Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

It wasn't for skidrow, it's a purely Steam that messed up. The whole update was not suppose to happen on Race07 in the first place but it got mixed (probably) with another title doing this kind of update.

I do understand how angry it makes people, do you think i've taken this calmly? I got league race and 2 hours before, Steam tried to start updating once again... I immediately came here and advised everyone to do the same, it saved me that evenings race, advice was was on time well before the usual 19:00gmt race time.

I'm not defending anyone, Steam deserves all the crap they got coming for them but then go complain it to them, not to us. It's just venting frustration, doesn't help at all. More likely to get even even more angry about this, they go into this update travesty all ready fuming... And since we don't know what works and what not, better to stick with a functional game until a solution for roll-back has arrived. I think we'll dedicate a new thread to that which contains only the tutorials, no banter about how effed this thing really was...

No comment from me for the moment ! .... except unresponsible, unprofessional and such a little message in the middle of a page in their forum as excuse for bothering thousands of customers or users.

That's too much for me.
Steam will stay offline forever and as I did a good backup of my old Race07 folder, I'll do a manual restore according to the posts I'll see here and there ... and reliable advices.

Spent hours at my keyboard trying to help as did others too ... for what ???? nothing apart a monster mistake .... incredible for such a society.

I think we'll dedicate a new thread to that which contains only the tutorials, no banter about how effed this thing really was...

I think this might be a good idea.
I would simply like to know what steps to take to keep everything running correctly. All the complaints are not helpful right now (although understandable).
I've completely removed the lot, and started re-installing a clean Steam and Race 07 installation. So far, the new Race 07 install seems ok, but I'm edgy about the addons, especially Race On. I'm holding off with that one for now. I haven't added the others either, yet.

Jay Ekkel form SimBin wrote in another thread..

we did what...? We definatly did not screw anyone, and your assumption is a bit harsh to say the least. As mentioned in our own forums and as was mentioned in the other thread here on RD. This was a change from Steam's side of which we were not informed, we were as suprised as everybody else that the game out of nowhere did not function anymore!

So its down to steam...
i also have a download cap so its really effecting me....
but i will not loose any sleep over it, as it wont make it happen any quicker..
mistakes do happen...:(

Of course Simbin has nothing to do with this.
They know what they do and their own game construction ....so only someone at Steam, knowing nothing or little about this game without taking advice from Simbin ... decided to make this change ....... mistake with other games update ??? I don't believe it.

I

Ignore him why?

Is it his fault that simbin decides to treat US their loyal customers like crap and start messing us about like we were some cattle in a field.

Maybe you don't mind but some of us haven't got time to change this and change that check this forum and check that forum, They should at least have the courtesy to have a representative go on the most popular user sites to explain exactley how best to resolve the issue

I'm not surprised he's cursing he unlike some he realises how frustrating and frankly out of order the simbin bigwigs have been. the guy has actually tried to help his fellow racing comunity, regardless of how poor you think the level of tutoring is, maybe if simbin acted even half as responsible he wouldn't need to be making tutorials in the first place, ~I for 1 appreciate his consideration. Not just that they don't seem to believe they have any responsibility for deciding to change what in essence is something we now own or at least use

If you ask me they should of provided clear concise instructions on the staem application itself, rather than their own interests of annoying advertising everywhere just to satisfy their own needs, because we are their customers, and I for one am very Bleep with this whole debacle

It wasn't SIMBIN treating us like crap. it was Steam. Simbin had no idea Steam were going to do this. Personally i don't beciase Steam did this by mistake.

It wasn't SIMBIN treating us like crap. it was Steam. Simbin had no idea Steam were going to do this. Personally i don't beciase Steam did this by mistake.

Ok I apologise for that looks like I was laying blame at the wrong door

Anyways I have my game working once more, basically I think they have realized there goof and have re-edited the steam client so it is how it was before all this happened

here's what I did

moved the entire race 07 folder from D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
ignore everything before steam because your location will be different Which is now the location
we were asked to move everything to

to:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\oggmeista\race 07 which is the original location before anything was ever moved

Ok now if you've already tried to play the game you need to goto (when it comes up with config screen)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SimBin

unless you changed any of the names

here there will probably be 2 folders Race 07 and another folder race 07 install 2

Install 2 should be the folder that the game recently created due to the steam changes, inside here there is a file called
GameInstallDir.ini copy this file to the other race 07 folder

IF YOU DONT HAVE 2 FOLDERS

you need to edit the GameInstallDir.ini so move it to another location make a copy and paste in the default location

now open and edit this so it is the same address as the original location of your files and where you have re-copied the race 07 folder

that is :x\x\Steam\steamapps\[your username]\race 07

i've substituted x for what will be your own location

Now I just started the game as normal hopefully will work for anybody else who is having problems also :)

mines now working as it was before the "Mistake" :rolleyes: and everything mods, tracks are back in the original place:sneaky:

C: Programfiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/race07:D

but the confusing thing is Race07 is still in the common folder. :confused:

mines now working as it was before the "Mistake" :rolleyes: and everything mods, tracks are back in the original place:sneaky:

C: Programfiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/race07:D

but the confusing thing is Race07 is still in the common folder. :confused:

Isn't it rather C: Programfiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/YOURPSEUDO/race07 ? as before
Just this question in order to be sure there's no change again ?

Anyone checked if Race On is still installing in C: Programfiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/RACE 07?

Yep and it will take 2 or 3 days before they even figure out that Race On is still messed up. I already wrote PMs to Steam developers and called the support but you never speak with human on support line. It's like throwing money away. We should have had sponsored league race tomorrow with quite a lot of money in it, now there is that procedure to give sponsorships back etc, because the race should have been held at Imola 08 in Muscle cars (omg, why Race ON)

Imagine Steam as a workplace, while we are loosing nerves at 21:06 GMT time, there is noone in there working on it, because they're at home with their families just like other people. However this is incredibly bad move from them. Simple apologize won't make it for me. I put a lot of effort into something and it was all for nothing.

I just posted a support ticket on Steam: It says:

Hi,
Twice, recently, you seemed to have performed some kind of update on my PC, moving race07 content around. The first time I went on to do a race i had signed up for and your update insisted on running there and then, i could not postpone it. It locked my out for three hours and I missed the race. After your update most of the add on's I had, stopped working and I couldn't find any of my personal car set up files. The other day I came back to race again and another client side update started, apparently undoing all of the changes made on the previous occasion. Granted it was quicker this time but now the game won't start at all, my monitors go black and they all say unsupported format. So my questions are:

1. Why was I not given a choice to at least defer the update?
2. why was the update not tested better? The racing forums are full of stories of the problems this has caused.
3. What operations were performed the second time that now seem to prevent the game from running at all?
4. Have I really given permission in the terms and conditions of my steam license for you to perform this sort of operation on my PC without my informed consent?
5. Given the trouble that this has caused to lots of people would you consider compensating us in some way? Game vouchers perhaps?

Sorry to sound so brutal but I am really upset right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will let you guys know how i get on.

thanks

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%