Skip Barber for Assetto Corsa

Cars Skip Barber for Assetto Corsa 1.6

Login or Register an account to download this content
Great to see some of the established guys giving solid advice :) Helps out guys like me, too! This is what the community is all about.

I haven't had a chance to throw it around myself yet, but I'm keen to give this little guy a go. It (the "not-Skippy")was a lot of fun in rF back in the day.

Thanks for all the work, everyone!

If you do make any improvements, just be sure they don't take any of the fun factor out of the car. It is so much fun to drive right now, please don't ruin that.

Big Thanks for the car! I've enjoyed my first turns on Asseto with the skippy a lot.

bAc9d69.jpg

Keep up the good work. ;)

Hey, little question, how is that "not need to package again for lod C and lod D", can you explain me more?

The best for me is to quote the 3D master artist @CC :
+ when you save the LOD you save the .kn5 with 0 textures at all only the main LOD stores the textures will be pretty bad performance wise compared to saving the cars correctly.

usually the LOD_A around 40-50mb,
LOD_B 0 textures around 2000kb , 2.0mb,
LOD_C under 1 mb,
LOD_D around 3-400kb,

Hey, little question, how is that "not need to package again for lod C and lod D", can you explain me more?
Hi Daniel,
Normal techniques when packaging the cars is that only the LOD_A .kn5 is the only file which stores/holds the textures, rest of the LOD for example B/C/D and so on,
these take the textures stored inside the LOD_A and are used on the rest,

quick example,
LOD_A// in your case skipbarber.kn5 should be saved like this,
upload_2019-5-16_11-30-20.png

the LOD /B/C/D you save like so with 0 textures,
upload_2019-5-16_11-30-6.png

its also important when making the LOD files to use the persistence file from A and use the same exact shaders on B/C/D also while dropping shaders and geometry,

some recent cars I have made for example LOD_A may have say idk 75 shaders, paints, carbons, metals and so on, but LOD_B may have say 45 shaders so I dropped 30 shaders,
trick is say you have a seamless metal on parts say at 0-12 meters in the A, but in the B its not possible to see these HR textures and seamless parts, so these are dropped and the shader adjusted so it appears there is no change, but in reality we dropped major textures and settings + lower geometry,

dropping the shaders and optimizing the cars together is what gives the highest performance ingame way more than just dropping geometry with optimizing the mesh,
hope this helps I certainly no master but we do try. :)

Regarding the mirrors this is a very common issue even payware content recently as these issues so do not worry some of the best guys still do not understand how to add mirrors and textures to the cars,
63a95c0a6d881409aff7e5b2b28c4d50.jpg

inside say 3DS Max I have a common kunos textures always on the mirrors visible just the mirrors like so,
ed818053bba515ddabde61c1627940be.jpg

this texture is the mirror.dds provided by kunos inside the SDK files like so,
bd468347f171cae7d0842adc9904e474.png

this as reflection settings provided inside the sdk this should remain there always and inside the LOD, although they only work inside A, anyways this is how official cars are created,

the trick is when doing "only" the UV to load a different texture to the UV mapping but not the car,
ill make a .gif,
3191e02d4686a4aacda9a33f8f88d4d8.gif

I already loaded the texture but shows what I mean, and like I say very very common issue with most cars/content but simple if you understand the techniques, so only use the MIRROR_PLACEMENT.PNG to only position the UV the actual mesh use the Mirror.dds and apply reflection shaders. :)

The mesh is called MIRROR_L and MIRROR_R,
inside the data inside the mirrors.ini its like this.
793474e27521eece70729bbb08eaa091.png

so 2x objects that use the 1x Mirror.dds, which share the same Mirror_Placement.png UV and inside the data 2x settings with 2x names.

Good ****, I'll be saving those myself for later.
Its important with these things to gain HR resolution to use all the UV,
usually I will XFORM the UV to a 4/1 ratio as the texture is for example 512x128 the MIRROR_PLACEMENT,
so its a ratio of 4/1, not 1/1 buy applying a 256x256 texture for example,
so basically I will use the UV Xform and apply the correct ratio to 4/1 then I will still stretch the UV so it uses almost every mm of the provided space like shown above gives the best HR res ingame, not using all the texture is why half the mods/content have low res mirrors and issues ingame,
but shows here and above how to use them correctly hope it helps. :)

Foundi it! it seems to be a error with blender 2.8 (yes im using the beta to the project, a big risk and ive paid for that mistake) cause inside blender it shows up like this:
View attachment 305835
but when exported it looks like this
View attachment 305836
guess Ill have to work arround that blender Beta issue.
Thanks for the feedback mate!
Make sure your export settings don't apply any additional smoothing. 2.79 has an option called smoothing which has normals only, face and edge. I'm 99% sure it should be normals only. Also if you use some kind of weighted normals in blender then it should export just as it is into ac (not the case with all games). However to be sure the issue does actually not exist inside blender too you could try turning on matcap (the silver one in 2.79 is pretty good) and see if you see those similar reflection discontinuations. If they are there then they are not added on export but have been there all along.

Hi Daniel,
Normal techniques when packaging the cars is that only the LOD_A .kn5 is the only file which stores/holds the textures, rest of the LOD for example B/C/D and so on,
these take the textures stored inside the LOD_A and are used on the rest,

quick example,
LOD_A// in your case skipbarber.kn5 should be saved like this,
View attachment 305947
the LOD /B/C/D you save like so with 0 textures,
View attachment 305946

its also important when making the LOD files to use the persistence file from A and use the same exact shaders on B/C/D also while dropping shaders and geometry,

some recent cars I have made for example LOD_A may have say idk 75 shaders, paints, carbons, metals and so on, but LOD_B may have say 45 shaders so I dropped 30 shaders,
trick is say you have a seamless metal on parts say at 0-12 meters in the A, but in the B its not possible to see these HR textures and seamless parts, so these are dropped and the shader adjusted so it appears there is no change, but in reality we dropped major textures and settings + lower geometry,

dropping the shaders and optimizing the cars together is what gives the highest performance ingame way more than just dropping geometry with optimizing the mesh,
hope this helps I certainly no master but we do try. :)
Oohhh i undesrtand now! Thanks so much!

Yeah, correct. I've been trying, but there's no way to get sequentials to work properly in AC. The best method I've come across is just increasing inertia of the transmission to a quite high level. Really there would need to be a system where it won't shift up if you don't let go of the throttle, and gearbox damage should be possible on clutchless, heel and toe-less downshifts.
I was wondering about that, now I know. Clutchless shifting is referred to as "floating". With a very close ratio gearbox, it is easy to do since changes in rpm are very small between ratios. With wide ratios, it can be tricky because "neutral" must be held as the rpm falls or rises (upshift or downshift) and that is impossible with a sequential gearbox without a synchro aid of some type, especially with a constant-mesh gearbox. It also has a bearing on how fast the gears are spinning. Large diesel truck non-synchronized transmissions turn very slowly so floating gears is possible, and is routinely done.

Whatever the transmission, the car is a lot of fun to drive! Thanks again.

Regarding the mirrors this is a very common issue even payware content recently as these issues so do not worry some of the best guys still do not understand how to add mirrors and textures to the cars,

inside say 3DS Max I have a common kunos textures always on the mirrors visible just the mirrors like so,

this as reflection settings provided inside the sdk this should remain there always and inside the LOD, although they only work inside A, anyways this is how official cars are created,

the trick is when doing "only" the UV to load a different texture to the UV mapping but not the car,
ill make a .gif,

I already loaded the texture but shows what I mean, and like I say very very common issue with most cars/content but simple if you understand the techniques, so only use the MIRROR_PLACEMENT.PNG to only position the UV the actual mesh use the Mirror.dds and apply reflection shaders. :)

so 2x objects that use the 1x Mirror.dds, which share the same Mirror_Placement.png UV and inside the data 2x settings with 2x names.
Thank you, this is very useful!

Looks way over powered this car by looking,
they are around 132HP all the models I ever saw,
they use the Dodge Neon SOHC engine from 97-99 I believe from all my research a while back making the engine.
Specifications:
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Camshaft Configuration: SOHC
Power: 132 hp (98 kW) @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 130 lb⋅ft (176 N⋅m) @ 4600 rpm

3D Model is not that accurate looking either but fine for what it is,
regarding the wheel blur issues, you need to switch it off inside the editor before saving the .kn5
2918fdfd3ae4c75d8ec055970fc60b2b.png

+ when you save the LOD you save the .kn5 with 0 textures at all only the main LOD stores the textures will be pretty bad performance wise compared to saving the cars correctly.
0ad37c6f974fff74190e3f376357d94c.png

usually the LOD_A around 40-50mb,
LOD_B 0 textures around 2000kb , 2.0mb,
LOD_C under 1 mb,
LOD_D around 3-400kb,

Mirrors want applying correctly inside 3DS Max the UV is unique to each mirror left and right,
the textures are located here.
\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\Common Texture,

Regards :)

It is way better right now :) thank you!
upload_2019-5-16_8-8-34.png

I must say I pretty much only drove the Skippy in iRacing, and this car pretty much mirrors that. The breakaway is very close If not exactly the same, steering and response are very good as well. Shifting seems fine to me, just the way it is.
Very close racing and this size car is perfect for most of Sergio's tracks !
Fantastic little car, and very well done. I know its been said already, but congrats to everyone on the development team !

I must say I pretty much only drove the Skippy in iRacing, and this car pretty much mirrors that. The breakaway is very close If not exactly the same, steering and response are very good as well. Shifting seems fine to me, just the way it is.
Very close racing and this size car is perfect for most of Sergio's tracks !
Fantastic little car, and very well done. I know its been said already, but congrats to everyone on the development team !
Thanks. Like I said the base car won't change too much (Not enough realistic margin for changes) but I think right now it might be too grippy overall and I have to tweak the F/R grip ratio a bit. And there was some outright wrong stuff in the aero, like how the underbody reacts to height and most likely how (not) compact the inertia box of the car is: I guess I was very conservative.

I was expecting more of a change, but really it's still very similar so I don't think the spirit of the car will change much. Hopefully just more realistic. :thumbsup:

First--fun car. Great work!

Next--if you aren't burned out yet on doing mods and want some ideas... cars that Assetto Corsa is sorely missing...
1. Formula-VEE
2. Radical SR3
3. Spec Racer Ford

I know you're aware of the minor things with the current version of your Skip Barber Formula car (left mirror, blurred wheels), so I look forward to the update.

If you want to go for the most realism, the real car features a Dog-box sequential gearshift without throttle cut (at least the versions I'm familiar with). Most sequential transmissions have a throttle cut so you can upshift without releasing the gas, while this, and a few other cars, require you to lift on upshifts to get a smooth shift. I think I've driven at least one or two other mods in Assetto Corsa that simulated this--if you upshift without lifting, there's a delay for the next gear to engage, and the audio helps to convey the incorrect upshift.

ill make a .gif,

I had an NSX with mirrors that just had that placement .png, I fixed them in the custom showroom in Content Manager, but I can't remember what I did!

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 293 42.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.9%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 147 21.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.4%
Back