Cars The Need For Speed

People put small block Chevy V8s into anything... I know where to get a kit that'd let me drop one into my 944. I don't understand, but I know where to get one.

And let's not even talk about RX7s - at least there's a good excuse for an engine swap in that community, although I'm not sure I'd go with a huge, lumpen V8 as my first choice.

To be fair, swapping a turbo rotary to an aluminum na LS actually lowers the weight. And pushrod V8s are short enough to fit under the hood unlike more normal overhead cam 4/6s.

One engine swap that I think could really work is a Prius drivetrain into a Caterham 7. It's got decent power it's just in a fullsize sedan. Neither one is really built for top speed, just going 0-60-0 fast repeatedly. Might need to do something for front regenerative braking though to really get the most of it

Last edited:
That thing is in my E30...just posted it to visualize my point about engine building :). I've really only seen it the other way around, someone putting a smallblock chevy V8 into older bimmers (E12, E34, E30, etc.). That said I always thought the V8s out of BMWs own range fit the character of the cars much better but that's a different story.

As for the C4 I always loved the L98/LT4 but when thinking about actually building a custom engine I'm wondering about the choice of the low-compression, low output '78 (I guess LG4) engine block as a basis, hence my asking.

Well unfortunately I only bought the engine as a means of replacing the old L98 (rod knock at 165k miles) so I don't actually know whats been done to it. But trust me its far from slow and sure does love a good beating every so often (literally all the time)

To be fair, swapping a turbo rotary to an aluminum na LS actually lowers the weight. And pushrod V8s are short enough to fit under the hood unlike more normal overhead cam 4/6s.

One engine swap that I think could really work is a Prius drivetrain into a Caterham 7. It's got decent power it's just in a fullsize sedan. Neither one is really built for top speed, just going 0-60-0 fast repeatedly. Might need to do something for front regenerative braking though to really get the most of it
I'm with you on the LS, but the Prius gear in a Caterham would mean an automatic, no, worse... a CVT.
Would be interesting though.

Always thought a turbo flat-4 from a WRX would be the perfect engine swap for a RX-7.

I'm with you on the LS, but the Prius gear in a Caterham would mean an automatic, no, worse... a CVT.
Yeah, although I think it has a 1:1 ratio where it just locks the planetary.

I looked into it a tiny bit and you'd be better off getting one from a RAV4 hybrid, the Prius engine has some kinda extreme economy measures (14:1 compression, but cams that keep the intake open and 'waste' some of that so it expands more than compresses - so while it's on paper a 1.8L, it only uses about 1.3L on the intake stroke) so the RAV4 version has 50% more horsepower on about the same displacement.

I'm not sure if hybrid is worth doing in a car like caterham. I think going full electric might be faster in the end. That being said just for straightline speed any small turbo engine can output as much power as you have (had) money in the bank. Hybrid could be better for daily driver but

I would like to help with the textures if you guys are interested. I've noticed that the Diablo dials are too blurry.

I'll have to take another look at them but I remember I've used the best pics I could find for the gauges, unless you can find a better higher res pic to use? the other option would be to make them from scratch using vectors or 3D itself, but that's a very time consuming task (that's why I went with the higher res pic I could find and some PS adjustments).

If you're up for it feel free to improve them and I'll include them on the release.

I would like to help with the textures if you guys are interested. I've noticed that the Diablo dials are too blurry.

I'll have to take another look at them but I remember I've used the best pics I could find for the gauges, unless you can find a better higher res pic to use? the other option would be to make them from scratch using vectors or 3D itself, but that's a very time consuming task (that's why I went with the higher res pic I could find and some PS adjustments).

If you're up for it feel free to improve them and I'll include them on the release.

If you guys need someone to spend time drawing this in vectors, I can help.

Well, while we're talking about updates, I'm adjusting bits here and there, mostly visual stuff.
The Diablo got my new tire treatment that'll be a standard from now on with my mods so they're all consistent to each other, also some tweaks to the paint shader and kn5 optimization.

Showroom_a3dr_lambo_diablo_vt_9-0-2018-8-22-51.jpg

The 512 will go through the same process as soon as I have some time to do it.

Well, while we're talking about updates, I'm adjusting bits here and there, mostly visual stuff.
The Diablo got my new tire treatment that'll be a standard from now on with my mods so they're all consistent to each other, also some tweaks to the paint shader and kn5 optimization.

View attachment 230069

The 512 will go through the same process as soon as I have some time to do it.

Seeing this GORGEOUS Diablo (the last beautiful car Lamborghini ever made) makes me remember this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, wouldn't that be nice …

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 479 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 290 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 316 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 143 20.9%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 185 27.0%
Back