The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

• Deleted member 223075

It was not easy but really good progress
u57k.jpg

• Deleted member 223075

Ok so i stop it now. No point of doing the same skin. also your skins are more advanced than me.

Pessio, I think you should spend more time on the early stages of modelling. Specifically on photomatching the basic shape of your model to the real car to make sure that it's accurate. This Pantera has some notable inaccuracies in comparison to the real deal, it's up to you to decide how minor they are.
I'm just pointing this out in case you don't realize it yourself, as constructive criticism, hoping that you'll make even better models in the future.

Based on Gr. 4 racecar reference from https://www.artcurial.com/fr/lot-1973-de-tomaso-pantera-preparation-gr4-no-reserve-3888-111 and google searched images of the road car.

1. The roofline on your model looks very flat compared to the real car, it has a very smooth curve in real life.
2. Either your A pillars are too thick or your black window frames are too thin. This makes the A-pillars look wider than irl. The window frames are very thick and detailed on the real car.
unknown.png

unknown.png

3. The windshield. Hard to tell from this angle but I don't think the windshield curvature and angle are right. Most windshields have notable curvature to them in all angles, look at the curved window frames.
unknown.png

4. The pop-up headlights are far off in curvature and shape compared to the real deal in all directions. The housing isn't a block in real life. Note how the housing makes the assembly look tall, as there's more housing on top of the headlight than below it.
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

5. The side of the car. This image should speak for itself. From what I can tell the Gr. 4 racecar shares the basic curvature with the road car, a barrel shape, complete with curved side windows. Your curve is very saggy towards the bottom of the car with flat side windows.
unknown.png

^ I pretty much agree - some could call it nitpicking but since you've shown such huge rates of improvement over such a short period of time its definitely stuff you can take into account going forward.

Its good advice imo to really just slow down a bit and take the time required to nail the overall shape in the early stages whilst you still can! You know as well as anyone else who has modelled something to this degree that its a royal pain in the ass to get to this stage and notice some inaccuracies. For the most part you just can't fix it now - any attempt would be excruciating.

The longer you spend checking and double checking the overall shape with as much reference as possible whilst the car is still very much in position to be edited without ruining any smaller details, the faster and more painless the rest of the project will be. The last thing you want is to get to the 'point of no return' and notice something is wrong - I've done it, i think most of us have, and its an awful feeling. :roflmao:
In those cases you are faced with the choice of leave it and hope it doesn't eat away at you and no one else notices, try and fix it and potentially break a bunch of other bits, or remake whatever is required - not an easy choice.

And finally, bear in mind the only reason I say all this is because you clearly have a ton of potential. The progress you've made from project to project has been remarkable, each gets cleaner and cleaner. Its at a point now where its so good that little inaccuracies in proportion are the only real aspect detracting from your work. :thumbsup:

^ I pretty much agree - some could call it nitpicking but since you've shown such huge rates of improvement over such a short period of time its definitely stuff you can take into account going forward.

Its good advice imo to really just slow down a bit and take the time required to nail the overall shape in the early stages whilst you still can! You know as well as anyone else who has modelled something to this degree that its a royal pain in the ass to get to this stage and notice some inaccuracies. For the most part you just can't fix it now - any attempt would be excruciating.

The longer you spend checking and double checking the overall shape with as much reference as possible whilst the car is still very much in position to be edited without ruining any smaller details, the faster and more painless the rest of the project will be. The last thing you want is to get to the 'point of no return' and notice something is wrong - I've done it, i think most of us have, and its an awful feeling. :roflmao:
In those cases you are faced with the choice of leave it and hope it doesn't eat away at you and no one else notices, try and fix it and potentially break a bunch of other bits, or remake whatever is required - not an easy choice.

And finally, bear in mind the only reason I say all this is because you clearly have a ton of potential. The progress you've made from project to project has been remarkable, each gets cleaner and cleaner. Its at a point now where its so good that little inaccuracies in proportion are the only real aspect detracting from your work. :thumbsup:
100% what Gary says. Modeling speed is not everything, it's great that you can pull it off so quickly, but now you see what happens when rushing things.
Hope this won't go to waste, photomatching is a must nowadays if you want to make an accurate model. I know it's a pain at this stage to fix proportion issues but it can be done, with proper patience.

Ok ok, now i'll report you all to admins! Jokin'.
Thanks to all for constructive criticism, even if as gary said, i'm almost in that "point of not return". Modifying body now, i'll have to re-do every other piece. Obviously i'll check everything is possible to fix issues.
Funny, @Mirta27, i modeled my car using that blue car auctioned as my only reference! This time, in reality, i take my time to see all was parfect ( at this time, gtam was almost done), so i have to say isn't a problem of rushing, but more a competence one. I'm not an expert in photomatching, so car was almost perfect to my eyes.
To reply about your noted problems:
The roof, yes, seems more curved, i, as usual, take to much information on blueprints. It's not so curved, more like a flat roof, but a little bit is necessary. I think this can be fixed easier.
Windscreen seems more curved at sides, 'cause of sides, even the side windows, are curved a bit, more than my model. This can be messy.
Pop-ups, i went lo-poly for these, i'm aware of the difference, but i left behind in the work, because of the fact are always hidden and i have to find a good image to understand the "strange" shape of black body.
Side. This is critical. I think the curvature isn't right even on your photo, is like a mix of two. Isn't so round, don't get tricked by the door back side, look at the front one, that came perpendicular to the floor. Surfaces are not so curvy, but i suppose i went to much inside, in the immaginary line in the handle zone, i'll check, can be tricky as ****
Senza titolo-1.png

Just following on from my post in the WSC thread, been pushing along with a scratch lidar pointcloud based version of SMSP

Was originally just a floating noodle of tarmac I made back in 2017 as that's all I wanted for my own use since I do supersprints there in real life (20th will be my 7th time running there), but then around the middle of the year some friends inquired about getting a better version to help them get familiar and prep for an event aswell...it's also going to be the final round of a sim-league I'm running in a group, so will hopefully have a mostly finished version for general release in time for that.

Ref photo has some epic actioncam distortion and the viewpoints aren't quite in the same spot, but you get the idea...still lots of tweaking to go etc. anyway

dUlkzo8.jpg

fWeZSFs.jpg

Older blockout video preview here:
And for giggles, heres my RL PB from 2017...which I really really need to beat this month...:O_o::

Last edited:

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 55 40.7%
  • Porsche

Votes: 51 37.8%
  • BMW

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • McLaren

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Intel

Votes: 16 11.9%