The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

:confused: uh I've been waiting for a good Sydney ever since I started following the WTAC broadcasts. Many tried but so far none made it to release worthy form

Hah, I'll also be watching that in person the day before I'm running there, that's on the 18th and 19th :D...yeah, the current versions around the place are all ye old RF1 era things and are missing most of the camber and eleveation change, incorrect/out of date kerbs etc., and the version in the upcoming GRID is way off aswell (which makes me wonder what they were even using as reference :cautious:)

Back on track after feedback.
Menaged to fix some errors, like more round roof and windshield, curved side windows and slightly different side curve as well thinner front pillars. Remapped body, and finished it mapping lights.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Ok ok, now i'll report you all to admins! Jokin'.
Thanks to all for constructive criticism, even if as gary said, i'm almost in that "point of not return". Modifying body now, i'll have to re-do every other piece. Obviously i'll check everything is possible to fix issues.
Funny, @Mirta27, i modeled my car using that blue car auctioned as my only reference! This time, in reality, i take my time to see all was parfect ( at this time, gtam was almost done), so i have to say isn't a problem of rushing, but more a competence one. I'm not an expert in photomatching, so car was almost perfect to my eyes.
To reply about your noted problems:
The roof, yes, seems more curved, i, as usual, take to much information on blueprints. It's not so curved, more like a flat roof, but a little bit is necessary. I think this can be fixed easier.
Windscreen seems more curved at sides, 'cause of sides, even the side windows, are curved a bit, more than my model. This can be messy.
Pop-ups, i went lo-poly for these, i'm aware of the difference, but i left behind in the work, because of the fact are always hidden and i have to find a good image to understand the "strange" shape of black body.
Side. This is critical. I think the curvature isn't right even on your photo, is like a mix of two. Isn't so round, don't get tricked by the door back side, look at the front one, that came perpendicular to the floor. Surfaces are not so curvy, but i suppose i went to much inside, in the immaginary line in the handle zone, i'll check, can be tricky as ****
View attachment 328060
You should use the door seam as a reference for the curvature, not the inside where reflections can play tricks on the eyes. That's where your model is off, since you haven't done any UV's try to match it to the real picture, otherwise it'll never look good.

If u follow the rear door seam here, you're tricked badly. The front is better, still not perfect. The fact is the vertical seams are not perpendicular to the ground, the back one is really diagonal, so when u see the car in perspective, the side seem to be more round that really is.
pant.jpg
Pantera_1973_RM_102.jpg

P.s. all is mapped, still, i'm searching for good photos or similar to catch the perfect curve

If u follow the rear door seam here, you're tricked badly. The front is better, still not perfect. The fact is the vertical seams are not perpendicular to the ground, the back one is really diagonal, so when u see the car in perspective, the side seem to be more round that really is.
View attachment 328262 View attachment 328263

P.s. all is mapped, still, i'm searching for good photos or similar to catch the perfect curve

That 3/4 view should be good enough if you do photo matching, there's nothing complicated about it, just need to learn to match your model to the pic and adjust as needed.

You could match the mesh to the curve in the side view, and then move to the perspective shot and move the vertices only in the X axis to match the curvature there. If you work with a full mesh without body cuts first, you could draw the door cut as a curve instead of using the mesh itself.

I hope that made sense. :p

I mean if it lines up from every angle, it probably lines up. So take some known hardpoints and work around those; like the side-view for example.

Have you considered turning it into the european spec? The euro-spec 911 Turbo is more beautiful and it appeared that way in NFS 4: High Stakes and Porsche 2000.

Slowly turning this into a very fast machine

View attachment 328278
View attachment 328279

Oh my God! ALREADY!?!?!
I thought you might have had a rest after finishing 'The Need For Speed' lineup A3DR. :)
FANTASTIC! - Donation sent! :thumbsup:

Your Carrera's are excellent by the way.
I must confess - like you, I haven't done any driving myself for a while. I've just had the AI do it and I've kept a log on lap times. Its been just a joy sitting back watching your 993's from different views.

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

993 Turbo -my old favourite- here we come!

Thanks again A3DR.

Last edited:
Have you considered turning it into the european spec? The euro-spec 911 Turbo is more beautiful and it appeared that way in NFS 4: High Stakes and Porsche 2000.

I'd have to agree with this - Those rear additions are quite noticeable aren't they. :thumbsup:
However - either way, we're all VERY lucky. :)

Last edited:
A3DR: "Making slow progress"
A3DR: *releases during the same week*

:roflmao::roflmao:
No need to rush this one, enjoy the stock 993 in the meantime! still needs the whole body kit done and I'm not 100% done with the shape of the rear wing, will end up matching a camera to my model and make some final adjustments from there.
Then there are UV's to deal with, new AO map, and some other details in the interior.

Oh my God! ALREADY!?!?!
I thought you might have had a rest after finishing 'The Need For Speed' lineup A3DR. :)
FANTASTIC! - Mmmm… where's that donate button again? :laugh:

Your Carrera's are excellent by the way. :thumbsup:
I must confess - like you, I haven't done any driving myself for a while. I've just had the AI do it and I've kept a log on lap times. Its been just a joy sitting back watching your 993's from different views.

View attachment 328349
993 Turbo -my old favourite- here we come!

Thanks again A3DR.
Cheers to that, then! (I'm waiting for a new controller to arrive so I can finally do some driving!)

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Don't want to say it out loud but yes, there's a good chance that might happen.

Like I've mentioned before, I wasn't 100% sure of the shape for the huge rear wing, so here's an example of how camera matching helps to fix these kind of issues

The vents and side fins needed a bit of adjustment, as you can see the vents extended further back
Screenshot_8.jpg

This is the result after some tweaks:
Screenshot_10.jpg

Most of it lines up so now I can say I'm happy with it. Side view looks better too (still no UV or AO)
__custom_showroom_1570536054.jpg

So I guess that's done and ready to move on to the rest of the body
__custom_showroom_1570536335.jpg

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 29 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 8 2.3%