Cars The Need For Speed

The ZR-1 will be out before the 993, that's for sure :D
It`s only because your too busy to start 993, if you would it would be released, before I can poor myself a drink to celebrate it :p

On the other hand I`d love to see that Vette running as well, so I really don`t mind :D :D :D

Don't know about the 993. Still working on the ZR-1 though, but it has so many details :rolleyes: Stay tuned!

I think it's worth to mention (if it is not already known xD) that there is a mod that is becoming very popular now that adds better rain deitails such as rain splatters on car windows and windshield. So I think it would be very cool to have working wipers animation for the immersion aswell :)

You can see them working here:
https://streamable.com/z2twh

Last edited:
This is so awesome!
My first game on my first PC was TNFS SE, I have very fond memories associated with it. To this day I think it was the best in the franchise.

You guys are great!
Haha, I actually bought TNFS **BEFORE** I even had a PC to run it! I used to take it to one mate's place to play it - so good. I also took it to another mate's place who just happened to have a little brother who had another computer in his room which meant we could link up and race each other. However, I only remember doing this on one occasion unfortunately.

Hi guys, thought this might be of interest. A review article from Aussie car magazine INSIDE MOTORING back in the mid 90's. It's a good review I think. It's just a pity he doesn't mention the excellent car info section with its video, specs, voiceover - Enjoy. :)

'THE NEED FOR SPEED IMPARTS THE SENSATION OF DOING STUFF IN CARS YOU SHOULDN'T - EVEN IF YOU COULD.

I can't put it any simpler than this: If you enjoy driving and own a Pentium PC then buy The Need For Speed. The Pentium is the PC world's equivalent of the turbo-era BMW F1 engine and The Need For Speed is the most complete and fantastic game ever made. Believe me, get one of each - they need each other and you need them.

Using performance data from car manufacturers and American car mag Road & Track, game developer Electronic Arts has produced what is the definitive driving game for the foreseeable future. The Need For Speed focuses squarely on the primal joy of fanging on perfect public roads in a selection of eight delectable supercars, complete with oncoming traffic, pursuing police and roadside cows. This isn't a kidsy arcade game.

Besides pumping out graphic quality that leaves everything for dead, your Pentium will be calculating handling dynamics that are close to 100 percent accurate.

The game comes with six tracks (add-on track and car sets are due soon). And the best thing is that half of them aren't traditional closed circuits - they're twisting mountain or coastal roads that just seem to go on forever. One is a dead ringer for the famous Bell's roller-coaster into the NSW Blue Mountains, while the coastal road might as well be the thrash-begging Great Ocean Road.

Of course, you wouldn't venture on to such challenging bitumen without being suitably attired, For The Need For Speed, Electronic Arts has assembled a collection of cars which aren't gratuitously "super" but are the showcase of contrasting abilities and characteristics. This means you get to choose from a Lamborghini Diablo VT, Ferrari 512TR, Corvette ZR-1, Dodge Viper RT/10, Porsche 911 Carrera, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra Turbo or Mazda RX-7.

Perusal of the many Internet sites already dedicated to this game reveals the Supra, Ferrari and 911 are the most popular selections, which is surprising until you either play the game or drive these cars for real. All three offer the best compromise of top-speed performance, bottom-end grunt and "chuckability". The frequent first and second-gear twisty stuff needs agility as much as it doesn't need quirky idiosyncrasy.

But variety's the thing. There are multi-lane highways for the Viper and Lambo to stride along, giving you plenty of opportunities to use the excellent "multi-camera" reply facility as your thunderbeast pirouettes through the air after a 300km/h head-on with a cop car. Yes, it pays to develop your spill recovery and evasion skills here. And nothing's been missed - the traffic patterns feel right, radar traps are set at the bottom of long, steep hills and campervans only ever speed up on overtaking sections.

Merely driving these cars hard in such as perfect world is gratification enough, but to keep you amused the game has a range of competition modes. You can drive whatever you want, wherever you want, against whomever you want. Or you can betray the spirit of the game and turn everybody off and just cruise. Better still, you can get a modem and race against a mate over the wires.

The Need For Speed's contribution to life is that it imparts the sensation of doing stuff in cars you shouldn't - even if you could. That's a good thing and so it this game.

Ben Mansill is the editor of PC PowerPlay, Australia's serious games magazine.'

Last edited:
Soon...
0qKX9BN.jpg

p9JdUFF.jpg

hScOV0x.jpg

yAiE4CO.jpg

0VXnlOu.jpg

pKaGS1y.jpg

8Rtb396.jpg

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 23 31.1%