The Latest Automobilista 2 Beta Update Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new build of Automobilista 2 - and it comes with some significant reworking of the current simulation force feedback properties..

Yes, a new and fresh beta update has been deployed to the public version of Automobilista 2.. available to download the next time you restart your Steam client.

Given the designation of V0.8.4.0, the latest update to the sim introduces a welcome range of improvements and enhancements, not least of which is improvements to the brake behaviour and feel within the title - something that has proven to be a hot button subject within the community since the game released.

Also seeing further attention from Reiza developers is the force feedback within the sim, with a 'new default' profile having been added to take advantage of the changes in how ffb is represented within this latest and future builds. You can read more details about these changes in the update notes at the end of this article.

In terms of content, the new inclusions as part of V0.8.4.0 are three kart layouts for the Brazilian Interlagos venue, although physics, AI and artwork for a number of vehicles have been revised.

Update 0.8.4.0 Release Notes:

BRAKES
for all cars, including optimum temp ranges, wear, fade & failure properties have all been thoroughly revised according to the brake materials and specs of each car. These will address the brake failure issues from v0.8.3.2 and should hopefully provide more realistic wear and more "feel" on some cars.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

FORCE FEEDBACK: we have included an additional "NEW DEFAULT" profile featuring several Force Feedback developments, as an option to the "OLD DEFAULT" profile in the FFB UI - those with existing game settings will remain with "OLD" until they opt to switch to "NEW" . As the Gain, Low Force Boost and FX sliders work quite differently in the "NEW" profile, we want to give people the chance to opt into the new once they have understood how the Sliders may need to be adjusted.

Main differences with "NEW DEFAULT" relate to the Low force Boost slider. and how it interacts with the Gain slider.

In AMS2 "OLD DEFAULT" profile, Gain slider was a confusing device as overall output FFB path was setup badly, with Low Force Boost applied after Gain slider - this was problematic as essentially then you have as many combinations of what happens with signal as there are settings on Gain slider, leading to big inconsistencies (this explains some of the difficulties users had finding a good all-around FFB setting that worked well with all cars, specially on more powerful wheels).

With the "NEW DEFAULT" profile, Low Force Boost is applied before Gain slider, leading to more consistent behavior - it is now factored in the same order as AMS1.

Sample of differences in LFB curve with OLD vs NEW profile:

Reiza Update Image 1.png
Reiza Update Image 2.png

In the next build we will be adding further functions, including an updated tyre scrub formula & a minimum force configuration. Future builds will see a custom FFB multiplier per car so that users can fine tune each car to their preference. Once these and some other minor adjustments are completed, we believe AMS2 FFB will be ready for v1.0 release and by then "old" default profile will have been completely phased out.

CONTENT
  • Added Interlagos Kart track (3 layouts)
GENERAL
  • Disabled custom event date setting
  • Fixed bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track
  • Fixed multiplayer client rebroadcasting (could cause clients to be dropped from server)
UI & HUD
  • Added pedal input & engine power/torque data to telemetry screen
  • Fixed reported issues with VR / Triple HUD customization (needs validation, will reset any previous edit in those types of display)
  • Reenabled HUD selection for Options screen in-session
FORCE FEEDBACK

Added "New Default" FFB profile, with the following changes vs "old Default:
  • "Remapped" Gain slider
  • Improved Low Force Boost formula
  • A more detailed calculation of steering linkage ratios and how they influence force transferred over to the rack;
  • Overall small change in FFB output;
  • More accurate self-aligning torque and factors in residual Mz, camber inclination Mz; steer gyro Mz;

PHYSICS & AI
  • Updated brake disc thickness, optimum temps, wear, failure, fade properties with variations depending on brake material, fixing brake failure issues from previous build & improving brake feel on some cars
  • Minor adjustments to F-Classic tyre tread (all gens)
  • Adjusted AI tyre rolling resistance in F-V12, F-3, Roco
  • Minor AI performance update for Brands Hatch, Campo Grande, Donington, Guapore, Montreal, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Velocittá
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated missing LOD levels, cockpit display, rim blur, windscreen
  • Copa Truck: Added new parameter for Trucks to spawn in their pit slot rather then inside the garage, fixing bug in tracks where they wouldn´t fit the garage
  • Adjusted MRX & Roco collision mesh
  • Opala OldStock: Fixed bodywork mapping distortion
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added missing LOD levels
  • F-V12 : Updated #22 #23 community skin
  • Copa Uno: Completed livery updates for all cars in the series

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update 1.jpg

AMS 2 Header.jpg

Ive been using this for a while now. Its working ok and gives you the core data you need. There is some data missing that I want (ffb, stereing arm force, Inside/mid/outside tire temps), but its better than nothing.
Are you using the PCarsTelemetry app on the same PC as the game or are you running it on a different computer from the game? I’ve been unable to see any network traffic coming from the game on a secondary machine. Both systems are connected with hardwired Ethernet on the same physical network switch with that switch being separate from my router.

You do not if your wheel is configured properly. Even the old AMS has auto-configuration of each car's proper steering ratio.

Spikes mean your FFB settings are incorrect for your hardware. Simple.

#1 - already present

#2 - there is a Custom profile that you can do whatever you want with if you do not like the Reiza defaults

#3 - there are no spikes unless your FFB is set incorrectly or sub-optimally

#4 - already present...turn both down at the same time if you want less shaking. There is one more thing they could do to replicate AMS 1 settings, but not sure if that is planned

#5 - will be done by release time I am sure

#6 - Not sure what you are referring to?

#7 - Already been updated once...if others agree it is unrealistic, I am sure it will be updated again

#8 - You are allowed to adjust your own opponent engine sound slider--it won't hurt you. All sounds and sound balancing will be continuously updated until release date (and probably after, too).

1st - Dont know what you mean, I need to adjust steering ratio according to the vehicle I want to drive, otherwise the car drives awfully.

2nd- I like Reiza defaults I just hope they keep the different default options available since everyone has different hardware and some defaults work better for some and worst for others.

3rd - I said some vehicles have FFB spikes and others don't so not my hardware settings to blame.

4th- I only see 1 slider on world movement. Not sure what you talk about.

7th- Some TV side cameras have too much blur and replays have a lot of micro stutter.

8th- I know you can adjust the sound sliders but it still doesn't sound right and the sound progression is far from realistic

I’m just wondering if there are any Supercars aficionados out there that may be able to shed some insight on why the steering lock setting is unavailable for the Super V8 in the game. Do you think it’s just something on Reiza’s to-do list or is there a reason behind it? I checked the real world rules for the current year and didn’t see anything about this being fixed. Was this perhaps a locked value in the real series back in the generation of cars the game represents?

The only mentions I saw on Reiza’s forum were other comments about this being grayed out or just steering in general. I didn’t see anything specific as to why the setting is unavailable for the Super V8.

Are you using the PCarsTelemetry app on the same PC as the game or are you running it on a different computer from the game? I’ve been unable to see any network traffic coming from the game on a secondary machine. Both systems are connected with hardwired Ethernet on the same physical network switch with that switch being separate from my router.

Yes Im using shared memory with the app on the same system as AMS2. I didnt try the app with network, There is a server app included in the pCTelem install, I think you need that to connect pCars to the remote telem logger..

Just hope that soon they fix the need to set the steering lock every time we swap vehicle class

As mentioned, auto-rotation for every car and every class has been there since alpha. If it is not working on your hardware, then you have a settings or hardware issue. For example, on Fanatec, the auto-rotation only works if you have the wheel itself set to auto-rotation as opposed to a specific number of degrees. This may seem blindingly obvious, but lots of people have been tripped-up by it. People who come from AMS (which also had auto-rotation for all vehicles) already made these sorts of adjustments long ago, so are not used to doing it. rF2 also has this feature, as does iRacing. Not sure which sim do not have it at this point.

If you have some odd hardware that does not have an auto-rotation function or will not allow the game to take temporary control of the wheel's rotation, then nothing the devs will ever be able to do will help.

What are the names of the two specific sliders you are referring to?

World Movement and G-Force Effect. Drop them both to 15 or so as a starting point for your quest to get a smoother ride.

The AMS (1) system was superior in my opinion and could likely be replicated in AMS 2, but is not a high priority for sure. There are also the three sliders at the bottom of that page that affect the "second" cockpit view--the one with the helmet (assuming you also selected show the helmet).

do we still miss some virtual hand gear shift animation in some cars?

95% is implemented properly. What car is missing?

Probably a silly question, but is the pit radio / spotter working? I haven't heard a peep out of them, just the occasional subtitle, but I see people on the YouTubes with the odd "car left" or whatever. Or do we think that is CrewChief or similar?

TBH, I'm not really missing it, but I'd like to know if there's something I need to configure, or if there's a problem between keyboard and chair.

TIA for any light shed.

Probably a silly question, but is the pit radio / spotter working? I haven't heard a peep out of them, just the occasional subtitle, but I see people on the YouTubes with the odd "car left" or whatever. Or do we think that is CrewChief or similar?

TBH, I'm not really missing it, but I'd like to know if there's something I need to configure, or if there's a problem between keyboard and chair.

TIA for any light shed.

in-game does not work....CrewChief works great, and is far superior to any sims in-game spotter implementation anyway...

As mentioned, auto-rotation for every car and every class has been there since alpha. If it is not working on your hardware, then you have a settings or hardware issue. For example, on Fanatec, the auto-rotation only works if you have the wheel itself set to auto-rotation as opposed to a specific number of degrees. This may seem blindingly obvious, but lots of people have been tripped-up by it. People who come from AMS (which also had auto-rotation for all vehicles) already made these sorts of adjustments long ago, so are not used to doing it. rF2 also has this feature, as does iRacing. Not sure which sim do not have it at this point.

If you have some odd hardware that does not have an auto-rotation function or will not allow the game to take temporary control of the wheel's rotation, then nothing the devs will ever be able to do will help.

World Movement and G-Force Effect. Drop them both to 15 or so as a starting point for your quest to get a smoother ride.

The AMS (1) system was superior in my opinion and could likely be replicated in AMS 2, but is not a high priority for sure. There are also the three sliders at the bottom of that page that affect the "second" cockpit view--the one with the helmet (assuming you also selected show the helmet).

95% is implemented properly. What car is missing?

The steering auto-rotation works fine visually but driving feels much better when set to real degrees. For example setting Formulas to 270° or karting to 180° make the cars more responsive and with better FFB.

And G-force slider doesn't reduce the vehicle body shaking. The only way to reduce the car body shaking is to increase the world movement slider but again that will keep the world shaking. What I want is to stop world shaking wich currently is resulting in car body shaking at its max.

Then it still sounds like you have an issue on your end. With auto-rotation being set by the sim, it makes no difference what I set my wheel to in it's CP. No change in rotation, feel or FFB.

Not sure if I can tell the difference because of the High resolution encoder on my DD wheel. I'll give it a another go in a few days time.

Since the last update, after I spin of the road engine shuts down, I need to press ignition and clutch to engage gear, is that for everyone or is it something I messed on my settings. Auto clutch is enabled and auto ignition is on.

The driver model in the majority of cars is not properly implemented yet, with odd animations or none at all. I'm thinking it's probably not their top priority right now though.
yeah, me too. i see that stick there and the hand doesn't reach for them when i shift gears. however in some cars, the hand does. Hope they can complete this in the future

Since the last update, after I spin of the road engine shuts down, I need to press ignition and clutch to engage gear, is that for everyone or is it something I messed on my settings. Auto clutch is enabled and auto ignition is on.
I also have auto-clutch and auto-ignition enabled and noticed last night that the engine died after a spin. In my case though, the car automatically restarted. The engine start sound is what actually got my attention and made me think “is that new?” I was either in the Puma or the Chevette, can’t recall which.

Is it possible you were still in gear after your spin? Maybe the “trigger” for auto-ignition is being in neutral and not the clutch. Just a guess.

Am I doing something wrong as I feel I'm back in PCARS 2 again? Floaty non responsive no grip/feel kind of FFB? What happened?
I see people adding Angry icons when I said the above the other day but it is not me being critical but trying to understand what's going on. It is a legit question as I'm a £100 backer and big fan of Reiza and I'm unable to rave about the latest update. The previous update I was really pleased with the FFB but now it feels (to me) like I'm back to playing PCARS 2. I asked a question as to what I could be doing wrong so please don't display your anger at my comment but please try to add a solution to my issue, as other people are raving about the new update and I'm sitting here thinking it's a 10 fold backwards step. So, obviously I'm not experiencing what some of you are which is why I asked "Am I doing something wrong?". [/vent mode].

I see people adding Angry icons...
Chill out mate. Just one individual gave your post an "angry" reaction, hardly justification for your "vent" post. This is the internet. People are people. Let it go.

If people aren't responding to your query specifically then it's probably because we don't know what the issue is. The FFB feels fine to me, a marked improvement on the previous iteration, so I have no idea why it would feel so much worse for you. Try going back to basics, see if it helps:

- Temporarily disable Steam Cloud and delete the entire My Documents/Automobilista 2 folder, so that you get a fresh start with default values.
- Reset your wheel to default settings in it's own CP.
- Take the time to experiment with the in-game FFB sliders because the values required by the new FFB will not be the same as for the old.
- Try a bunch of different cars, as the FFB is not currently consistent across all content.

I had a great race with the AI at Jerez in the Pumas. I was routinely this close to him lap after lap and I never could find a way by unless I wanted to engage punterino mode. Admittedly, this may be an exception rather than the norm at the current stage of development. I just wanted to mention it because for whatever this one experience of mine was worth, it seem like “the ingredients are in there” for good AI experiences. We may just need to be patient for the meal to finish cooking.
PumaClose.jpg

... it seem like “the ingredients are in there” for good AI experiences. We may just need to be patient for the meal to finish cooking.
Yep, I agree. There's some real inconsistency between classes and tracks, and some rather odd behaviour to sort out (out laps, for example), but when you find a good combo the racing is generally very good indeed. Really good fun. Looking forward to seeing just how good the AI gets when it reaches the top of Reiza's to-do list. :thumbsup:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 44 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.0%