now?

No photos yet Alex.. but hopefully very soon :)

Essentially I am building a Frex style frame using 8020 extrusion as a prototype and will then once I have worked out the best measurements for everything, will build the final race rig out of round tubing.

Problem is it's very hard to find time with kids, house, work etc :(

Just found a pic of this is the setup I had some years ago. Pair of Nissan Micra seats that slid backwards and forwards for comfort.
looking down800.jpg

Some great and some not so great sim-rigs here guys, Alex above is just showing off Fanatec, shhmanatec. Nice rig dude, would be good if you could give us a roundabout figure on what you would expect to pay for a rig like yours?
I have a bit of a history of sim rigs, some good, some bad....some really bad. I'm sure many have, here is a couple of pics taken some time ago. The first pics are of when I was forced, due to space to accomodate the dwelling under the stairs.

100_0010.JPG

S5000735.JPG

S5000737.JPG

S5000736.JPG

S5000738.JPG

S5000739.JPG

These are whilst the rig was setup on a desk in our dining room.
DSCF0138.JPG

DSCF0139.JPG

DSCF0343.JPG

DSCF0349.JPG

DSCF0350.JPG

Nice one! Taken me back this has, while i sit at a desk with no wheel or pedals to lay my feet on.....hhmmmm gonna get that T500RS.

I have just upgraded my system and have a neighbor that is going to build my cockpit for me. It won't be much, but will post pics as I get them. I am now running eyefinity so I am sure I will enjoy it :)

Oh man, got bigger cylinders installed, now i get 4,5kg on gas, +6kg on brake and 12kg combined (that's the power needed to press100%..).. The linkage works better, the larger volume makes left foot braking very interesting.. Action is smoother, i could add more pre-pressure since i don't need all the clearance so i get a stiff pedal right from the start, it needs about 500g or more to start the movement.. Strangely, pedal sensitivity had to be adjusted precisely to 50%.

I also raised the whole pedal unit angle to 15 degrees, the force required made the foot slip when lying (almost) flat to the floor. Brake pedal is at 80 degree angle, very nice (they are still floor mounted, too bad..). The overall ergonomic improved a lot, wheel can now be at optimum distance (= closer) and feets are more horizontal.. Previously i had the "Prius" driving position, it felt like my feet were going thru the floor of the car and thru the tarmac. Now it feels like they are inside to car, if i would have to describe, it's close to GT car driving style. Distance from "ass" to the "floor" is now 23cm, that' is in the sport car range, i believe.

I think there is no better Momo in the world... I'm doing the usual maintenance of the wheel before the RDGTC starts, i'll take pictures then for the modding tutorial and some from the very modest cockpit..

EDIT: Forgot this.. There was one benefitial "bug", the cylinders i use now are 5ml disposable cyringes (cheap replacement parts).... They create a vacuum at the end of their travel when combined with grease used for lubing.. I fitted the throttle cylinder so that the piston goes at the bottom at 100% (well 102% if would go so far..) and sticks to it so that i don't need to use much power to keep the pedal pressed fully. It unsticks with ease but it takes at least 1kg off at the end. I also have to press little bit more to get the desired suction happening so it won't stick accidentally.. Sometimes the lady Fortuna is on my side ;)

The next operation is finished, and as soon as my cable arrived from the USA the Beta testing will start. If everything will work and last, it will be time to go to the town hall and start a business.

Before the aftermath began:
2011-07-31%2000.49.31.jpg

Then the postman rang twice: aktuator SCN6 and bearings
DSC_1525.JPG

Traction Loss Module finished
DSC_1557.JPG

My "old" rig in the "Air"
DSC_1561.JPG

They are unified :D
DSC_1564.JPG

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Yearly

Votes: 36 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.4%