The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Destroying the tris eaters - rims and tires. Straight out of CAD they have 42.000+ tris (each, without tire). I tried to get as close as possible to the original shape and currently stand at 8k per wheel. The centerlock is my own design and probably wrong but I didn't want to leave it blank, it accounts for around 10% of the geometry.

The array isn't applied in these shots hence the visible separation lines.

Front left:

Rear left:

I overlayed the wireframe on top of the render the peasant way. Couldn't get the modifier to work as I wanted it just now.

Is 8k per wheel without tire ok? I actually added some smoothing lines along the spokes which the 400 million tris model didn't have so there's some room to optimize. :)

3,599 tris
IXnNRYT.jpg

And this is what it looks like in BeamNG.drive
9RSf0fo.jpg

Excellent previews, everyone! You all make me feel so spoiled. :)

@garyjpaterson - you are one heck of a modeller. Is modelling a part of your profession? Or are you a traditionally skilled artist who picked up 3d modelling easily? You do some very interesting work too. :D I love the detail you put into your work. :thumbsup:

@stingray_SIX_TWO - Why is the bottom of your tire flat? Are you running softbody simulation in Blender? They look great, by the way. :D From your first screenshot, it looks like you've created a very detailed tire to go with the beautiful rim. I can't wait to see it fleshed out in a final render. :thumbsup:

@DumitruM - Very nice. :thumbsup: I'm a big fan of the 5 spoke wheel design...especially in black! :cool:

@garyjpaterson - you are one heck of a modeller. Is modelling a part of your profession? Or are you a traditionally skilled artist who picked up 3d modelling easily? You do some very interesting work too. :D I love the detail you put into your work. :thumbsup:
Thanks, you're too kind. I'm not a pro, but it is slowly becoming a bigger part of my working life, and hope it continues to do so :)

Excellent previews, everyone! You all make me feel so spoiled. :)

@stingray_SIX_TWO - Why is the bottom of your tire flat? Are you running softbody simulation in Blender? They look great, by the way. :D From your first screenshot, it looks like you've created a very detailed tire to go with the beautiful rim. I can't wait to see it fleshed out in a final render. :thumbsup:

That tire is out of the original CAD model and is modelled with a tire contact patch. I used that shot to show the rim alignment. My tire will be modeled according to the original but without the patch as the contact area will be rendered in real time in sim. I will have to tell Blender which areas of the geometry to deform if I'm not mistaken but the tire will be round and much simpler than that one.

Those tires are responsible for half the geometry of the original model (~200k tris) :).

Mr. Perrinn was so nice to correct me on the fact that front and rear wheels are same size, diameter and width only with different offset in the rear. With this particular wheel this also means different shape and offset ring size. Modeled them on top of the originals only without the tire contact patch. The CFD model had 200k, the Onshape export sported ~110k with the centerlock. These babies come out at a combined ~50k, some finishing touches and optimizations and they should stay below ~60k. Size, angle and width adjusted to the original.

Here it is 'inside' the original tire:

Tire model is in the works I'm being told so all is good in open source Le Mans land :).

That.. is a awesome compliment. Thanks!

No need to you're welcome, that is just awesome texture work. My secret passion is actually textures and especially weathering...that Perrinn LMP1 will look like it's been through hell and back when I'm done with the textures :D.

So far I've only done them for aircraft so I have some experience with dirt distributing over a surface while airborne at sea...

Anyway that livery is awesome!!

am i too late for the rim show?
i mean look at this fanciness

170803scr_rim_mesh.png

and still 4000 polygons :p

Of course you got 4.000 it's almost all material and no holes:). I'm gonna guess this is also a 4x100 and this time in 13" is that possible? The design looks a lot like old BMW steel rims with that hub only they were 14" and a bit more spread out.

Yes it's my car and yes it's all rusty and otherwise rundown but it was a garage queen with 30k mls when I bought it in 2006, model year '85:).

Livery almost complete, just waiting on a few high res logo files. I particularly like the Ford, Toyota and Holden logos :p

0zf8J5Ph.jpg

vqi2lI6h.jpg

In editor:

TwQbduih.jpg

CsmnwSXh.jpg

BkeXTYF.jpg
wow @garyjpaterson I was actually standing next to this very car at an expo at the University of Canterbury last week. Let me know if you need photos. If it wasn't for your mod I wouldn't of known what it was. I chuckled to myself thinking wouldn't it be cool if this livery was made. Keep it up mate.

That's awesome man, you must have caught it just in time! Its now in the process of being disassembled in order to create both next years car and also use the chassis as the base for a simulator ;)
No need for any pics though, the team has given me just about everything I need.

Anyway, pleased to see all the fiddly exterior bits textured (some detail still to add), and in game for the first time. Just got to do the same for the interior too...

U871kOyh.jpg

l3zWMhQh.jpg

aPkPfrch.jpg

ysXFsY8h.jpg

J9WHmeNh.jpg

aQmIEjch.jpg

That's awesome man, you must have caught it just in time! Its now in the process of being disassembled in order to create both next years car and also use the chassis as the base for a simulator ;)
No need for any pics though, the team has given me just about everything I need.

Anyway, pleased to see all the fiddly exterior bits textured (some detail still to add), and in game for the first time. Just got to do the same for the interior too...

U871kOyh.jpg

l3zWMhQh.jpg

aPkPfrch.jpg

ysXFsY8h.jpg

J9WHmeNh.jpg

aQmIEjch.jpg
Outstanding work man! :confused::confused::confused:
-----
Only making liveries here...:whistling:
Showroom_rss_formula_rss_4_3-7-2017-23-39-46.jpg

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans