Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

It appears to have made no difference, whine is still the same and Index still grey screening everytime I touch it.

Do you power the PC from the same wall outlet as the servos?
Looks like you are making a ground loop via the USB connector for the AMC...

Also can you post some photos of the wiring? It seems like your body acts like antenna for the EMI noise conducted via the frame perhaps? I can't really say without seeing your setup.

Do you power the PC from the same wall outlet as the servos?
Looks like you are making a ground loop via the USB connector for the AMC...

Also can you post some photos of the wiring? It seems like your body acts like antenna for the EMI noise conducted via the frame perhaps? I can't really say without seeing your setup.

They are not on the same outlet but on the same wall that has 4 outlets. The motion is on one closest to the main breaker. PC and everything else is on an outlet a bit further along that wall.

I will try running the motion from a nearby bathroom via extension cord.

They are not on the same outlet but on the same wall that has 4 outlets. The motion is on one closest to the main breaker. PC and everything else is on an outlet a bit further along that wall.

I will try running the motion from a nearby bathroom via extension cord.

I would check if the ground of these two different outlets has continuity... in my house the ground connection in the outlets is non-existent!!

no_gound_outlets2.jpg

OMG! :( Some electrician should be shot!

Can you pull enough romex out of the wall to fish out the ground wire in both cables and both connect them and then ground them to the outlet?

The question is whether they all look like that, or if this is an outlier.

Hahaha... I know... Its a really old house, built at 60s. Back then the electricians did not require to provide ground lines except for stove or washers that have 220v...

Here is some interesting info from wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_and_neutral

Technical equipment
In North American practice, equipment connected by a cord set must have three wires, if supplied exclusively by 240 volts, or must have four wires (including neutral and ground), if supplied by 120/240 volts.

There are special provisions in the NEC for so-called technical equipment, mainly professional grade audio and video equipment supplied by so-called "balanced" 120 volt circuits. The center tap of a transformer is connected to ground, and the equipment is supplied by two line wires each 60 volts to ground (and 120 volts between line conductors). The center tap is not distributed to the equipment and no neutral conductor is used. These cases generally use a grounding conductor which is separated from the safety grounding conductor specifically for the purposes of noise and "hum" reduction.

Grounding problems
A ground connection that is missing or of inadequate capacity may not provide the protective functions as intended during a fault in the connected equipment. Extra connections between ground and circuit neutral may result in circulating current in the ground path, stray current introduced in the earth or in a structure, and stray voltage.[citation needed] Extra ground connections on a neutral conductor may bypass the protection provided by a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Signal circuits that rely on a ground connection will not function or will have erratic function if the ground connection is missing.

Last edited:

Can you pull enough romex out of the wall to fish out the ground wire in both cables and both connect them and then ground them to the outlet?

The question is whether they all look like that, or if this is an outlier.

There are no unconnected wires hiding in the wall, and unfortunately all my outlets in the house are like that...

And of course, apparently its not requirement for old houses... the rules apply only in new buildings... :O_o:
https://www.iccsafe.org/forum/electrical-codes/grounding-in-old-house/

Last edited:
Running it from an outlet further away via extension cord made no difference.

I did however learn that unplugging the one actuator that emits the high pitch whine stops the whine completely, but this sadly had no positive effect on the Index grey screening. Furthermore on this one actuator emitting all the sound, could it be a loose wire/solder point somewhere?

Running it from an outlet further away via extension cord made no difference.

I did however learn that unplugging the one actuator that emits the high pitch whine stops the whine completely, but this sadly had no positive effect on the Index grey screening. Furthermore on this one actuator emitting all the sound, could it be a loose wire/solder point somewhere?

Did you try to power the PC and the servos from same 110v outlet? This way at least, servos will have common ground with the PC and the Index

Have you tried wrapping the servo motor power Wires in aluminum foil with a stripped back bare copper wire wrapped up and plugged into the ground like I mentioned above. It's super likely that you have no sheilding in your cable.

Better to treat the source than the symptom.

If this fixes it buy shielded cable and replace the current junk.

I was reading something on one of the varying discords that someone created a (grounding) USB cable that basically just grounded the metal outside edge of the usb cable connector that is in the front of the headset, and then grounded that to the same point on the rig as everything else, so the cable isn't plugged in but you are basically fiddling with the usb cable so the metal connector acts as a ground wire.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 80 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 56 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.5%