The Future of Sim Racing - Mixed Bag or Single Series?

I like anything the Devs care to bring us, whether that's a mixed bag of assorted treats or a One Series dedicated Sim, the main thing (as I voted for) is what the game feels like.

I can see why it's good for Devs to concentrate on a Single Series (ACC) and I do see the benefits in that as Kunos have explained to us on the forums, the advantage of honing every minor detail and AI coding effort into One series is probably easier for them and in the long run better for the game itself. But on the other hand an assorted treats of various series/cars gives more variety, if you fancy something a bit different in your fave Sim then you have that choice.

But ultimately it all boils down to just how good the Sim is under the hood, there's no point releasing a single series BTCC if the physics are highly questionable and the tracks barely life like (The Crew Laguna Seca for a perfect example!), gimme good physics and a Dev that works for Passion and you have my vote no matter the content choice.

I love AC and his variety, as rF2 and AMS, for the quality of the content and hardcore physics model.

But, at this stange... I prefer something more polished, I think " Structured " is the word. As much as I love AC, rF2 and AMS, when I touch RaceRoom or even pCars2 (I know, i´m not talking about physics here), the feel and the immersion in a race is really outstanding. Championships, the race atmosphere... is all there, God, even F12017 or GTR2 is enjoyable sometimes. I repeat, I´m not talking about realistic physics as I never drove an F1 or GT3 and never will discuss that. So for me, is all about having fun/immersion and feel that you are there on a race weekend. So, less content and more polished core/structure.

Hi all,
I´m missing in modern Simulations things like we had in the early Days brought to us from Devs like Papyrus. I loved Nascar2 and 3 were u have an InBuiltEditor to paint ur car and when u made a Pitstop u had a animated Pitcrew doing there work. Man these where days, why isnt it available in a modern Sim ? Dont we have the Power in our Systems to let that been shown ?
I will have a Sim concentratet on a Series like WEC or IMSA or both with the Tracks needed to show a hole Season in it.
I would like to see Products like we had in the early Days, like Indy Car Racing 2, Grand Prix 2 & 3, Nascar 2 & 3 and so on.
Yes i am a Old Bone but i´m still driving in Sims ;)
Just the Equipment changed :)

Good physics base is important but once you get to the sharper end of the physics the difference being the 2nd best or the best is relatively miniscule. What matters then is the content. Because I'm not into single seaters or gt cars the only way these sims will put the cars I want into their sims is by making the sims have multiple types of content. I like driving cars like the f40, the more modern supercars or the nimble and agile caterhams and ktms. Sometimes I want some historic touring cars or 90s dtm. No single series focused racing sim is going to do that. And even if it did and did it well I'd still want more choice of cars. Variety is a big thing for me.

Also I have a little problem with how the options are laid out in the poll. Ac is much better example of modding platform than rf1/2. I don't want to start a sim vs sim fight but I definitely want the game to be moddable but not like rf2. I want it to be moddable like ac. Just like with physics there is difference in quality and so there is difference in quality of modding. I don't mean the finished mods. I mean how well or utterly horribly the game supports modding.

So a perfect sim. Rf2 style physics depth with ac style car selection depth and good ac modding support.

I thought a lot about it AFTER I voted in the poll and after writing an actual rant post (which I rewrote often and did not submit in the end). Still sounds like a rant post but please do not take it too seriously. ;)

I think the best option is neither just having developers focus on single class sims nor mixed class sims. This sounds too restricting, like every developer has to go to the same direction. The good thing is to have a good mix overall. Some should focus on a single series, some should go for a mix. In a sense, it's the same we have now, don't we?

Classes/Racing series? For example, Formula 1 games, coming ACC, Nascar games, Dirt Rally, ...
Mix of classes/series? Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 1/2, rFactor 1/2, or even still Live for Speed or Grand Tourismo.

• Deleted member 241736

As in RL, variety is the way to go. Focus on one stream isn‘t sustainable. Also physics and graphics should be the guiding line.

I think a selection of series would be best. Like a base game that has say Clio Cup > Ginetta Juniors > BTCC and then add on for extra income like whatever the UK GT feeder series is something like UK GT4 > UK GT3 that might make use of a lot of the same circuits as the base game... Let' not forget the jewel DLC in the crown the HSCC add on that also uses the same tracks :D

I think Kunos are going in the right direction even though I won't be buying ACC. It was always a bit alarming the amount of cars they threw at AC but modability can fix a lot of its issue.

A sim which offers the sort of career experience Codemasters have so often done best, particularly in the original Grid and the most recent F1 games, however more fleshed out.

Codemasters would only need to add GP3 and F2 to their F1 games at the start of their career mode to create a far more complete package, even if the underlying physics aren't the most realistic or whatever.

Hearing that the visual novel-esque interview segments from F1 2010 are to return fills me with mixed feelings, as I doubt in an officially licenced F1 game they are likely to be fully fleshed out.

A heavily career based racing sim meets visual novel or racing sim meets role playing game could be a very interesting experience, albeit one with a likely target demographic of about 7 people.

Another thing I would like to see sim racing games explore more is a variety of approaches to racing car design. In an era where most series are ever increasingly homogenous; looking at how oddballs like the Tyrrell P34, the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, or the Chaparral 2J could be developed to compete on relatively balanced terms alongside more conventional designs intrigues me greatly.

Say what you like about Gran Turismo, but I can't help but respect what Polyphony have done with the Red Bull X-Cars and the Vision Gran Turismo project in exploring some of these ideas, even if some of the vehicles that have been imagined have been fanciful at best.

The market for realistic simulation is already well catered for, and with sims like RFactor 2 and iRacing in continued development, and Assetto Corsa Competizione looming on the horizon, something with a perhaps more "physics sandbox-y" feel to it could also be in high demand.

Something with a powerful but easy to use track editor/creator, tied to a high quality physics/driving model; would perhaps fill one of the largest gaps in the market. Allowing people to then edit things such as atmospheric pressure and makeup, for example, or the strength of gravity on said tracks, would only make for an even more enjoyable experience.

Overall, there are several clear gaps in the sim racing market, but sim racing is niche and overcrowded as it is, and whether or not these gaps will ever be filled is questionable, but I'd love to see it happen.

Have the majority of present Sims and have box loads of historical examples to boot (must get round to slinging them) and have liked and disliked many points of each and every one but to actually, one day have one Sim that fulfils my personal requirements entirely is just not going to happen, as in life, compromise is a given. Take it from an old exponent of Sim racing, this is a golden era we have entered, with yet more promise on the horizon, tiz a time to reap the reward of years with sod all to shout about to a time with plenty of quality variety, both single series and moddable jack of all trades.
I didn't cast a vote, as personally I feel an option was overlooked, Raceroom has a huge variety of cars/tracks, just as AC, AMS and RF2 do (to a point), yet RR is a dedicated race Sim, no SUV's, family run arounds or lawnmowers, just race cars and race tracks, modelled by their talented team, with the consistency of a single series (ok a few classes to update but getting there) yet the variety to keep anyone with ADHD content.
I like to race race cars on race tracks and for me there is only one Sim that supplies this.

I didn't vote because I basically would like to see a sim with a few select series and good modability. AMS is the closest thing I guess but has a bit more than a few series.

...yet the variety to keep anyone with ADHD content...

I have ADHD, I don't think a variety of content is what keeps someone with ADHD... err... content.

Honestly I'm not sure what does, as the adjective 'content' is sufficiently vague and humans are sufficiently diverse in tastes that very little could possibly qualify.

The closest thing I can think of would be the various prescription drugs used to treat ADHD, although from my experience they less keep me content and rather stop my leg from invoulantarily shaking and draining me of all my energy by the time it gets to 14:00.

Call me crazy, but I do enjoy the bits and bobs of it all. As I voted, physics and graphics play to that major part. For my own selfish reasons, I'd like to see more vintage tin tops again or even more vintage open wheel cars, with more than 4 makes to choose from. From the likes GTL once was. Yes there are mods, but we were talking of a "make" or "single series" of a purpose build not mods. I'm sorry I'm not on the GT3 gang, I did enough of that in the 90's and up with GTR & GTR2. I still prefer the older cars with a bit more of a personality.

I would prefer a mixed bag, variety is the spice of life. Regarding GTR3, I don't think it will happen soon, if you look at the amount of Jobs they are advertising......They are looking for a Physics Programmer :whistling::D

Good physics and Artificial Intelligence plus decent graphics make any content enjoyable. I highly value saving a game to continue later, as in F1, GTR2 and GTL.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 18 34.0%