Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

Put Steam in off-line mode until good instructions arrive.

Ignore Flamer, if he is not going to use Steam anymore he should not write tutorials plus all the profanity. This sucks yeah, poorly translated tutorial with swearing is not the way to go. What he says makes sense, it's basically my method reversed.. Except that it isn't... Full fresh install is possibly the only way to get everything fixed. Mods and track can be copied back to old address like before, the same goes for Install2 but with a twist: copy the gameinstalldir.ini from Install2 back to the default one (note,untested so wait until one confirmed success report comes...)

Steam modifying Steam content is NOT a crime, modifying files in your computer without your knowledge is NOT a crime... If you think it's illegal try suing Adobe, Google, Apple, Microsoft... It's called "AUTO-UPDATE" and you agree on it's terms by choosing "Keep the game updated automatically"... It's the core of any content distribution and management system, it's the essence, on of the main reasons why SimBin uses Steam in the first place. If that is illegal in your country, tough luck and have a good slide back to stone-age since you can't use computers anymore..

Ignore me?

Who are you, lord of the solutions?
I have to ignore me, to make the case to you, and be unable to play with your fellow steam and have 15-30Gb more in HD? some mods can not load the skins? If you do not what it says steam back to the situation pre update.
You're smarter than anyone that you can understand my post poorly translated and others not?
Did not work?
Spanish law also know? Have you read the contract of steam? and general conditions? in Spanish?

I see well that ignore me, I do the things that contribute to others, but thank you anyway.

I see well that ignore me, but you're in ignorant, besides not having any education. More proper to be a servant in a cave.

It's your attitude and the quality of the instructions that made me write what i did. I'm sure it has the right elements in it but since the translation is what it is, it's so hard to follow. It's very good that you contribute, really i appreciate your efforts, maybe you could ask if anyone with better english skills wants to edit and clean the text? I'm about 90% sure that i can make the roll-back work in the first try but even then i can't follow the instructions properly. It's just a language barrier, nothing more, very few of us are native english speakers so grammar errors are not a huge deal from time to time. Written shortmessaging has a notorious 75% information relay ratio, ie i write 100 sentences, you get 75 of them right, the rest are guesswork and this is with native speakers, with different nationalities and translation in between, the ratio drops close 25% where the message can not be understood anymore. Yes, i'm information technology student and yes, that is not probably what it is in english since i can't remember the right degree name in english..

But try to stick to the subject, there is no need to vent anger at the same time. It's like PETA giving out hamburger recipes.. I don't know what laws you have but if they make updating illegal, it shuts down the whole system. Modifying files on your computer without your consent ( hacking ) is illegal globally, auto updating with customer consent is not.. If you sign a contract with someone that allows him to enter your apartment any time to pick your trash, it's a poor contract but not illegal. I agree on the auto updating issues, i truly hate this kind of practice but there nothing i can do except stop using the product.. And i do if alternative software is around. And again getting hugely off-topic...

I repeat, do not update unless your sure you want to.. In a few days this issue is most likely a history, we get a nice and neat roll-back instructions in a nicely written objective tutorial. Most likely it will refer to your post in some way or another.

Ad as bonus, you got a reference to flamers in your username.. It really doesn't help you at all, a lot of people will take one look at it and skip the post... Trolls are using such nicks and i'm not accusing of such behaviour... Writing under your own name doesn't give real opportunities for such behaviour...

OK steam has made a mistake, and then admitted to it.. that's the first step in forgiveness...:thumbsup:
as a whole steam works really good for me so i will forgiven them.. we all make mistakes at some point in our lives , granted some more than others i made some right howlers in my life .. So ill be patient and wait...

If you didn't receive the 1.9.2012 Steam update you're lucky. They messed up, big time.. They accidentally changed the gamefile location and now they changed it back... unbelievable, i know.. But the game should work like it did a week a go again.It's just so unfortunate that the download size in both updates are so big and there is issues of having two installations, not all expansion were included in the 1.9.2012 update etc...

I am now confused!!
If its been fixed what do I do now? I've just launched Race07 and there is no fix update?? What's the score now?
Did your Race '07 installation change locations from Steam\Steamapps\Your username\Race 07\ to Steam\Steamapps\Common\Race 07\ ?

If it didn't then you don't have anything to worry about :)

The rest of us got caught by the weekend changes and have re-installed Race 07 and the DLC and expansions.

The whole situation is a mess and I'm not surprised you are confused.

Did your Race '07 installation change locations from Steam\Steamapps\Your username\Race 07\ to Steam\Steamapps\Common\Race 07\ ?

If it didn't then you don't have anything to worry about :)

The rest of us got caught by the weekend changes and have re-installed Race 07 and the DLC and expansions.

The whole situation is a mess and I'm not surprised you are confused.

Yes it did! So now I have to uninstall everything and start again?

@ Justin: If all of the Race series is working fine for you right now then please do nothing. Keep Steam offline (or turn off auto updates!) and leave it be.

Wait for the final confirmation that everything is working as it did prior to the weekend (Race On is still kaput; the rest of the SimBin games work fine for me) and then decide what you want to do.

I hope this helps.

I
Put Steam in off-line mode until good instructions arrive.

Ignore Flamer, if he is not going to use Steam anymore he should not write tutorials plus all the profanity. This sucks yeah, poorly translated tutorial with swearing is not the way to go. What he says makes sense, it's basically my method reversed.. Except that it isn't... Full fresh install is possibly the only way to get everything fixed. Mods and track can be copied back to old address like before, the same goes for Install2 but with a twist: copy the gameinstalldir.ini from Install2 back to the default one (note,untested so wait until one confirmed success report comes...)

Steam modifying Steam content is NOT a crime, modifying files in your computer without your knowledge is NOT a crime... If you think it's illegal try suing Adobe, Google, Apple, Microsoft... It's called "AUTO-UPDATE" and you agree on it's terms by choosing "Keep the game updated automatically"... It's the core of any content distribution and management system, it's the essence, on of the main reasons why SimBin uses Steam in the first place. If that is illegal in your country, tough luck and have a good slide back to stone-age since you can't use computers anymore..

Ignore him why?

Is it his fault that simbin decides to treat US their loyal customers like crap and start messing us about like we were some cattle in a field.

Maybe you don't mind but some of us haven't got time to change this and change that check this forum and check that forum, They should at least have the courtesy to have a representative go on the most popular user sites to explain exactley how best to resolve the issue

I'm not surprised he's cursing he unlike some he realises how frustrating and frankly out of order the simbin bigwigs have been. the guy has actually tried to help his fellow racing comunity, regardless of how poor you think the level of tutoring is, maybe if simbin acted even half as responsible he wouldn't need to be making tutorials in the first place, ~I for 1 appreciate his consideration. Not just that they don't seem to believe they have any responsibility for deciding to change what in essence is something we now own or at least use

If you ask me they should of provided clear concise instructions on the staem application itself, rather than their own interests of annoying advertising everywhere just to satisfy their own needs, because we are their customers, and I for one am very Bleep with this whole debacle

Well I don't know what to make of it all. I applied the update then applied Kennetts fix and all seems ok so far. I'm installed in the common folder which has confused SimRaceManager but oh we'll.

I don't know whether to leave it as it is or remove all Race07 and DLC content and start from scratch again? will Steam know I already own all this stuff still?

A simple "sorry for the inconvenience" does not work for me, and neither should it be acceptable to anyone else.
We have no all been messed around for days, uninstalling, downloading, updating, re-downloading the same old files. Moving files from one place to another and back again. Checking forum every few minutes for the fix to our problems.
Then there are the leagues and championships that have had to be put on hold during all this. Countless hours on steam chat trying to get peoples sim's running again. Now its just sorry, and PS: you will most likely need to go do it all again, to get it back to the way it was, the way it worked before being messed up for no reason.
Surely these things must be tested by them. Or do they just change things and update our games into chaos.
And not only that, their apology also comes with no further information on what we need to do to get our games running again.
Will there be a fix uploaded or must we go through all this again now.
I feel very sorry for the people that run with "capped" internet.

what really gets me though is why?

I mean the game is years old, by all accounts from what I read on the steam page their have been no security updates made...ie skidrow..P, and all of a sudden virtually without warning they jepardise their PR on reputation by making what they must of known are annoying and intrusive changes to the game with virtually no proper user help desk or page or anything..It was only ever going to hurt them

Bizarre and unprofessional

I,m dloading currently probably a waste of time but let's see what happens..:-(

Yep.. Its installed as new and ignoring all my previous content again
Had a look in GameInstallDir.ini and the install directory is back where it was originally x\steam\steamapps\(username)\race 07 so i'm going to move all content to this location and then change the install location address in the My Documents\SimBin\RACE 07/GameInstallDir.ini

see what happens after that

Why bother with that after 5 years.
What would be nice is to get proper information from Simbin and Steam.
Not just update our computers, stuff us around, and then say, oops, we will change it back
Skidrow copies have appeared a year or two ago at most, I think? People have been asking for it for a while now, and perhaps they just got to it now. They're not a huge company.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 31 8.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 27 7.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 9 2.5%