Skinning Tutorial

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
I started this tutorial some months ago on RaceSimCentral, but after a while the graphics were lost. At the moment even the startpost was gone.

Recovered the text and reformatted it into a PDF.

Hope it is still useful for our members.

Attachments

• Race 07 Car Skinning Tutorial.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,383
Hello

I have problems with visibility of my name and flag on windows. What i can do to reach same visibility of name and flag as banners on windows.

Cheers

fxrslj.jpg

Hello

I have problems with visibility of my name and flag on windows. What i can do to reach same visibility of name and flag as banners on windows.

Cheers

You need to amend the alpha channel below the window letters and flags to be white (fully opaque) or dark grey (partly opaque).

Just select the letters in your text layer. switch to the alpha layer and pres delete. I always double up by filling the letters & Flags in the alpha channel in white after deleting.

My first post! Skinning question.

Hello.
First off a big thank you to Ramon for his excellent tutorial! Tried it, succeeded! Leads me to trying to make my own. A chance to learn photoshop and add to a great game I'm only just getting into.

A question - I have searched through these forums trying to find info about personalizing the interior of the cars. Can it be done or is the only mod you can do the changing of the nameplate and the various labels inside the car?
Thanks.

Where can I find the Templates for the STCC cars??? I dl the STCC Xfiles, but this does not have the templates in???
I would like to make a skin of a Audi A4, the same as our production car champ here in South Africa. His name is Johan Fourie.
:)

I'm working my way through all of the cars to create the Definitive team Bon Accourd. Basically started with those that I liked the mostm, now knocking off each of STCC, Race 07 and GTREVolution in order.

I've just noticed that in the stcc templates there's none for the leon (which I've already done for race). The design of the STCC leon is slightly different to that of the WTCC one (with funny wheel arches. Will the WTCC skin work on the STCC leon?) Same for the Beemers

Photoshop is great :) You won't need to download any images of fonts or numbers, your Photoshop should be able to use any font that is installed in your system. Just look for the A in your list where your paint brush is etc and click it to use the text tool.

Now if you are looking for fonts, that is a different story. I usually do a search for free fonts to see what I can come up with. Most sites have a preview of what the fonts look like so you can get an idea on how it will appear when you type it out.

Because of the way a DXT5 dds file is constructed (which is what the windows are) the channels screw it up on the default setting of the psd file. You need to:-

1. save the psd file so you don't lose any work
2. select "Layers->Flatten Image"
3. Then try saving as a DXT5 dds.

Photoshop is great :) You won't need to download any images of fonts or numbers, your Photoshop should be able to use any font that is installed in your system. Just look for the A in your list where your paint brush is etc and click it to use the text tool.

Now if you are looking for fonts, that is a different story. I usually do a search for free fonts to see what I can come up with. Most sites have a preview of what the fonts look like so you can get an idea on how it will appear when you type it out.
Jim I can't seem to find the A you talk about near my paint brush. I use Photoshop CS if that means anything.

@ Stuart. Thanks again Stuart, I have sort of skinned my first window :)

in the skinning forum there should be a thread on skinning faq's or something like that. Follow the directions given but remember that the online folder is now located in your "my documents" folder rather than C:\program files\

• Bert Van Waes

thanks for the guide, but is there an easier way to paint your car, are there pre-painted files you can download. If not, then i will use the guide and make a kick-ass paintjob.
again thanks.
I think this is a easy as it gets, lol:)

If you use the lasso tool with the straight lines you can get a long way from nothing in painting the car.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 52 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.3%