Show us your Rig / Cockpit

I have been saving money for a long time and was finally able to upgrade my computer with triple screen monitors. I had small desk so I decided to build cockpit. I did consider buying ready made cockpit like Obutto or GT Omega racing but they were too pricey for me and I wasnt sure how comfortable they would be for my bad back and rest of deteriorating aging body. :)

nokia027i.jpg

nokia024.jpg

nokia023.jpg

WIP cockpit it made from 2x4´s, 12-18mm plywood and 30mm metal tube for the horizontal monitor bar.
Old BMW 316 seat is on rails and features height adjustment. Wheel/keyboard table is adjustable in height, angle, backward/forward . Monitors can be used both landscape and portrait mode and can be moved forward/backward.

I still need to make mouse stand and perhaps rack for inverted pedals.
It aint pretty but it works...for now. :)

Congrats Jari, that looks absolutely beautiful. Is such a car seat better for your back?

I had a PlaySeat before and switching to a real car seat (Sparco R100) was the right choice for me. I think most of those Obutto, Playseat or whatever are pretty cheap bucket seats. :/

Got bored today and wanted to give the Formula Two a go at Sebring (never tried it in rFactor2 so far). That's the combo and I highly suggest watching it instead of the video below: http://youtubedoubler.com/5PXv (just be careful and refresh if they're not starting at the same time, it looks pretty stupid if they're out of sync).

I love my rig and what I made of it - it once was a PlaySeat but all that's left is the metal base...because that's the only good part. :)

[medio]753[/medio]

Congrats Jari, that looks absolutely beautiful. Is such a car seat better for your back?
BMW seat is softer and offers more back support than my previous office seat so hopefully its little bit better for my back. First true test is when I drive my first RD league race with this setup. :)
Sadly there is no miracle cure for my problem but every little thing helps.

BMW seat is softer and offers more back support than my previous office seat so hopefully its little bit better for my back. First true test is when I drive my first RD league race with this setup. :)
Sadly there is no miracle cure for my problem but every little thing helps.

I did something similar early this year, although not as professional looking as yours, Jari. It does the job for me though.
I used an old Mazda seat and made a timber frame. All of the original car seat adjustments are working (but it doesn't have height adjustment).
Maybe not as comfy as a BMW seat but it is much better than the old office chair I used.
It has helped my back problems (aint old age great :() and probably given me a year or two more Sim Racing.

A couple of rough pics:

WarrenRigNov20121.jpg

WarrenRigNov20122.jpg

Please note the custom Sim Gear Shifter generously given to me by a good friend, a rather well known Hungarian "master" Sim Racer from our RPM days.
Pity Atti couldn't give me his driving skills. :whistling:

Very nice of Atti to pass that on, and yes, we would all like to have some of his skills in the cockpit :) Hope he is doing ok, haven't seen him for quite some time.

Whats your thoughts Steve? Do you prefer the E69 software or SimCommander3..??

Also, what projectors are you using?

I've not used Sim Commander 3 but I used x-sim2 and x-sim3 for last 10 months and E69 is so much more plug n play..it's brilliant. I can't imagine going back now :)
My projectors are Hitachi TX200's, they're only 720p but I love them :) They have great lens shift options so mounting wasn't too bad and didn't need to use any keystone.

I stopped using mine as I always got the feeling of understeer... maybe more time was needed to get used to the effect but after a month it was still there .. you look into the corner, you cant help it. what should be a help turned into a hindrance for me..:(

I don't want to be silly and sit on a chair and attach a wheel to a desktop. I have been planning on creating my version of the "playseat". I have all the materials in hand along with plans. Before I start cutting and nailing and sanding, has anyone built their own and have a better plan?

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 301 34.5%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 245 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 164 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 24 2.8%