SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

The good news is that a bunch of people are beating on this and coming up with all kinds of variation. At some point people will start to fit into groups who like things to feel a certain way. Like the setup of a car.
It has been the case for a long time, SC2 is not the first DD wheel on the market and even with consumer wheels we had people gravitating toward one feel over the other.
Try to understand fundamentals and tune to your liking, some like smooth rubbery feeling, some extra details, some like it stronger, some can't cope with high wrists/shoulders wrecking forces, etc.
On Granite support forums we have dedicated threads for SC2 - title specific settings. While recommendations there may be all over the place, at least you can hear input from folks like Beano and others more experienced in iRacing with DD wheels and actually understanding what specific settings do.

FB group :roflmao:

Upvote 0
I'm still pulling information from all sources. I'm not playing favorites. I agree that Beano has a pedigree so to speak, and people tend to listen to him more than others. I'll also agree that the Granite State forums are currently the best place to look for information. There is no denying that.

I can't believe that you would suggest that there was a history with direct drive wheels before I got one! LOL! Yes, I know I'm a complete Noob about this stuff, so what seems new to me may be a rehashing of old news to others.

It's all good :)

Upvote 0
It appears that with all the multipliers taken into account that I'm actually running about 10.64 Nm maximum and it feels very comfortable and I am enjoying it. I'm back to focusing on improving my driving skills.

I think that the better a driver you are, the more you will notice what it does for you. I'm still working on consistency so I'm a very marginal test case for my opinions on it. At this point it is fading into the background while I'm driving.

With regard to the SC 2 Sport. From what I can tell, at least with iRacing it would be harder to not hit some clipping with it. However when I was clipping, I didn't feel anything odd and if you turned off the clipping warning, I'm not sure you would notice. My guess is that for 95% or better of the track there would be no difference in signal. The only difference is that the Pro can load up the wheel faster. If you adjust your slew rate on the Pro to not to be maxed out it would probably drop to the level of the Sport pretty quickly. These are just guesses based on what I believe I understand.

I will say that it appears that the Pro's out number the Sports by a pretty wide margin at least in the forums, so it's likely there will be a lot more profiles tweaked for the Pro.

Upvote 0
With regard to the SC 2 Sport. From what I can tell, at least with iRacing it would be harder to not hit some clipping with it. However when I was clipping, I didn't feel anything odd and if you turned off the clipping warning, I'm not sure you would notice. My guess is that for 95% or better of the track there would be no difference in signal. The only difference is that the Pro can load up the wheel faster. If you adjust your slew rate on the Pro to not to be maxed out it would probably drop to the level of the Sport pretty quickly. These are just guesses based on what I believe I understand..
Thank you for bringing this up. Currently on the fence buying either a DD1 or a Simucube2 device. Mostly you will read about the Pro, sometimes the Ultimate but almost never about the Sport. From what I see from the specs I would see the Sport as a contender to the DD1.
I test drove the DD1 and the McLaren GT3 wheel and was pretty impressed (aside from the cracking noise from the wheel and oscillation from the wheel base).
On the SimuCube website they advertise the Sprint as "comparable to the SC1" and the Pro as "the new Gold standard".

So, I would be interested to understand if I could expect DD1 performance from the Sprint and if the comments that SC2 is way beyond the DD products only applies to the Pro. Anybody with some insight on this?

Cheers, Rob

Upvote 0
I finally tried DR 2.0 with the SC2 Pro and I was shaking my head in disbelief at how bad it was. Then I realized when I reset the steering that Dirt Rally 2.0 had fallen back to having steering dead zones for game pads. Doh!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Hahaha. Dunno what I was thinking. Of course "Sport"
HE Pedals perhaps. Freudian slip. :)
SC Sport has all the features of Pro just lower NM, I can't think of anything that could make it closer to SC1 or Podium.

Upvote 0
@Andrew_WOT
Sprint pedals also on my list, so might have been along that line. ;)

Well, according to the SimuCube website also torque slew rate is lower.
The Sport misses the "High Response" part in the compare list, too.
Well to me that's just numbers and phrases, but what does it actually mean?

Does is feel more slow and less beefy and would I be able to feel that? Those are my thoughts. My only reference is the DD1 and my sluggish T500. The former on 35% in ACC and to me that was heavy enough. Response seemed quick, but what do I know? :O_o:

@RCHeliguy voiced, that he is actually glad he went Pro. But do I really need that kind of more torque or would I be clipping the Sport at levels I would want to play games. Not easy to judge if you didn't test.

Upvote 0
I came from the big mige to the ultimate and don't regret it at all. Do you need the Pro? Id say if you can afford it I would for sure. If you buy the Sport and find out it isn't enough you will definitely regret that. Id say for most semi serious to serious racers the Pro would be the right one.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

if you're in doubt, just get Pro, the whole Sport model existence esp. at such a modest price difference make little sense and just confuses people in my opinion. Guess GD just wanted to match Podium lineup.
If I had money I'd go for Ultimate, but the price jump is too steep for "just another hobby of mine", so it's Pro for me.

Upvote 0
In all honesty I was really happy with the big mige. Is the Ultimate better? Yes But for 95% of the people the Pro will be a big improvement over their last wheel. My thing was I didn't want to think it could be better so I spent the money and don't need to worry about upgrading that until the sims catch up. Even with the Pro the sims probably need to catch up before you need to worry about the wheel being the weak link.

Upvote 0
I received my SC2Sport yesterday. So far I am quite happy with the upgrade (I had T300). What confuses me know is that there are so many settings withing SC software in addition to AC ones. I am looking for a good starting point.
I found these setings on GD forums but they are for SC2Pro:
b3564a4961f5c92d9b403d04fd8c5ab735728ca1.png

He says ''just make sure to recalculate FF straight settings (Gain ) from 32Nm to what ever motor you’re using.''
How should I recalculate it for my SC2Sport? I am guessing the gain should increase a bit since I don't have headroom as SC2Pro has. But by how much? Until I start clipping?

Then there's this for cars with PAS where he changed the overall strength in SC software :
02f782579374946779e49da5bdf21489a4669026.jpeg

How that translates to SC2Sport?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Cheers lads, much appreciated insight @Andrew_WOT , @d69morpwr !

I agree, that the price difference from Sport to Pro is marginal. Leaning towards the Pro. I was just thinking that the money I can save on the wheel base can go towards the wheel. Not exactly cheap as well. ;)
What I will additionally do is catch up with my brother (DD1) and observe which torque is displayed when he drives. Just to get an idea if its more in the 15Nm range or 20Nm and above.

Upvote 0
Observing torque you will likely see a much smaller number than you expect.

The power rating is more about peak values and headroom to avoid clipping than anything approaching steady state.

As was mentioned earlier the SC2 Pro also has a faster reaction time which allows more detail.

Upvote 0
@RCHeliguy I get what you are implying. I was under the impression, that the display on the Fanatec Podiums will give you momentary torque values. Maybe not the true peak value, but I would assume that it should be in the vicinity of those.
Not very knowledgeable here to be honest. Just trying to get some values into perspective....
The faster reaction speed of the Pro might be the real benefit to the Sport when you are intentionally running low torque value settings.

Upvote 0
I received my SC2Sport yesterday. So far I am quite happy with the upgrade (I had T300). What confuses me know is that there are so many settings withing SC software in addition to AC ones. I am looking for a good starting point.
I found these setings on GD forums but they are for SC2Pro:
b3564a4961f5c92d9b403d04fd8c5ab735728ca1.png

He says ''just make sure to recalculate FF straight settings (Gain ) from 32Nm to what ever motor you’re using.''
How should I recalculate it for my SC2Sport? I am guessing the gain should increase a bit since I don't have headroom as SC2Pro has. But by how much? Until I start clipping?

Then there's this for cars with PAS where he changed the overall strength in SC software :
02f782579374946779e49da5bdf21489a4669026.jpeg

How that translates to SC2Sport?

Thank you!
Id turn the gain down in AC to about 32 and go from there. Somebody posted this along time ago it worked really well. I never had any luck with AC trying to run the gain at 100.

Upvote 0
Cheers lads, much appreciated insight @Andrew_WOT , @d69morpwr !

I agree, that the price difference from Sport to Pro is marginal. Leaning towards the Pro. I was just thinking that the money I can save on the wheel base can go towards the wheel. Not exactly cheap as well. ;)
What I will additionally do is catch up with my brother (DD1) and observe which torque is displayed when he drives. Just to get an idea if its more in the 15Nm range or 20Nm and above.

The one thing most forget is the stronger motors not only have more headroom but also do a better job of reproducing the small details even at lower ffb levels. That's what we are really looking for not insanely heavy wheels. In most cases ill never get anywhere near using the 32nm my base has.

Upvote 0
@d69morpwr
I do not want my arms broken as well. ;) The response is the important part and obviously the Pro is advised as doing a superior job to the Sport. Anything will be better than my current T500 of course.
Just came back from my brother and checked the readings on his DD1 while he was driving. Without dongle and 80% force ingame (ACC) the torque never went above 8 Nm. Not sure if this reading is worth something, but it felt strong enough for my taste.

Upvote 0
I'm ordering this weekend. This may not be the best place, but I'm new to DD, and Sim racing in general. Can someone recommend a "basic" starter GT type wheel, that's reasonable priced to get started with. Something that will bolt right up to the SC2.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 15 2.3%