Tactile Immersion - General Discussion - Hardware & Software

I''m looking into getting this amp:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075R445F5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2M8DEO6BEJ1QF&psc=1
mixed with 4 of these on each channel:

I really don't know a lot about exciters, not looking to spend a fortune but I think this should do the job, any opinions?

I went for this one; https://www.doukaudio.com/hifi-blue...-stereo-2-4-channel-audio-amp-50w4-p0211.html

Which seems a popular model.

Note that with that Lepy one you'll need a powerful enough power supply — which you can expect to be a good £15-20 quid. (it comes with a power supply)

I've just placed an order for the DSP 4X4 Mini with Thomann. My confirmation email shows they've added in a free Euro to UK plug adapter which makes me wonder if there might be a Euro type PSU included afterall. It does mention one in the description.

I will let you guys know if that's actually the case when it arrives.

Screenshot_20200603-090720.png

In the meantime, I've ordered a UK type power supply from Ugreen, just in case :)

I've just placed an order for the DSP 4X4 Mini with Thomann

....In the meantime, I've ordered a UK type power supply from Ugreen, just in case :)

ha! I was about to order a pair of these yesterday, but held back until I can identify a proper North American power supply.

I sent an email to Thomann requesting a recommended power supply for Canada/USA and they came back to me (albeit very quickly!) that they did not carry a PSU for my region.

@EsxPaul , can you snap a pic of the specs (or share what’s written) on the PSU once you receive it?

I’ll source a local equivalent to help out those on our side of the pond.

Once I can confirm that the local equivalent works, I’ll give that info to Thomann just in case anyone else has the same question as I had and didn’t read through the 131 pages on this thread thus far :)

@fasterbater No problem mate :)

I got some of my information from this review of the unit. It states that the required PSU output would be 12V and 1A although he did use one of his own with a lower rating and had no issues.

The barrel connector/jack measurements are 5.5mm X 2.1mm, centre positive.

51IcuEwg1SL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I've ordered this Ugreen version and hopefully you'll be able to source an equivalent in your region.

I will snap a picture of the included power supply as soon as it arrives (if there is one) and get back to you.

I forgot to add: I got those jack dimensions by a bit of guesswork, so could end up looking pretty stupid if I've got it wrong. On the Thomann page for the DSP unit, there are 'related products' shown at the bottom of the page. One of them is this PSU which is where I've taken those measurements from.

Last edited:
Possibly a very naive question, but have been through the thread and couldnt see anything answering it. Is it possible to use my old Marantz NR1601 7.1 channel AV receiver for sending a signal to a buttkicker gamer2 and later to Buttkicker LFE please?

Possibly a very naive question, but have been through the thread and couldnt see anything answering it. Is it possible to use my old Marantz NR1601 7.1 channel AV receiver for sending a signal to a buttkicker gamer2 and later to Buttkicker LFE please?

It has 50W x 7 — so I don't see why not.

EDIT: obviously... it's not going to work great because it's lacking the power. Have a look if you can use multiple channels for one signal.

Last edited:
50w per channel is ok for powering exciters but you'd need something with a lot more power for a BK-LFE. I only glanced at the specs for your amp online and noticed it has 8ohm outputs, many shakers require amps that support 4ohm. It's mainly recommended to use a Behringer iNuke or NX to power a BK-LFE. I hope that's of help.

with this amp:

and using my motherboard which is:

would I need an extra independent PCIe sound card to run 4 Dayton Pucks? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area just not too sure as the spec says this:
1591253671098.png

with this amp:

and using my motherboard which is:

would I need an extra independent PCIe sound card to run 4 Dayton Pucks? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area just not too sure as the spec says this:
View attachment 379250
it looks like it has 7.1 audio - so unless you’re using more than just stereo then you have plenty spare to run that amp.

Quick question for those with more experience:

( Using Simhub ! )
Currently running 2 x Sinuslive Bass-Pump III 80 W 8 Ω on a Pioneer A403R (Power output: 40 watts per channel (4 total) into 8Ω (stereo) ). This is fine for just 2 shakers but this amp won't be happy running 4 of those non stop and I actually want 5 shakers total.
4 for chassis mode and 1 back of the seat.

So was thinking to pick up a Pioneer VSX-516 for instance which can run 6 channels at 100 watts 8Ω each. Should roughly be around 50 watts RMS. Thinking this amp would be able to run the 5 shakers I want keeping in mind they won't be run at 100% capacity anyway. Have a ASUS ROG Phoebus soundcard for my headphones and using the mobo soundcard for the shakers.

Can I connect to the amp with optical and run 5 channels via simhub ?

This scenario is covered several times in this thread or forums, try searching. I can't remember when exactly but it comes up every so often.It's not a simple yes/no answer as specs and quality of the amplifiers used in such products vary greatly.Also depends what you intend to use on the amps.

1st Point
Something I mention often, tactile using tone generated methods like Simhub/Simvibe, in particular, can be very demanding on amplifiers. This depends on the Hz used for effects and how many effects are being used. Buttkickers with a heavy piston need a constant min of wattage and will exert even more strain on an amplifier than typical transducers and when using Simhub/Simvibe. This more than speakers will. So typically you are wanting to use a product for a means it was not really designed for.

2nd Point
Most AV amps will use 6-8 ohm, only some will support 4ohm loads, and those that do many only recommend this for front channels and not all channels. You may also have lower quality amplification for surround and other channels. Bass Roll Off can also be a factor as surround channels did not have to support low frequencies so some amps may be restricted for surround channels.

You'd still want an amp with plenty of headroom in its total output to what the tactile use and taking into account if the rated power is in 8ohm and if the amp even supports 4ohm as many do not. It is possible to overload the amp and in some this will cause damage or if it has one, an internal fuse may blow or the amp goes into shut down as its being over-driven.

3rd Point
Simhub/Simvibe do not use digital encoding/decoding like Dolby/DTS for multichannel usage. They output analog via the multiple soundcard jacks. So for an AV receiver to work properly with more than (stereo) or 2 discrete channels means, it will need the old and now mainly phased out analog (Multichannel Inputs). Digital wont work.

Very few models had the "Multichannel Inputs" used prior to HDMI being common. Even fewer amps in the last 5 years will have them.

It does appear you and some others are getting advice @jamescarruthers that (to me) appears to be incorrect or are based more on assumptions, rather than user ownership/experience or actual testing.

Over the years I tested several models of AV 5.1 or 7.1 units, still have these in storage. Yet they seem now very oversized for what we would be using them for.

Digital Amp Technology / NS20G Size Comparison

Conclusion = Possible Yes With Restrictions - Ideal = No
More budget tactile and models that do not use heavy internal pistons like (BK/Earthquake brands) so these may work with low wattages. It is possible to use a Mid-High end AV Reciever that has a decent quality of amps and power transformer which may still have two important factors below. In general, if someone had a suitable unit in storage, then yes it may have a use or bit of life to give. The reality is we are now showing suitable amps supporting 4 channels like the M4 that are cheap and ideal for many makes/models of entry-level or budget transducers.

Personal Advice:
Powering "Bass Shakers" (with pistons) my recommendation would be to invest in makes models of amps that other people have used for years. As shared on these forums the Behringer NX1000D while only supporting 2 channels. It will power the smallest BK to the largest in the BK Concert (2ohm) and few amps can do that for so little money and include the DSP they offer as well. These as amps are ideal for BK units. Cheaper amps like the M4 thats just released are now tiny and suitable for most other brands/models of transducers and exciters.

Yet even these I would not attempt to use multiple even smallest (Buttkicker/Earthquake) products.

AV Amp - Desired Supported/Factors:
(1) 4-ohm support (switchable or via menus)
(2) Multichannel Input Connectivity

Last edited:
@EsxPaul
Its quite clear when you go to order the t.racks DSP what it comes with, (which you highlighted).
Yes it will ship with Euro PSU and UK adapter.

Much fussing over nothing. :(

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 437 69.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 272 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 290 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 128 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 169 26.9%
Back