The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

f0cpwEw.jpg

Some WIPs for my upcoming sim league series.

I'm with you 100%.

It's funny. I didn't really care for the Z4 street car when it first came out. But, the very first time I saw the GT3 model I fell in love. The street Z4 isn't my favorite car, but I appreciate it a lot more now.

I drive those e89s in real life. They are good, especially if you want a convertible anyway. The last light BMW. Even the 2-series is heavier. You sit very low and the open roof put the center of gravity to the back and lower. You need to get rid of the runflat tires and the heavy BMW wheels and it's one of the last (the last?) great BMW rides.

I drive those e89s in real life. They are good, especially if you want a convertible anyway. The last light BMW. Even the 2-series is heavier. You sit very low and the open roof put the center of gravity to the back and lower. You need to get rid of the runflat tires and the heavy BMW wheels and it's one of the last (the last?) great BMW rides.

I'd actually put the E87 in that statement alongside the E89 and call it a day as I think you're right it is 'the last'. That Z4 and some of those 1 series derivatives were the last to retain that 'modern era' late 90s BMW lightness and smoothness in its ultimate refinement without hyper numbing everything down to the level of an E Class Mercedes which happened in all F models that followed. Agree on the tire choice which is why I guess Alpina always replaces the runflats with standard high end Michelin rubber.

I've never had the pleasure of riding in the race cars but knowing someone who fixes them during the VLN24 I guess the racecar side is still the same as it was 10 or 20 yrs ago give or take while the road car side has drastically changed. The pre facelift E46 is truly the last analogue BMW. To this day ppl complement the smoothness and drivetrain refinement when they ride in mine (mind you '99 model with ~230k mls) plus the dashboard 'is that new? why does my F30 one look so shitty in comparison?' :D

YOP7m64.jpg

Added interior colours to the skins (blue, parchment, green, black) which for some reason had to happen before I could animate the doors opening. todo list is getting shorter. Green/blue skins here haven't been tweaked for the new shader.

30 seconds of GIMP to set up the textures for it - in this case, move detail's colour to diffuse, multiply by 5, then use an equivalent dark grey detailmap - and bam.
qa141Yu.jpg

I did get it working, not quite the way I'd have preferred (gonna have to be a 2 part mod install, one for the car, one to mess up your AC install that you can undo with jsgme), but it's nothing like as dramatic. I think AC does something weird to normals, that or this is not as close to 100% damage as I think.
7WsVUhh.jpg

ZghKo6G.jpg

Did you make something with the collider to get damage texture work nice? I wonder because on all my three cars (3 different colliders exported from blender) it's really hard to activate damage texture on sides of the car.
the front and rear damage works as it should, as well as collision, mask is ok also, really don't know what else it can be.

No, I just spent like half the lap sliding along the side rails. Usually a corner hit gets the front/back damage.
Indeed sliding helps to activate some more damage..
was comparing only with this giulia and she needs one small bump:
bvZueVT.jpg

and now i see that the other content works pretty alike with mine.
now only need to get rid of normal map compression artifacts.
x0QZej6.jpg

KIZZ7JA.jpg

4+5 hotkeys to open the back doors... not strictly useful but you can't get such a good look at the overall interior without it.

3bQjobj.jpg

6 hotkey to open the windows. In the movie they pretty much always have them rolled down... too bad there's no way to use these animations ingame. Maybe I'll have the 'complain' gesture have him roll down the window and flip people off.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 510 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 313 42.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 336 45.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 165 22.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 199 26.8%
Back