The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

50a44db71002a2d4ff4c6a429441efc4.gif

https://i.gyazo.com/50a44db71002a2d4ff4c6a429441efc4.mp4

Almost exactly like the first seconds of this (just with spin).

It's a little hard to capture just how much camber this thing gets in turns, no swaybars and relatively similar upper/lower arms means it peaks at about +-10 degrees. Somehow stock miata coilovers on the rear are soft enough to work fairly well for a 700lb kart instead of a 2100lb car?

VM3eUuG.jpg

zhCKGcq.jpg

It's kinda nose-up cause the irl one is using miata rear tires, I just haven't modeled those cause I don't think they'll stick around after something cooler is scrounged up

Last edited:
It's a little hard to capture just how much camber this thing gets in turns, no swaybars and relatively similar upper/lower arms means it peaks at about +-10 degrees. Somehow stock miata coilovers on the rear are soft enough to work fairly well for a 700lb kart instead of a 2100lb car?

VM3eUuG.jpg

zhCKGcq.jpg

It's kinda nose-up cause the irl one is using miata rear tires, I just haven't modeled those cause I don't think they'll stick around after something cooler is scrounged up
reminds me of 1nsane game, had some buggy like these!
very unusual to see in AC :)

Two things:
1 - Can I ask here whether you need photoshop to make skins for AC? Which software are you using?
2 - I've posted in my own thread that I'm having a (probably quite basic) problem setting up my UV/texture on my fantasy circuit. Should I ask for help here as well or just on the thread?

GIMP works fine but it doesn't import psd files perfectly so you kinda need to know a bit more about how the layers should work so you can correct them.

Illustrator is good for skinning cars, but not suitable for track textures.

Curious - What benefits do you find with Illustrator over just using vector shapes in PS? I suppose complex patterns in vector might be easier to accomplish in AI, but most skins I don't see it providing any benefit. And then when it comes to things like alpha channels and the like, you'd need PS anyways, don't you?

That being said, I use vector smart objects (copied from illustrator) almost exclusively for all logos so maybe I'm doing it backwards anyways...

I can afford both so yes I finish stuff in Ps but that is not strictly necessary. For that part the Gimp would be enough.

The benefits are (1) a massive gain of time because Ai has many tools speeding up the work massively compared to Ps and (2) features that do not exist in Ps and make complex skins easier.

For example, this skin would be a real pain to make in Ps whereas Ai makes it a lot easier with gradients and complex strokes that you can tweak forever until it is right.

Another example : for a skin I had to remake that rider design in sufficiently high res and different colors: https://i2.aroq.com/1/chinggis_khan_vodka.jpg In Ai you put the model picture in a template layer, you paint over it with your tool of choice (brush, blob brush, pen, whatever) and it takes 10 times less than the vector pen in Ps.

I can afford both so yes I finish stuff in Ps but that is not strictly necessary. For that part the Gimp would be enough.

The benefits are (1) a massive gain of time because Ai has many tools speeding up the work massively compared to Ps and (2) features that do not exist in Ps and make complex skins easier.

For example, this skin would be a real pain to make in Ps whereas Ai makes it a lot easier with gradients and complex strokes that you can tweak forever until it is right.

Another example : for a skin I had to remake that rider design in sufficiently high res and different colors: https://i2.aroq.com/1/chinggis_khan_vodka.jpg In Ai you put the model picture in a template layer, you paint over it with your tool of choice (brush, blob brush, pen, whatever) and it takes 10 times less than the vector pen in Ps.

Oo, good point on the strokes; I'm usually wishing there was more flexibility with PS. Also as skins are getting higher res and the need for thicker strokes rises, the raster nature of their implementation in PS becomes more obvious (faceted edge on large corners, more obvious the thicker the stroke). I might try shifting to an Illustrator method on my next skin for that alone. PS also doesn't have a good way of rounding corners, so there's that, too I guess.

Yes. Ai also manages mutliple strokes, unlike Ps.

Wait... What? I didn't know AI could do that. How? PS has been able to do it for a little while now; several layer styles can be applied multiple times on the same layer and reordered.

Another benefit of Ai is to open pdf files to get a vector logo.

Yep, I do that a lot; all logos I use are AI files which I copy and paste into PS as vector smart objects.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 0 0.0%