PC2 Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg

First day back in the office for many this morning, what better way to pass the time than have a good discussion about the new Project CARS game?

Now the dust is beginning to settle around the recent release of Project CARS 2, we thought it a good time to look deeper into the game, driven by our community, and share our findings and impressions from the heavily hyped new racing title from Slightly Mad Studios.

Do you have some useful tips for getting the most from the sim? Found a magic setting to really unlock the FFB? Got a trick up your sleeve that helps bring sharper graphics for little FPS trade off? Or do you simply want to share your most / least favourite car and track combinations?

So long as it remains on topic, respectful and mature, we want to know your thoughts!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg

Undoubtedly there are problems with the initial AI. But after reading several posts in here I believe I may know why they are indeed so hard to program correctly. If some of these guys are driving like they post , then the AI have no idea where they are going or what they are trying to accomplish.;)

• Deleted member 99238

Here, many write that AI need to be seriously improved.
And tell me what is your chosen opponent skill level?
I can not catch up with them at a level of 77, and you there still something for them notice. :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back from the hunt for ranking points.
I was down to U-1402p. Now i won 3 out of 3 races, 3 poles i am at 1438 points.
1. race 8 drivers 1x E rank, couple of F +13 p ... 10 laps later 60 sec gap to 2.
2. 5 drivers F rank and U rank +15p ... 5 laps later 15 sec gap to 2.
3. 16 driver E,F, U ranks +8p ... 5 laps later 10 sec gap to 2.

Really want to know more behind these points, a post match screen like in overwatch or iracing ... solid 2 hours for 26 points gained vs the DC that lost me 30 points.

Edit: wait im now F rank 1438 points, didnt even notice the change so i gained +100 points?! makes more sense

Last edited:
I'll take that bet: Up to €15 for a beer of you choice if AI isn't improved AT ALL after two patches. Supply me with your PayPal details once this board has ruled whether there was an overall improvement.

If AI does improve, you shut up and board the clue train, where you not only realise that SMS care about pC2, but that they also put a lot of dev resource into AI (among MANY other things!).

Feel free to screenshot this post.
All 4 conditions have to be satisfied:
1) Useable AI on ovals.
2) AI not cutting corners.
3) Smoothed AI paths.
4) Far less AI just blindly driving off the track.

Edit: And I'm not counting the first patch, for multiplayer, as one of the two patches ;)

Last edited:
Here, many write that AI need to be seriously improved.
I agree
And tell me what is your chosen opponent skill level?
Initially I like them at 100 but may adjust up or down 5% after more time on the track. It gives me an idea what kind of lap times to expect in an online race against real drivers.
I do not have time for these guys at the value of 77, and you there still something for them notice. :roflmao:
Sorry, I have no idea where you are going with this:roflmao:

• Deleted member 99238

I answer myself to my question about the virtual mirror in the cockpit.
The virtual mirror works only on external views (bumper, bonned, chase camera). In the cockpit this mirror is buggy and most of the time it is not visible, but sometimes it appears for unknown reasons.
This is something that needs to be fixed with the first patch. :(

I think the word useable is far too subjective for a proper bet.
You're right. How about if a full field of AI can complete a 20 lap oval race without wrecking and be competitive at less than max difficulty & aggression?

This is an example of how it is currently unuseable, as maximum difficulty & aggression allows player to win a 15 lap race from the back of a full field:
. Also clearly shows AI cutting corners (far more common on road courses though).

Last edited:
You're right. How about if a full field of AI can complete a 20 lap race without wrecking and be competitive at less than max difficulty & aggression?
I'm not here to judge as I am often partial because I like the sim, but having watched many Nascar and F1 races I'd have to ask the same thing of them. AKA Michael Andretti, Alex Zanardi, Pastor Maldonado, Vittorio Brambilla, Andrea de Crasheris. I think you get my meaning. No doubt proper (and better) AI can be programmed, and I agree with your points 2, 3, and 4. Just figured since @ermo had the sac to actually step up and call the bet, we should keep it so there can be a clear winner declared.

I wondered how long it would be before the whiney nitpickers <snip> would surface. 5 days but that's better than pcars 1 as that was being hated on before it was released. If this was dull assetto corsa, you would all be jizzing off to it whatever the state it was released. Well all you're doing is spoiling the forum atmosphere for everyone else.

mod edited - no insults please

Last edited by a moderator:
I answer myself to my question about the virtual mirror in the cockpit.
The virtual mirror works only on external views (bumper, bonned, chase camera). In the cockpit this mirror is buggy and most of the time it is not visible, but sometimes it appears for unknown reasons.
This is something that needs to be fixed with the first patch. :(
clearly it is a bug.
you have to enter menu hud and come out again and it's ready

Back from the hunt for ranking points.
I was down to U-1402p. Now i won 3 out of 3 races, 3 poles i am at 1438 points.
1. race 8 drivers 1x E rank, couple of F +13 p ... 10 laps later 60 sec gap to 2.
2. 5 drivers F rank and U rank +15p ... 5 laps later 15 sec gap to 2.
3. 16 driver E,F, U ranks +8p ... 5 laps later 10 sec gap to 2.

Really want to know more behind these points, a post match screen like in overwatch or iracing ... solid 2 hours for 26 points gained vs the DC that lost me 30 points.

Edit: wait im now F rank 1438 points, didnt even notice the change so i gained +100 points?! makes more sense

No you gained 26 points.

The letter at the start is your safety rating. You have gone from unranked to F. Based on incidents, etc, it goes up, F,E,D,C,B,A,S.

The number is the equivalent to Iracing in Iracing. From what I understand a fee tho GS that affect this ik a race is, how many opponents, is their rating higher or lower then yours, how many laps, your end result, and I believe qualifying also counts.

All 4 conditions have to be satisfied:
1) Useable AI on ovals.
2) AI not cutting corners.
3) Smoothed AI paths.
4) Far less AI just blindly driving off the track.

Edit: And I'm not counting the first patch, for multiplayer, as one of the two patches ;)

You're right. How about if a full field of AI can complete a 20 lap oval race without wrecking and be competitive at less than max difficulty & aggression?

This is an example of how it is currently unuseable, as maximum difficulty & aggression allows player to win a 15 lap race from the back of a full field:
. Also clearly shows AI cutting corners (far more common on road courses though).

Two patches, not counting the MP patch? Sounds fair. :)

You win, you get €15 for a pint of your choice. Everyone gets to wait a little longer for AI improvements. You get to post a picture of your pint.

I win, you get to retract your statement about AI not being a priority. And everyone benefits from better AI.

(double post)
Still have to ask though Ermo, how come the AI have been released in this state? It's almost as if the testers (Q&A outsourced teams) completely missed or ignored these AI problems that many customers are complaining about. Surely it would have been better to delay release until the AI worked properly?

I reckon PC2 AI are a massive improvement over PC1 AI, but that’s not really saying much, as those were abominable. The latest AI at least show some degree of competence and awareness, and can under certain circumstances give you a great race. My main problem is their incredible inconsistency: they vary wildly from car to car, track to track, regions within the same track, laps within the same race, different weather on the same track etc etc. They can carry impossible speed through one corner and be way too slow on the next.

I can fully understand that the complexity of the new tyre model and live track 3 probably makes it difficult to achieve total consistency across the large car and track roster, but currently it’s just about impossible to know going into a race at a certain difficulty/aggression whether you’re going to thrash the field by 15 seconds or struggle to come second last.

It’s a shame that the game was released with the AI in the current state, particularly given the incredible presentation and the really solid driving experience. My initial enthusiasm about being able to race against PC AI without being constantly destroyed by grass driving psychopaths is starting to wane given how much fiddling I have to do every time I change car, track and weather.

I was pleasantly surprised at the vast improvement of PC2, so for all I know the AI could be 1 or 2 patches away from greatness.

Surely it would have been better to delay release until the AI worked properly?
Then you would have been whining it didn't get released on time, so in the end it's the same result. Except that those of us that prefer to race against real opponents would have been delayed too. To continue to make wild exaggerations is like beating a dead horse. If you had a valid point it would have been made and we could have moved on already. Tell me this, why is it always the guy complaining the bet isn't big enough, that has the alligator arms when it comes to reaching for HIS wallet? Ermo has the balls to say put up or shut up.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 299 34.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 242 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 160 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 23 2.7%