The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Received the news on Tuesday that the team are happy for me to release their 2016 FSAE car, so just been wrapping up some finishing touches to get it out ASAP.
Below is the Lod A and Lod B, C is done too, just need a super basic Lod D, a bit of quick external testing to ensure it all works and it'll be ready :)

LodA
custom_showroom_1516314717.jpg

LodB
custom_showroom_1516314719.jpg

I will do a photoshoot with next to its Audi "wing brothers" :roflmao:

There is some serious quality in your model, can't wait to try it around something twisty :inlove:
Haha, I hope someone does some iconic race liveries for it, the ones I have are a bit bland. In fact I dare someone to recreate an entire F1 season of liveries... :D

Quite a lot of effort goes into LODs considering that in theory no one should ever see it anyway. Went from around 250K+ tris to 37k, down to less than 15k for the Lod C. Main body was very simple, it was all the suspension and detail components took the longest.

I've compiled a shortlist of tracks that suit it most (and DL links) to try and ensure I don't get complaints of "this car is too boring at Spa or Monza" :roflmao: Because it will be, it tops out at 90mph and will corner almost anything at that speed too :p

Haha, I hope someone does some iconic race liveries for it, the ones I have are a bit bland. In fact I dare someone to recreate an entire F1 season of liveries... :D

Quite a lot of effort goes into LODs considering that in theory no one should ever see it anyway. Went from around 250K+ tris to 37k, down to less than 15k for the Lod C. Main body was very simple, it was all the suspension and detail components took the longest.

I've compiled a shortlist of tracks that suit it most (and DL links) to try and ensure I don't get complaints of "this car is too boring at Spa or Monza" :roflmao: Because it will be, it tops out at 90mph and will corner almost anything at that speed too :p
Le Mans is waiting

The design is very different but ill try to recreate my sussex university livery on it

You need the LUT for the speed of the electric engine just so it shuts off power over 200.

i.e. kers_speed.lut (or kers_speed0.lut, kers_speed1.lut, etc. in case you have multiple presets) like this:

Code:
0|1
200|1
201|0
Since this is an electric motor, that means a completely linear increase going from 0 to 200, right? Or is there a slight variation right at the beginning and/or right at the end.
Received the news on Tuesday that the team are happy for me to release their 2016 FSAE car, so just been wrapping up some finishing touches to get it out ASAP.
Below is the Lod A and Lod B, C is done too, just need a super basic Lod D, a bit of quick external testing to ensure it all works and it'll be ready :)

LodA
custom_showroom_1516314717.jpg

LodB
custom_showroom_1516314719.jpg
Based on the size and power of this car, is there a benefit to making the aero bits (front & rear wings) so freakin' big?

I've seen these types of cars many times over the years and I always wanted to ask someone that question. Oh...I just thought of another. If there is a benefit to making the wings that large/not your average size, would the benefit be similar if you put wings like these, scaled to match the larger size of the car & power, etc. onto an average sized/powered Indy/Formula car?

I hope you guys can understand these questions...I haven't slept in 2 days and my brain is running very slowly right now. :sleep:

Based on the size and power of this car, is there a benefit to making the aero bits (front & rear wings) so freakin' big?

I've seen these types of cars many times over the years and I always wanted to ask someone that question. Oh...I just thought of another. If there is a benefit to making the wings that large/not your average size, would the benefit be similar if you put wings like these, scaled to match the larger size of the car & power, etc. onto an average sized/powered Indy/Formula car?
Of course, FSAE is performance driven like any motorsport - ie if it has no laptime benefit it has no place on the car.

Yes you are right that the speeds aren't massive (typically less than 60mph on the specially designed courses). But what that means is you don't lose out from having large amounts of drag like you would on a traditional circuit. The gains you make on the corners more than make up for the lack in straight line stuff given the circuit characteristics.

The size is probably the maximum allowed in the rules.

In FSAE you typically see a mix of aero and non-aero cars. You can still be successful without the aero overall, as reliability and fuel efficiency is part of your overall score - but in the skidpad and autocross courses, you'll struggle to beat the well designed aero cars.

But typically only more experienced teams head down the aero route, as its easier to get wrong than right. It takes a lot of development to achieve something worthwhile.

Since this is an electric motor, that means a completely linear increase going from 0 to 200, right? Or is there a slight variation right at the beginning and/or right at the end.
I think, with no knowledge at all, that the car will have decrease of power at a certain rpm, like the Tesla

Also regarding this:

What Schnipp posted what just an ERS controller parameter. Tells the game when to switch the ERS on or off (or anything in between) based on speed. Nothing do with with the actual torque curve of the electric motor, that is done elsewhere.

What i've seen from the 4 motors in the FSAE car is that the torque curve starts at max at zero revs, stays flat for a bit (meaning power rises), then it slowly diminishes towards the end of the revs to keep heat under control (power remains more or less flat).

But of course all motors will be a bit different.

The electric motor has it's own power.lut where you configure the torque curve.

Let's keep it easy:
The petrol engine has a torque curve, the throttle controls how much of that torque is applied. (to keep it easy we take a NA engine, with turbo it gets more complicated again) Let's say we have a 100% linear throttle.lut, this means you apply 30% throttle then you have 30% of the torque applied for the rpm you are at currently.

You can modify this in by a non-linear throttle.lut, i.e. 20% on your throttle pedal of you wheel means 40% throttle of the engine in-game (this is usually done in motorsports to better control top end of the power or in newer road cars with their Eco/Normal/Sport modes).

OK, now the more complex ERS/KERS systems, these have more complex modifiers:
- speed: depending on the speed the car is at you can create a LUT
- gear: depending on the gear you can have a LUT
- throttle: depending on the throttle you can have a LUT

The applied electric power is calculated like this:
P = torque value * throttle factor * speed factor * gear factor

To show examples:
gear LUT:
Code:
0|0
1|0.5
2|1
3|1
4|0.8
5|0.5
6|0
1st gear 50%, 2nd + 3rd gear 100%, 4th gear 80%, 5th gear 50%, 6th gear 0%
(i.e. limit first gear for traction, high power for low/mid speeds acceleration, lower power on high gears to not waste too much energy)
each gear has it's set value

speed LUT:
Code:
0|0
50|0
80|1
150|1
180|0.5
200|0
0-50km/h: 0%, 50-80: linear scaling from 0% at 50km/h to 100% at 80km/h, 80-150km/h: steady 100%, 150-180km/h: linear scaling from 100% to 50%, 180-200km/h: linear scaling from 50% to 0%

gas (throttle) LUT:
Code:
0|0
0.4|0.0
0.5|0.1
0.7|0.5
0.9|0.9
1|1.0
0% to 40% throttle input: throttle factor=0, 40%-50% throttle input: throttle factor scaling from 0 to 10%, etc. (LUT to only apply electric power on high throttle input)

2 examples:
a) 120km/h, 3rd gear, 100% throttle:
P= torque value (at coherent rpm) * 1 (gear) * 1 (speed) * 1 (throttle)
So the torque from the torque graph is applied to 100%.

b) 65km/h, 2nd gear, 60% throttle:
P= torque value (at coherent rpm) * 1 (gear) * 0.5 (speed) * 0.3 (throttle) = torque * 0.15
So only 15% of the torque of the graph is applied.

This is only true for cars whose electric engine also uses the cars gearbox, for hub-motor or central motor with only 1 fixed gear you don't have the gear factor. (well, to be exact it's always 1 for driving forward at least)

Cars with manual override of course by-pass the scaling factors and you get max. torque as it's specified in the torque curve.

Last edited:
After making many dashboards for simhub, I'm trying to expand my photoshop knowledge and learning to make skins. I fancied having a go at the united autosports LMP2 for daytona (Alonso's car), but have only got as far as getting the 3d model to photoshop ready for painting. I have the URD PX2 so that's what I'll be painting the livery on. There's no template for the PX2 so am having to work it out as I go along, but getting the 3d into photoshop (extracted using 3dsimed3) really helps as it gives a wireframe overlay onto the texture for you. I've mapped out the relevant areas in the texure and scaled up the AO map from the original car livery to fit (from 2K to 4K)

Anyway, I decided to try and do something simpler first so I'm working on the Corvette C7.R livery from Daytona (as it's only really 1 colour) - making it 4K. I have got/made most of the sponsor logos so it's just a case of putting it together. Sorry don't have a screenshot yet will post one soon. I've never driven the C7.R so will be a good excuse to try it. :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%