The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

hi there , i finish the 3d model of the LOTUS 16
here is the link if anyone is interested.
hope you like it. cheers

9.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Finished up the trackside cars for Miramas. I ended up making 15 unique models in total—5 Renault, 3 Peugeot, 3 Citroën, 2 Rolls-Royce, and 2 generic models.
1920s_Cars.png

Also finished spectators for the track. The default spectator texture looked out of place on a vintage track, so I made my own spectator textures which I think look a lot better. Initially I was going to make 3D spectators for the circuit, but the thought of modeling people made me want to vomit (uncanny valley vibes and whatnot), so I stuck with the camera-facing spectators. Here's a replay showcasing both:
Next up on the todo list is AI and groove lines.

Finished up the trackside cars for Miramas. I ended up making 15 unique models in total—5 Renault, 3 Peugeot, 3 Citroën, 2 Rolls-Royce, and 2 generic models.
View attachment 584897
Also finished spectators for the track. The default spectator texture looked out of place on a vintage track, so I made my own spectator textures which I think look a lot better. Initially I was going to make 3D spectators for the circuit, but the thought of modeling people made me want to vomit (uncanny valley vibes and whatnot), so I stuck with the camera-facing spectators. Here's a replay showcasing both:
Next up on the todo list is AI and groove lines.
This tracks looks so good! Can't wait to race in it! Love the trackside cars, they are a very cool detail that add more immersion when racing!

Currently working on my 1st project. Progress is slow and bumpy. I'm still not completely familiar with the basics, but it's been fun and sometimes frustrating up until now. To the people in here who know their stuff with blender; What's the easiest way to not make meshes on arrays clip with other meshes? Or should I ditch the concept of Arrays altogether?

Attachments

• 1658758562558.png
    1658758562558.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Currently working on my 1st project. Progress is slow and bumpy. I'm still not completely familiar with the basics, but it's been fun and sometimes frustrating up until now. To the people in here who know their stuff with blender; What's the easiest way to not make meshes on arrays clip with other meshes? Or should I ditch the concept of Arrays altogether?
I would keep the actual circuit as an array, but apply those side roads, cut them where they clip the circuit and shrink-wrap that edge to the main circuit, so that it stays connected if you move the circuit around.

I would keep the actual circuit as an array, but apply those side roads, cut them where they clip the circuit and shrink-wrap that edge to the main circuit, so that it stays connected if you move the circuit around.

To add, if you're not ready to apply the modifiers for the side/additional routes, you could achieve a similar thing with booleans.

Duplicate the "main" one, make it slightly narrower and then solidify it in both directions a few meters. Use this as the tool for a 'difference' boolean on the side roads, then shrinkwrap the cut edge to the main road surface, using "projection" in the Z direction (positive and negative) with the main road as the target. The seam won't be perfect, but if you're still moving things around this'll get you most of the way there. Once you're ready to collapse, then you can join them properly.

The actual final joining, at this point in Blender, is probably going to be all manual, though.

Reactions: je5
Hmm, I tried that. But it either doesn't do anything, or the Mesh is trapped inside the main road.
1658855622467.png

Doesn't matter if it's the exit road array, or a new independent mesh

Hmm, I tried that. But it either doesn't do anything, or the Mesh is trapped inside the main road. View attachment 586458
Doesn't matter if it's the exit road array, or a new independent mesh

At which step is this happening? During the trimming, or the shrinking?

If it's in trimming, blender's booleans often screw up, so if you're doing it all manually already then just trim it manually. If it's happening during the shrink, it's because all of the vertices are being shrunk to the main mesh; either use the "projection" mode in the shrinkwrap modifier, on the Z axis, or create a vertex group that only has the vertices of the cut edge on it.

Still banging my head on the desk with the suspension animations on the F3 car, and the dashboard design for the Chinook is... difficult. So I spent a couple hours on this guy, today.

Did the bodywork UV map and AO baking, then a quick splash of paint to start thinking about the primary livery. I may not wind up going this direction with the livery, though; not sure if I like it or not, yet.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 200922.jpg
Screenshot 2022-07-31 200947.jpg

Need to strike a balance between the 2013 LMP1 livery and something more fitting for the early 90s.

Still banging my head on the desk with the suspension animations on the F3 car, and the dashboard design for the Chinook is... difficult. So I spent a couple hours on this guy, today.

Did the bodywork UV map and AO baking, then a quick splash of paint to start thinking about the primary livery. I may not wind up going this direction with the livery, though; not sure if I like it or not, yet.

View attachment 587960View attachment 587961

Need to strike a balance between the 2013 LMP1 livery and something more fitting for the early 90s.
The graphics are very tasteful and flow well with the lines of the car. Bravo!

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 47 32.9%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 3 2.1%