The Future of Sim Racing - Mixed Bag or Single Series?

One argument that I dont understand is the career mode. Would be a lot better to have a career mode in a sim with various kind of racing because then you can replicate real life. On your way to F1 but your results are not good enough and teams may not give you a chance? Here is a chance to race at LM24 LMP1 and become a factory drivers that may or may not end up sending you back to F1, etc. Or maybe become a full time GT driver, get a chance to race at the Indy500, idk.
But I guess with nowadays gaming community a dev would not risk it as people would feel too frustrated, it must be fake 100% going to F1, etc.

I want to experience all sorts of classic cars (production and race). If I have to buy 3 games, 40 bucks a piece without extensive DLC, that's fine, but in reality they'd all have different physics and other pros and cons and then I'd be " *sigh* I wish this was more like game xyz " all the time. If they were all on the same physics base (all Kunos or S397) and all rocking good looking day/night/rain transitions, then I'd still feel cheated with multiple games because game A would not all tracks from game B.

Single series game shouldn't be the future. Rather then what Sector 3 does with their DTM subsections you can buy additionally but also use all the tracks with non-DTM cars.

Good physics, competitive/adaptive AI, VR ready, great graphics, custom championships, mod friendly, realistic weather with day/night transitions, but most importantly can we please get a finished product with maybe just one updated patch like the good old days.

Another vision I sometimes have, when I'm frustrated [with how rF2 runs or how pCARS2 feels or how only F1 games have a career and games with barely-sim-like, crappy physics like Gran Tourismo has the best graphics on puny hardware and Forza has so many awesome cars]:
One sim to rule them all and all the current sim-studios working together (like Assassin's Creed for example has a shlt-ton of studios working on it in the last year before release) the game would need to be financed with excessive DLC, but you could get away with one base game every generation of consoles. Everybody would want it and it would sell over 20 million units, it can have an easy mode that works well with a controller, it can have all the licensed cars from Forza and more, car models as future proof as what GT does currently, VR hardware designers would fight to work the devs, motorsport engineers would see this as good commercials for their sport, for their brand and as a talent-developing platform and support it with good car data and maybe even new ideas they had for their own professional simulations (that usually need a supercomputer, but still).

I know, I'm basically wishing for a 1984 dystopia in the making through a monopoly we are completely at the mercy of (basically how I had hopes for good physics in GTS, silly, I know), but if it worked, it could be great, which of course it wouldn't, but a man can dream.

I just wan't better AI, better features, better damage modelling, better crashes, better physics and better overall gameplay. That's not much to ask. I would love a modern Indycar sim. I would love Geoff Crammond to do a modern race sim. But for me most of all I want realistic AI and a realistic race series complete with podiums, chequered flag waving little people and just better all enveloping gameplay.

Make a sim with a solid physics base and an open modding framework and it will only be limited by the imagination of the community.

Wow, interesting. I'm amazed almost 30% wants a 'single series focus' sim, I would've thought variety would be the clear winner.
And it actually is. Options 2 and 3 (and maybe 4 too if you consider these will play anything) are basically the same.
I mean: option 2, AC = default content/mixed series + modding, option 3 rF = default content/mixed series (less but still existent) + modding, option 4 will play single series or multiple cars sim titles too.
Correct way to make this poll would be:
#1 single series like GTR2
#2 multiple car series and no modding like RaceRoom/PC2(?)
#3 some content + mods like AC/rFactor
#4 dont care, will play anything

Last edited:
People I think *do* want single series, but multiple single series - so you get a nice bunch of cars in one group, and then another group, and so on. If it drives well and gives me a good experience I'll drive it regardless of content, but I'd get far less bored if there's plenty of racing against other people.

Ideal option for me is: platform for complete single series with multiple series options ( can be via DLC, that's fine ) with mod support.

Wow, interesting. I'm amazed almost 30% wants a 'single series focus' sim, I would've thought variety would be the clear winner.

I'm not.
I think the vast majority of sim racers are hard working folks with families, kids and only have so many hours a week to race.

Take AC for example there's over 8000 mods here of which I might have 50 downloaded, and only use 10.

Gaming is my relax time after a day of making hundreds of decisions at work, I don't want to see hundreds more on my PC screen when I get home.

Not all will agree, but for me it'll always be quality over quantity, maybe that's why I still love GTR 2 so much.

I loved the first Gran Turismo and all Forza Motorsport for the variety in the choice of vehicles we gave. I'm not interested in simulators focused on one series. The exception is F1. As far as F1 from codemasters can be classified as sim :)

AC with a lot more focus would be great, add some cars to the GTA/718RS, more late 60's prototypes, more DTM 92, more GT4, all the GT3 as now, flesh out the cup cars with more of a similar pace to 500AC/MX5 Cup, FAbarth & 60's F3 as feeder openwheel series, 60's F1, some other F1 and done. Something for everyone!

Correct way to make this poll would be:
#1 single series like GTR2
#2 multiple car series and no modding like RaceRoom/PC2(?)
#3 some content + mods like AC/rFactor
#4 dont care, will play anything

In fact, I didn't vote as my choice is not really in the list. ;)

But there's maybe a choice too much in your list, Will .... GTR2 is a single serie but also a moddable platform..... so #1 is already included in #3.
( maybe not really fully supported, but GTR2 story for years shows of course nearly the contrary finally )

And of course, in your vote, I'd choose #3

In fact, I didn't vote as my choice is not really in the list. ;)

But there's maybe a choice too much in your list, Will .... GTR2 is a single serie but also a moddable platform..... so #1 is already included in #3.
( maybe not really fully supported, but GTR2 story for years shows of course nearly the contrary finally )

And of course, in your vote, I'd choose #3
It was not released to be a modding platform like AC and rF were, also I'm not sure if there is an actual sim with a single series that cant be modded.
Personally nowadays I'd prefer #3 only if it was like my earlier post, getting a bit tired of fully open modding games, even if you are free to install a mod or not in the end bad mods can hurt the image of a game and push people away if you dont have enough default content, IMO. Without that then my option is #2 but not a big PC2 fan, I prefer RR more but at the same time not playing it because it lacks 24h cycle, weather, driver swaps and rejoin.
In the end sim racing is a bloody mess of bad dev choices lol

Im missing option no. 5. ... focused on more different series .. like AMS or R3E.. so not sure which option is for me :) kind of mixed bag but not in AC style .

Kinda curious for you guys at Reiza that started from a "Series game" and evolved into a more encompassing product...

Honestly i think it's a case of "the grass is greener" as ever, simracing is perceived to be dominated by these hub games> people want focussed.
If focussed games started taking over the landscape people would start complaining about lack of content diversity.

I'll be on record saying that if Kunos wants to later expand Competizione to be more than just Blancplain (be it another series or extra unique cars), i'm all for it.

I just don't want to see any electric bs
Well eventually sims will be the only way to drive non electric cars outside of the odd exhibition show, so the whole point will be not to have electric cars in them..... sims will be perfectly positioned to give people the experience of racing petrol and diesel race cars but without the fumes...

The irony being someone slagging off electric racing cars when sat in their parents basement playing with a pixelated interpretation of a racing car....

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 30.6%